PDA

View Full Version : Expert assistance required

iceman_vti
18-09-2006, 03:11 PM
K here's my situation.

ATM I drive a 97 EK1 Vti... 2.5" catback, Pod.. thats it lol.

I want to absolutely guts the hell out of it. i mean torque and power that makes jaws drop. Where do i start, what do i do, what parts do i need.. lol. I didnt search, because i can't really pinpoint what i need, and "NA Powerplant" didnt really come up..

Thanks Guyz

Hully

destrukshn
18-09-2006, 03:18 PM
drop in a k series motor. that should put a smile on your face everyday.
that or a b series + boost.

or sell it and buy a nissan.
lol.

iceman_vti
18-09-2006, 04:18 PM
drop in a k series motor. that should put a smile on your face everyday.
that or a b series + boost.

or sell it and buy a nissan.
lol.

lol i work for Nissan :p the only good thing they got goin at the mo is the Maxima..

but nah i dont want boost.. i want vteccing goodness :p... if i can get the right boost set up for the right amount, i'll go that way, but either way i'll have to do the internals, so why not stick it out and tune the hell out of her and make it a NA beast then tutututu it

destrukshn
18-09-2006, 04:19 PM
k series swap my friend.
you won't be dissapointed.
lol.

sivic
18-09-2006, 09:06 PM
if you want torque from that your current engine you'll have to turbo it. by building NA your torque is always going to be limited by displacement.
as said, if you want NA and torque go a K series. K24 if you want bucketloads. they produce exceptional torque even for a 2.4l. i believe hondatech in melb were having pretty good success in developing bolt on parts for them

ACTI0NMAN-1
18-09-2006, 09:10 PM
i suggest talking to those members from toda.

Paul1985
18-09-2006, 09:15 PM
K24 for sure.. Fully built.

To suceed you need MONEY, and lots of it... along with time and dedication :)

bennjamin
18-09-2006, 09:43 PM
First , question to yourself how much you love your car. And then , how much your partner loves it too ( if u have a gf/bf etc). Then , look at your availible funds....it should determine :)

IMO , eithe enjoy your car as it is with abit of noise and cheap fuel economy and reliability , or sell it and get a faster stock car like a EK4 or DC2R etc.

aaronng
18-09-2006, 09:52 PM
if you want torque from that your current engine you'll have to turbo it. by building NA your torque is always going to be limited by displacement.
as said, if you want NA and torque go a K series. K24 if you want bucketloads. they produce exceptional torque even for a 2.4l. i believe hondatech in melb were having pretty good success in developing bolt on parts for them
Trust me, you don't want a stock k24a3 in it. You get torque at 4500rpm, and then you hit vtec at 6000rpm. You notice that the car has less pull than when at 4500rpm and all of a sudden, it's already 7300rpm and time to shift. Go k20a2.

Paul1985
18-09-2006, 10:12 PM
First , question to yourself how much you love your car. And then , how much your partner loves it too ( if u have a gf/bf etc). Then , look at your availible funds....it should determine :)

IMO , eithe enjoy your car as it is with abit of noise and cheap fuel economy and reliability , or sell it and get a faster stock car like a EK4 or DC2R etc.
Too right Ben,
Only you yourself can decide what you want out of your car. It is upto you to decide what you want and how much you are willing to spend on it. The best way to go is to research and know exactly what you want.. Pinpoint your goals.

Also, to build a car to the extremeties your asking, it will not be a reliable street-car (if you go all out this is)..

For performance like this, you have to lose a fair amount of economy and engine life!

dsp26
19-09-2006, 09:03 AM

sooo f*cking gold hahahahaha

iceman_vti
19-09-2006, 09:41 AM
yeah, i was thinking k or h series swap, but there's a lot of $$$.. hmmm... in the mean time, what could i do to strengthen my internals while building power?

string
19-09-2006, 03:12 PM
If you can't search here, or honda-tech.com by yourself, you aren't ready. Simple as that.

You havn't given us any goals of the car, so we can't even give you a place to look.

aaronng
19-09-2006, 03:18 PM
yeah, i was thinking k or h series swap, but there's a lot of $$$.. hmmm... in the mean time, what could i do to strengthen my internals while building power?
Search is your friend.

Paul1985
19-09-2006, 04:19 PM
If you wanna go with a h/k series swap, then your best bet would be to not spend money on the D-series you currently have and save it towards the h/k..

That is unless you wanna go an all out D-series swap...
Thats always an option.

czy_sol87
19-09-2006, 06:26 PM

what ben says is exactly right
theres no point spending $5k+ on an engine conversion, when the rest of the car is not up to scratch ie ek4 comes with more features than the ek1, not just accessories, but also, like front strut bar and rear sway bars, different suspension, brakes etc
imo if u want something fast, start with something fast!

Paul1985
19-09-2006, 09:31 PM
what ben says is exactly right
theres no point spending $5k+ on an engine conversion, when the rest of the car is not up to scratch ie ek4 comes with more features than the ek1, not just accessories, but also, like front strut bar and rear sway bars, different suspension, brakes etc
imo if u want something fast, start with something fast!
Your on the right track, but its possible to fix up an EK1 to an even better brake/sussy and engine setup than an EK4, you could at least match the EK4 setup.

IMO its a given that you should update your suspension, chassis and brakes when going for huge performance upgrades.

There's noway that the stock EK1 brakes could pull you up on an all-out engine build!! And whats the use of building it so powerful if it cant handle?

With my car ive gotten my sussy and brakes finished (or close to) before touching the engine.

Spec_R
19-09-2006, 10:13 PM
lol i work for Nissan :p the only good thing they got goin at the mo is the Maxima..

but nah i dont want boost.. i want vteccing goodness :p... if i can get the right boost set up for the right amount, i'll go that way, but either way i'll have to do the internals, so why not stick it out and tune the hell out of her and make it a NA beast then tutututu it

dude if you work at nissan u should know that nissan RB engine was one of the world best known performance engine especially RB26dett on GTR capable of producing 500hp+ without internal mod.
if ya say the only good thing nissan got is maxima you are wrong better do researh. first GTR came in australia 1990 to 1991 dominated the GT racing(kill the v8 holden) later they came out with rule to restrict the GTR to less boost but guess what its still dominated then they wanted the GTR out of the game. That how it got its name "Godzilla"

aaronng
19-09-2006, 10:19 PM
dude if you work at nissan u should know that nissan RB engine was one of the world best known performance engine especially RB26dett on GTR capable of producing 500hp+ without internal mod.
if ya say the only good thing nissan got is maxima you are wrong better do researh. first GTR came in australia 1990 to 1991 dominated the GT racing(kill the v8 holden) later they came out with rule to restrict the GTR to less boost but guess what its still dominated then they wanted the GTR out of the game. That how it got its name "Godzilla"
RB26DETT and even SR20DET do not meet current emission levels around the world and hence are not used anymore in new cars.

Paul1985
19-09-2006, 10:26 PM
Also, you need to decide whether you wanna go FI or NA as you would internally set them up different with different CR's etc.. I wouldn't build an NA engine and then turbo it. I personally would decide from the start.. It's either a FI build or an NA build..

Spec_R
19-09-2006, 10:31 PM
RB26DETT and even SR20DET do not meet current emission levels around the world and hence are not used anymore in new cars.
but thats not to said is crap?
you think about when the first gtr came out 1989 it was way ahead of its time. is control with the correct catyalic converter compliance with australian standards otherwise it australia wont have it in.
performance engine release more emission than NA

Spec_R
19-09-2006, 10:40 PM
K here's my situation.

ATM I drive a 97 EK1 Vti... 2.5" catback, Pod.. thats it lol.

I want to absolutely guts the hell out of it. i mean torque and power that makes jaws drop. Where do i start, what do i do, what parts do i need.. lol. I didnt search, because i can't really pinpoint what i need, and "NA Powerplant" didnt really come up..

Thanks Guyz

Hully

Im still new to honda but what i have gather after reading countless thread here is a K engine is it cost ya around 20k to conver including fitting and accessories require(correct me if im wrong)
what i think best you should do is, since you have a vti (i think is a vtec engine??correct me if im wrong) well instead of a conversion invest in a turbo setup and rebuild, you be happier with the power gain than the K block

Zdster
19-09-2006, 11:20 PM
I am going to close this thread until you have done some more searching. As others have said, firstly decide on what you want from your car and then look at the best way to get there.

Once you have done some searching PM me and I will reopen the thread for you to ask more questions.

aaronng
19-09-2006, 11:21 PM
but thats not to said is crap?
you think about when the first gtr came out 1989 it was way ahead of its time. is control with the correct catyalic converter compliance with australian standards otherwise it australia wont have it in.
performance engine release more emission than NA
I didn't say they were crap. Inceman_vti said that the only good thing nissan has going at the mo is the Maxima.

And at the present time, the RB26DETT and SR20DET do not meet current emission levels. That's why they have the VQ series now. It's not ebout RB and SR not meeting Australian emission levels. They don't even meet Japan's emission levels for 2005.