PDA

View Full Version : '01 GLi Performance Upgrade

Discatelli
20-09-2006, 05:55 PM
Hi guys,

I'm a complete noob when it comes to car mod's, but I am interested in trying to squeeze a further 20-30kW's out of my 2001 Civic GLi. (1.7ltr SOHC)

I've been searching for a manufacturer of extractors to suit this model but so far have turned up nothing.

Has anyone on this forum successfully attempted such a feat, and if so where is the best place to start?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

aaronng
20-09-2006, 05:56 PM
You won't get 20-30kW out of the d17. Maybe 10-15kW with bolt ons (I/H/E and piggyback)

Discatelli
20-09-2006, 05:59 PM
What do you mean 'bolt-ons'?

Q_ball
20-09-2006, 06:01 PM
Bolt ons is whats inside the brackets (I/H/E, piggyback)
Intake, headers and exhaust - piggyback = ecu

Afaik, theres not much after market support for this model civic so u'll be strugglin to find parts readily available, and the parts u do find may be quite expensive!

Discatelli
20-09-2006, 06:03 PM
Is that because it's just a slightly newer model, or are there other factors at play?

Q_ball
20-09-2006, 06:07 PM
Nah, the cars 6 yrs old, so theres been plenty of time for manufacturers to come up with something.
Problem is, the 01 civic jst wasnt as popular as the EK range, hence aftermarket support for it isnt as big.

Discatelli
20-09-2006, 06:10 PM
So do I have any options if I want to improve the GLi's performance? Would it be a case of having to import extractors, etc. from Japan if I wanted to make any significant improvements?

Discatelli
20-09-2006, 06:17 PM
Does anyone know of a manufacturer of intake, headers, and exhausts to suit an '01 GLi?

aaronng
20-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Does anyone know of a manufacturer of intake, headers, and exhausts to suit an '01 GLi?
Not sure which manufacturer made parts for your model, but you can ask around for parts for the D17Z1 engine. Throughout my reading of various forums, I don't think I've come across parts for it. Your chassis code is ES1, so that might help in your search too.

Discatelli
20-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Thanks mate. Much appreciated.

krogoth
20-09-2006, 08:48 PM
seriously mate....

i have a d17, dont bother looking for after market parts

there is very little and its expensive most mods dont do much anyway

i DOUGHT you will find aftermarket extractors for a d17.....

u can find a generic CAI that will bolt on/replace ur existing intake system

as for exhaust.......u can always get some generic sports muff bolt on

but for everything else....there arent any after market highflow cats or piping for an ES1

a mate of mine got one custom made for $800, thats a custom cat, custom piping, custom rear muffler

dont bother man, the ES1 is a fun car, not overly fast, but enuf grunt if its a manual.....save ur money for something better.....

i have an 05 civic ES, and i used to think of modding it like u.....but i got over that stage due to the diffuculty of finding parts and the possibly tiny performance increases yool get

panda[cRx]
20-09-2006, 09:21 PM
Nah, the cars 6 yrs old, so theres been plenty of time for manufacturers to come up with something.
Problem is, the 01 civic jst wasnt as popular as the EK range, hence aftermarket support for it isnt as big.

it wasnt as big as there wasnt even a vti-r or si with the sedans or hatches.
there isn't much NA support but i have seen turbo kits suitable for these models if you want to go that far :thumbsup:

civicCXI
21-09-2006, 01:13 PM
D series is not a performance engine, so it would be really hard to get 10kW more just using boltons. So yeh, like panda said, go turbo.....will increase power by upto 70%.

krogoth
22-09-2006, 12:12 AM
^big call

some turbos will increase 70%, but theyll cost a SHITLOAD to buy and a SHITLOAD to install

and to get that much power increase, youll need to run a prety hefty turbo, more boost = less reliability = more problems = dead car

seriously, done bother trying to improve the car engine wise, coz its not gona get much better, realistically...

if u want a turbo, u can get an old sylvia with an sr20det in it, yood be surprised how fast they are, and they illegal for p-platers, and u can find a good example with wat it costs for you to get a properly installed good quality and well tuned turbo kit for your d17

muhhan
25-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Discatelli, if you're looking for extractors and exhaust then approach a specialty exhaust shop, as others have suggested, and it may be possible to get them to custom fabricate something especially for you. Of course it will cost a bit, but any decent exhaust system is going to cost a bit. It all depends how serious you are about modifying your car, because at the end of the day a car is just metal so really anything is possible.

People will always be telling you not to bother and to get another car and sell your car, but sometimes it's not about owning the fastest car or doing what's most economical. Sometimes its about really 'owning' the car and by owning I don't mean holding the greenslip, I mean you thought about all the mods, have done the research, maybe even bolted some on yourself or even designed something and fabricated it yourself! That's what it's about to me anyway.

In the end though the final decision is up to you. Just think things through and make sure you're going to be happy with whatever decision you end up making.