PDA

View Full Version : Three problems!!

civic-dream
19-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Hi guys,

I have three problems with my EK VTi-R 96'

1. The car overheats at idle although i've had the thermostat replaced, radiator flushed and fan fixed, it seems to be losing coolant as the months go by..

2. While the car is overheating i found the needle to jump if i turn on the headlights/power windows/turn signals... what does this mean?

3. There seems to be oil or wetness around where the exhaust manifold meets the engine block, and around underneath the dizzy area...

also..could i have a stuffed head gasket??

any help??

destrukshn
19-09-2006, 08:55 PM
head gasket?
that would be my guess, does your car seem sluggish?

ekhybrid
have u lost any power wen its not overheated?

zco
under the dizzy, would be where the radiator hose meest the engine. remove the hose there, and check for splits in the hose. if there is, replace if a big split. if its a small split, then get your pliers out and cut off the end. and re attach,

i have no idea about hte others.,

destrukshn
19-09-2006, 08:57 PM
have you checked your water pump?

problem 3, could be your dizzy leaking oil from the seal.

ekhybrid
19-09-2006, 08:57 PM
head gasket?

:thumbsup:

civic-dream
19-09-2006, 08:59 PM
head gasket?

Well i have another problem with my car.. the malfunction light comes on after the engine's heated up... up until that happen's my car feels fine... when the malfunction light comes on it feels sluggish.. but i think that's from a faulty dizzy that's been put in recently..

destrukshn
19-09-2006, 09:02 PM
do a ecu test.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8218

follow those instructions.
and then see what you come up with.

aaronng
19-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Check for coolant leaks first.

destrukshn
19-09-2006, 09:09 PM
also a way to check coolant leaks is start squeezing the hoses, see if anything come out from em.
feel for soft spots on the hoses, if you do feel it, change it, chances are that it's starting to leak just a little, and it will go very soon.

marte
19-09-2006, 09:10 PM
for problem one do a search. theres a number of reasons.

Hows your overflow bottle? any holes etc.

Check your radiator hoses(i dont think these would be your problem unless you were filling in water every few days),

did you get a compression test on your radiator?

lol it could even be your radiator cap if you've replaced it etc.

bennjamin
19-09-2006, 09:14 PM
if a hose is leaking under pressure , there will likely be white "overspray" in teh engine bay from dried coolant. It looks like white water spray.

fatboyz39
19-09-2006, 09:24 PM
a leak down test, this will determine whether you have a head gasket problem

Paul1985
19-09-2006, 09:43 PM
could be a headgasket or an electrolysis problem at worst!
Definately do a leak test. Have you checked around all the hoses and checked for obvious leaks??

You should check that there isnt a large amount of current earthing out via your cooling system due to bad earthing somewhere (usually headlights). When this happens it causes corrosion, often in the engine block. I seen an extreme case where the corrosion had eaten through the cylinder wall (this was severe and on an old car though)... Definately worth getting checked at the same time as a leak test.

It sounds like a headgasket to me. Have you noticed water coming out of the exhaust pipe at all?? (after starting up in the morning as thats just condensation).

civic-dream
20-09-2006, 11:29 AM
How much am i expecting to pay for a leak down test?

also... anyone know of a good/reliable auto electrician in parramatta to strathfield area?

civic-dream
20-09-2006, 11:34 AM
It sounds like a headgasket to me. Have you noticed water coming out of the exhaust pipe at all?? (after starting up in the morning as thats just condensation).

No i'm pretty sure there's no water coming out... coz i haven't noticed any puddles under my exhaust when i check after parking...

i do seem to get white smoke coming out sumtimes when i rev the car tho?

how can i check if its not just an oil leak from the dizzy or whether its leaking from the headgasket?

it doesn't seem to be leaking from anywhere besides the near the exhaust manifold and under the dizzy area