PDA

View Full Version : New Battery vs Earthing Kit

Ru$kI
17-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Hi Guys.

Lately I've noticed that my car takes a while to start up, even if the petrol tank is on full. After having a chat with a few people...it seems I can either get a new battery or get an earthing kit, to solve my woes. So I was wondering which one would make the most difference and be the best "bang for buck" upgrade?

Cheers

destrukshn
17-09-2006, 10:16 PM
try the earthing cables.. cheap.. i used 2 guage cables, all toegther cost me like $20, that's including terminals.. lol, 2guage maybe over kill but ah wells.
lol

ICACHA
17-09-2006, 10:42 PM
how about you see Robert at Hanny's Performance and see what he says?

earth kit will not help your car start quicker so there is no point in wasting money on that...

aaronng
17-09-2006, 11:34 PM
I'd check your battery's cold cranking amp rating first. I installed ground cables and it didn't help the cold starting performance. It did help warm start performance. The battery on the other hand improved my cold start.

STTICH
18-09-2006, 12:16 AM
how bout checking ur spark plugs for a start?

Ru$kI
18-09-2006, 08:36 AM
how bout checking ur spark plugs for a start?

Had a service done last month...so spark plugs are fine.

I'd check your battery's cold cranking amp rating first. I installed ground cables and it didn't help the cold starting performance. It did help warm start performance. The battery on the other hand improved my cold start.

The car's warm start seems fine...but its the cold start where the car takes a while...so does that definately mean a new battery is the way to go??

Fhrx
18-09-2006, 08:38 AM
Aren't you getting a new battery soon anyway?

Ru$kI
18-09-2006, 09:52 AM
wells thats what I was gonna talk 2 u bout on Wednsday Marty...what would be of most benefit in my situation...the Earthing kit or a new battery.

I was planning on getting one or the other as together an earthing kit + battery is like $500...which is kinda steep...so im gonna do one now and probably one later

marte
18-09-2006, 11:42 AM
500 ? o.O who quoted you that?

vtek
18-09-2006, 12:42 PM
check the battery condition first. Earthing wires do not do much unless your car is old and the wires are worn and old.

aaronng
18-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Had a service done last month...so spark plugs are fine.

The car's warm start seems fine...but its the cold start where the car takes a while...so does that definately mean a new battery is the way to go??
Check the battery voltage first. If it is ok, check the distributor cap for any corrosion (white powder) and clean it out. .

For the grounding kit, you can make your own with parts from Jaycar (I have a DIY on it) as it is much cheaper.

For the battery, just get something good like an ACDelco battery ($100-110). Optima and Odyssey batteries are too expensive.

Fhrx
18-09-2006, 01:29 PM
...which is kinda steep...

No it is not. Research more before repeating that statement.

Fhrx
18-09-2006, 01:30 PM
500 ? o.O who quoted you that?

I did. We do our earthing upgrade kits for $199 and we sell Optima D34's for $315. Which is well below their recommended retail prices.

Fhrx
18-09-2006, 01:32 PM
On another note Ru$ki; you stated in your original post that the issue was that the car doesn't start immediately. Do you mean it doesn't turn over immediately or doesn't start whilst it is turning over?

If it turns over immediately but doesn't start then I'd run with George's suggestion and have a mechanical place look over it.

aaronng
18-09-2006, 01:46 PM
Yes, your D34 price is very cheap for an Optima. But isn't that too thick for an EK1 where the battery is next to the firewall?

ek4-guy
18-09-2006, 02:27 PM
I did. We do our earthing upgrade kits for $199 and we sell Optima D34's for $315. Which is well below their recommended retail prices.

How are you goin to fit a Optima D34 into a EM1 it doesnt fit into my EK4
an besides D34 weighs way to mutch for a lil civic at 19.5kg

Wouldn't he be far better off waiting the few months till the recommended redesigned Optima Yellowtop 51/51R (11.8kg) hits our shores again

I know because i have had a D34 for my car and it didnt fit so now im waiting on the new yellowtop 51/51R the drop in price is also a factor for me as 51/51R is a fair bit cheaper

also when they hit the shelves you can be assured they are new stock an have been on a shelf for who knows how long

Ru$kI
18-09-2006, 05:17 PM
I was implying its steep with respect 2 my budget...not with respect to the equipment itself.

No it is not. Research more before repeating that statement.

As far as the car not starting...im not quite sure on what exactly turnover means so ill describe in lamans terms what happens:

I put my key into the ignition..turn it and hold it until the car starts...the car starts making that noise just as its about to start (not sure if that is the turnover that you are speaking of or not)...and makes that noise for 1 - 2 seconds before starting. Previously it used to start within a second.

grumpy rooster
18-09-2006, 06:16 PM
Why not get a good quality Calcium battery? Will be heaps cheaper than an Optima.

JasonGilholme
18-09-2006, 06:26 PM
Ruski: Thats called turning over. :thumbsup: I wouldn't bother with buying a grounding kit. make your own. its easier and you can customise it to suit your needs/wants. For your situation though i believe a new battery is in order. if that doesn't help you might need some new spark leads etc.

EK4guy: :thumbsup:

mj3610
18-09-2006, 08:36 PM
do u mean on cold starts? why dont u try priming first?

im sure this will raise contraversy but here i go:
i've found optima batteries to be way overpriced, sure they're great batteries, but in the end its not like a century battery or a ACDelco cant provide you with what you need. IMO the century performance series are best bang for your buck, some people will probally disagree and say the optima is, but in the end its a personal opinion and a matter of an extra $200.

i've had the entry level century battery in my civic for 2 years with my system always running, and i've never had problems, i've even had the system running for 20-30 mins at a time with the car off. so for me the century was the same as the optima. exept i didnt pay an extra $200. if u want something better than what i had without spending alot, then just go for the perfromance series which has a longer cycle and is onli about $20-30 more...
and regarding corrosion, when i got gold plated terminals the corrosion stopped :)
p.s watch everyone sook about what i've said vvv

integraz
18-09-2006, 09:00 PM
500 is definately cheap, and if you guys have seen Martys work, and with those earthing kits that he has, they shit all over HKS, pivot earthing kits etc. and look pron as well.

I will one day get them done, as soon as more money flows in.

aaronng
18-09-2006, 09:44 PM
im sure this will raise contraversy but here i go:
i've found optima batteries to be way overpriced, sure they're great batteries, but in the end its not like a century battery or a ACDelco cant provide you with what you need. IMO the century performance series are best bang for your buck, some people will probally disagree and say the optima is, but in the end its a personal opinion and a matter of an extra $200.

I reckon, if you need an optima, pay the premium and get it. No matter what conventional battery, they are not tolerant of being discharged. If you plan to use your system without the engine running, then get the Optima yellowtop or its competitor, the odyssey. If you get a Century or AcDelco and run it til less than 1/2 capacity, the lifespan of the battery will be shortened.

mj3610
18-09-2006, 10:04 PM
I reckon, if you need an optima, pay the premium and get it. No matter what conventional battery, they are not tolerant of being discharged. If you plan to use your system without the engine running, then get the Optima yellowtop or its competitor, the odyssey. If you get a Century or AcDelco and run it til less than 1/2 capacity, the lifespan of the battery will be shortened.
yeah i agree.
i think if you run your system with the car off like at competitions etc then go for the optima or odyssey, but for everyday drivers like u and me then its really an issue of overkill IMO. :)
1 optima battery $$$ = $$$ 3 century batteries

Ru$kI
18-09-2006, 10:38 PM
I currently have a century battery...not sure about its exact specs...just that its yellow, lol.

As far as the DIYing the earthing kit...integraz is right...nothing u DIY can match what Marty does...I've seen it first hand. However, in saying that I guess Earthing kit will be done at a later date as I now choose what battery to get.

I don't often play my music when the car is off...and if i do i don't pump the system. I don't believe I will be competing with my sound system...its more for daily drive / cruisin.

funkdr
18-09-2006, 11:35 PM
..........I currently have a century battery...not sure about its exact specs...just that its yellow, lol. ............

Its a century 300cca (cold cranking amps) I know ur car ahaha.

vividjazz
19-09-2006, 10:53 AM
Century 300cca vs Optima 650cca. Just one of the things your paying for with an Optima. Service life of the battery is another. If something lasts 4 times as long but costs 3 times as much then its cheaper in the long run. Like buying a laser printer instead of an inkjet (free printer with every set of cartridges).

If your running a multi amp system stock and cheap batteries don't cut it.

grumpy rooster
19-09-2006, 01:25 PM
You can get maintenance free batteries that aren't Optima's or Odyssey's. There are other alternatives.

aaronng
19-09-2006, 02:08 PM
You can get maintenance free batteries that aren't Optima's or Odyssey's. There are other alternatives.
The only deep discharge models are the Optima and Odyssey. Plus they are gel acid and are therefore leakproof. That's why both of these brands cost 3 times that of normal sealed batteries.

grumpy rooster
19-09-2006, 02:45 PM
There are other "leakproof" batteries. For instance a standard MX5 battery is a sealed unit with vents. They do not leak. A mate has used one in his Lancer race car with normal vacuum hose venting it to outside the car because it is in a battery box in the cabin.

Yes, Optima and Odyssey's are the choice if looking for a battery that needs to be cycled. Other batteries can be used but will not last as long.

An Optima will withstand being discharged more than an Odyssey.

aaronng
19-09-2006, 02:55 PM
There are other "leakproof" batteries. For instance a standard MX5 battery is a sealed unit with vents. They do not leak. A mate has used one in his Lancer race car with normal vacuum hose venting it to outside the car because it is in a battery box in the cabin.

Yes, Optima and Odyssey's are the choice if looking for a battery that needs to be cycled. Other batteries can be used but will not last as long.

An Optima will withstand being discharged more than an Odyssey.
Those are sealed maintenance-free batteries. By leakproof, I mean that the Odyssey (and maybe the optima too) can be used mounted on its side or upside down.

grumpy rooster
19-09-2006, 02:58 PM
You are correct. I'm not rying to be difficult. Just making people aware that there are differences and alternatives depending on the application. :)

funkdr
27-10-2006, 12:25 AM
These are late but i have my earthing kit and yellow top now.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/hobsonmc/New%20Folder/DSC00338r.JPG
http://members.optusnet.com.au/hobsonmc/New%20Folder/DSC00347r.JPG

Thanks agai nto the FHRX boys for their top notch work.