PDA

View Full Version : New "VAREX" Exforce Exhaust??? Help!

Mikeyas
19-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has some information on a new XFORCE exhasut called the varex, aprently has remote controled baffle to reduce noise output on compand. I had a friend tell me about it form the latest autosalon magazine.

Cant find anything via google and xforce website is hopeless.....

Also called XFORCE, some girl couldnt really direct me to any web page. Said look at xforce web page, i said i had then she said try xforcevarex.com...

Obviously didnt know what she was on about, but siad it should be available in 2 weeks?

Anyone got any information about this? Links etc? XFORCE traderS???

destrukshn
19-09-2006, 02:55 PM
sounds good.
lol.
just playing the waiting game now.

panda[cRx]
19-09-2006, 05:21 PM
try asking trav (egsi)

he deals xforce so should have an idea

yourfather
22-09-2006, 01:15 AM
yeah what panda said about the trader.

the varex does have moveable baffles. you can do it with a remote control unit from within the car. so, you can have a semi-quiet fart cannon, or something that gives you a headache (remember that drive panda ;). uhm, look, if you're really after an exhaust and stuff, I guess cannons are cool and stuff, I have one, but, if you're after quiet, you're better off going for a more street style muffler. I mean, if you want a cannon, you get a cannon, for the noise, thats about it. You WILL get hassled by the police for having one, regardless of whether it has a variable baffle. I think that is most important is that you figure out whether or not you really want something that will not ensure that you will be defect free or epa free.

Plus, I do not think that it would make the sound quiet enough to be of real benefit. Even when my VTi-R had its stock exhaust, it was very close to the legal EPA limit.

Mikeyas
22-09-2006, 11:31 AM
I have been giving details from people who have used similar systems can get to stock and lower levels of sound production. Due to amoutn of back pressure you can create with such an internal butterfly valve baffle.

Reason behind the idea is to enjoy the benefits of a modified exhausts without the downfalls. i.e. droning, CONSTANT loud noise e.g. driving around at night just not wanting noise.... or post hangover... etc Or to not attract attention from the police.

I have my reasons for such a device, and replies to suit the original question would be cool :) instead of trying to shoot the idea down with the if you wnat it quiet but a quiet system.. Considered all the ideas and this looks like it might be an idea. ok with you?

and police hassling? From my experience it doesnt have to do with style of exhaust, just the output. You have a stock looking exhaust with lots of noise and they will come hassle you. Might be different over in Melbourne.

Cant you see this is potnetially a great idea for tuners, How many times have you seen the question. I want a better exhuast for increased power/flow without the noise.? Due to the fact people do like performance gains but sometimes do not like the resultant noise production invloved.

This is one of the few products around that looks to be a very itneresting and useful addition to the aftermarket scene.

Limbo
22-09-2006, 02:11 PM
IN syd they hassel you if its not a pea-shooter stock one.

Even seen people with tips get in trouble - the cops are a real pain over here

Mikeyas
22-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Yeah i havent had any trouble with my teg or previosu 2 civics. Mostly get you for over sized rims, being too loud, stupid behaviour. I actually havent heard them ever make a fuss over the look of an exhaust.

yourfather
22-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Reason behind the idea is to enjoy the benefits of a modified exhausts without the downfalls. i.e. droning, CONSTANT loud noise e.g. driving around at night just not wanting noise.... or post hangover... etc Or to not attract attention from the police.

Cant you see this is potnetially a great idea for tuners, How many times have you seen the question. I want a better exhuast for increased power/flow without the noise.? Due to the fact people do like performance gains but sometimes do not like the resultant noise production invloved.

There is no way, that you can minimize the noise to a lower than stock level just by baffling a muffler. You would create more back pressure than a stock exhaust system, and therefore: you'd have lower performance.

The only way to increase performance, is by reducing restriction. If you reduce restriction, you increase volume.

Mikeyas
23-09-2006, 05:35 PM
Ok back on topic: I have pmed traders, with no response as yet, so in the mean time, has anyone got any extra information regarding the varex?

Zdster Edit: Off topic

strafe
23-09-2006, 08:24 PM
The new fast 4's magazine has a pic of it. From what i can tell, there is a throttle flap inside the muffler. When it is open, the muffler acts like a straight through item, when closed, it causes a restriction in the muffler, reducing noise output.

This is not a new concept, has been done by drag racers and street rodders for years (but generally they use a Y pipe, with a cable setup to run either through the exhaust or bypass the exhaust altogether).

Some vehicle manufacturers such as Chevrolet use mufflers such as those used in the xforce system to meet new stringent emmissions laws.

Mikeyas
23-09-2006, 09:14 PM
Yeh, found the autoslaon add for it and has a diagram to the function:

The unit sends exhuast gases straight through in open mode but when closed loops and squeezes the exhaust gases through 2 other pathways instead, hence increasing backpressure and reducing noise.

Yeh alot of car manufacturers are doing this now, audi, VW, aston martin all use a rev operated flap to allow better flow. Most designed to engage just after their relevant countries standard rpm to noise limit is reached :P Hence sticking a sports exhaust on from the factory but passing noise requirements etc which require a certain db up to a certain rpm !!

panda[cRx]
24-09-2006, 01:55 PM
apexi has a similar zorst, u may find more info on that

yourfather
24-09-2006, 05:48 PM
zdster, I disagree with you censoring my posts. pm sent.

Mikeyas
25-09-2006, 11:15 AM
I dont, they were not required and off topic.

Information thread, not opinion thread.

JasonGilholme
25-09-2006, 11:28 AM
You may want to look at the design of the buddy Club Spec 4 exhaust.

It flows the same as the spec 3 but the design of the rear muff is different. When there is a low amount of exhaust flow it naturally channels the gass through the outer walls of the muffler and then out the back. however in a high flow situation, full throttle, high rpm, vtec etc the gas has enough momentum to continue straight out the back of the muffler without going into the outer walls.

You may want to go to their site to read up on it cause i'm not the best at explaining stuff.

The catback system should be very light too. The spec 3 is one of the lightest cat backs there are on the market so i'd expect similiar from the spec 4.

:thumbsup:

Mikeyas
25-09-2006, 02:52 PM
thanks for that jason. That may be an option to try on my next car but at the present i have quiet the home job setup on the Gsi at the moment and looking for only end of exhuast or device to implement to use the most out of my current setup. Also i expect the buddyclub system to be on the pricey end ;) Fujitsubo has a very similar setup to the XFORCE system i am looking at, but pricewise, not feasible.

Also as part of my deleted posts, i have found an article about the system in a magazine and will try scan it in to share as soon as possible.

JasonGilholme
25-09-2006, 03:03 PM
RRp for the buddyclub cat back is about 950 ish, give or take a bit.

Some of the traders on here may be able to hook you up if you wanna go down that path.

Goodluck mate :thumbsup:

GARF
25-09-2006, 06:30 PM
Here is the famous AD, sorry about size, i made it big so you can read the details.
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/923/varex3sw0.jpg

Its a genius idea tho, I was interested and sent an enquiry. here is the reply:

Thank you for your enquiry.
The dimension of the VAREX muffler is
Inlet: 3" (2.5" available next month)
Tip Outlet:4.5"
Barrel Size: 7"
Barrel Length:14"
Tip Length:5"
RRP is $499.00 (including the muffler and the remote control kits)
I believe that it should fit you car. (DA9 1990 integra LS)

Best regards,
Joe Feng
Sales Manager

XFORCE
Tel: +61 2 9723 1586
Fax: +61 2 9723 1587
www.xforce.com.au

I may have to invest, I like the whole cannon look and sound and performance, but just when ya travelling on the highway to sydney or where ever its good to know you can press a button for a more quite ride, then press it again and you can have the noise and the performance back and take on the Holden that just few pass.....lol....

dsp26
25-09-2006, 07:42 PM
i just realised how funny this would be if i got pulled over by a cop for excessive noise pollution and its quite hahaha.

but yeah thanks for the official ad... i never for a second believed this till i saw that. looks like a "twin-loop" design based on the flow diagram

Mikeyas
26-09-2006, 11:26 AM
Yeah thats the add, thanks alot for that. Yes in theory proves to be a great idea, and would be classic with cops. Also spin a few ppl out while driving, to go form silent to loud and back again.

phuong
19-10-2006, 09:43 PM
Hey guys i have just bought one and its being installed tomoro. Ill tell you how it goes..

lilwilliam
19-10-2006, 10:09 PM
^ interested in the results :thumbsup: keep us updated.

GARF
23-10-2006, 09:57 PM
yeah me too, as i might invest in one myself, keep us updated with pics and the description of the sound quality inside and outside. One reason i would invest in one is so that went i hit the highway i can push a button and no more drony in cabin sound, or at least quiten it.

dsp26
23-10-2006, 10:51 PM
Hey guys i have just bought one and its being installed tomoro. Ill tell you how it goes..

can you make a sound recording of open/mid/closed or even going from closed to open?

phuong
01-11-2006, 02:54 AM
hey peoples...well so far it aint going good, it aint even installed yet!!!! i some how got a dud motor so the flap aint working, took a week for them to send another motor, so now i wait till monday till its being installed. But yes i will make these recordings when ever it gets installed...

phuong
07-11-2006, 02:53 AM
Well, fully open gives a nice not too loud, loud enough sound... Closed, i was quite surprise it was almost near stock, but with a bit of roar in the high rev ends. However i was and still am disappointed with the quality. However the muffler is constructed nice and clean but what lets it down is the motor. The motor on my varex had to be replaced since it was loose and wasnt making contact with the gears that turn the flap. The motor was replaced and did seem to work second round. But after a couple of hours driving, the flap didnt respond sometimes. Im guessing there is a bit of resistance or rust building near the flap joints. Ill try and put some lub tomoro and see if it help smooths thing out. Generally the motor is just weak and the whole design seems to be loose. Power wise, being a non turbo, i felt that i lost a bit of low end power, but makes up for it in the high end. This is the case of fully opened, when the flap is closed, a bit more low end power is lost. The muffler is generally design for a turbo car afterall. Therefore i suggest install only if you have a turbo car. But if u have na, it aint too bad in power loss and sounds still good. So if you do buy one, id make sure and check that the motor is not lose and works properly. Ill prob post up audio clips soon for yous to hear....