PDA

View Full Version : Headache with Auto transmission

redwing
22-09-2006, 11:12 PM
Hi All, I wonder anyone out there have come across this problem. 98 Integra GSI, the auto transmission plays up only when the engine is COLD and only in 3rd to 4th gear when the rev is between 3000 and 4000. What It does is as I drive along and while the car is accelerating nicely from 1st to 2nd and 3rd, while in 3rd the rev is sitting at round about 3000 and slowly claiming suddenly the rev would jump to around 4000 or so depend on how hard I depress the pedal ( This is like as if you was driving a manual and while you got you foot on the accelerator the car is in gear you step on the clutch pedal ) then it would return to it normal rev, while all this happen within second the car's momentum is smooth. After 10 to 15 minutes of driving it's gone. I have been quoted rebuilt of transmission for around $2000, I didn't buy that because I think it's only a minor clitch in a sensor of something, the car has only done 140000km. I have plush the transmission oil with Honda transmission oil hoping that may help but the problem is still there.
I don't mind pay to get the problem fix, but my hesitation is that I pay and pick up the car only to find out the next morning when I drive to work that the problem is still exist and going back to take the matter up with the mechanic is " NO FUN " as I know they will start giving "BULL ****" My other option is to take it to Honda dealer and explain EXACTLY what the problem is and leave the car for them for a couple day so they can give me a quote on problem. I NEED help and ADVICE.
THANK YOU ALLL.

tRipitaka
22-09-2006, 11:15 PM
spark plugs/leads ?

redwing
22-09-2006, 11:22 PM
That all been look at service has been done. It's killing me coz it only does it when its cold. If I drive it to a mechanic he thinks I am over the top, I can't leave the car as I really need it for work.

EuroDude
22-09-2006, 11:51 PM
Could be a problem with the torque converter maybe?

140,000km though... maybe its time for a general rebuild anyway.

ECU-MAN
23-09-2006, 11:17 PM
could be a problem with your 3rd gear clutch pack, the piston could be binding when cold and not engaging properly.

its an internal fault in the tranny and needs to be diagnosed with the proper test equipment.

destrukshn
23-09-2006, 11:20 PM
what about the solenoids?
couldn't that be causing the problem?

ECU-MAN
23-09-2006, 11:24 PM
it would happen in other gears if it was the solenoids

only two solenoids are used for 4 gears
could also be valve body's

destrukshn
23-09-2006, 11:26 PM
it would happen in other gears if it was the solenoids

only two solenoids are used for 4 gears
could also be valve body's
dirty?

btw, do you give your car a hard time?
eg. neutral bashing? shifting "gears"?
lol

ECU-MAN
23-09-2006, 11:37 PM
dirty?

worn, scored,

destrukshn
23-09-2006, 11:40 PM
worn, scored,
caused by?
lack of maintenance?

if maintanied and well looked after, it should last alot more than 140k kms, correct?
i've seen honda go up to 300,00kms, same transmission, just with regular servicing and treating it well.

ECU-MAN
24-09-2006, 12:01 AM
its real hard to say with out knowing the history of the car

commonly due to

abuse, towing excessivly, lack of maintanance

but things simply crap them selfs

Honda AT are quite reliable, but not the strongest

redwing
27-09-2006, 07:55 PM
Thank you all for your in put, I have found a way of not getting that problem now. I drive on D3 until the car warm up properly then I put it into D4. That seem to be ok like that and my niece is happy doing that, well at least the slip is not there when she jumps into her car every morning. I agreed with ECU-man the problem is most likely to be internal. Although the annoying problem is still there so I am still open for more technical advice from anyone so I can tackle the problem for her in the near future.