PDA

View Full Version : Need some suggestions

Research
24-09-2006, 03:03 PM
Hi people... :)
I'm new to tis forum as well as the automotive world.
I own a 92 :honda: Civic Si sedan n i would like to get some improvements on the power, not top of the range upgrade is required tho... only some small parts, such as air filters, cold air intake and full xhaust system??

i've heard tat civic is a "screamer", so is there any particular xhaust system brand tat i can use to get a low, deep sound n not loud, without using a silencer?? or should i put a custom??
n does changing my air filter can actually improve my performance?? if yes, which air filter is good to replace the stock??
n also which brand of cold air intake tat is good??

sry for putting in many questions... im still learnin bout all tis stuffs :)

Thank you for your suggestions

civicCXI
24-09-2006, 03:25 PM
check that out
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50075&highlight=fujitsubo
and
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3614&highlight=fujitsubo

atm i really like fujitsubo fgk-rm01, one of the trade, edw-R (maxhondapower) is selling it.

Tanabe medallion concept G also sounds deep and not loud (under 93 dB)

kj887
26-09-2006, 09:45 PM
depends what, where would u like to achieve........

i prefer low fuel consumption + low-mid rev power + quick response
- k&n panel air filter
- any air intake but remain the OEM air box
- port and clean ur stock throttle body
- NGK spark plugs
- volt stabliser + earth wire
- any performance spark cable
- any twin loop muffler

those are not too expensive to get. wish they can help. good luck

ScottyBoy
26-09-2006, 09:54 PM
When i got my SI

It had CAI and pod

ive added new leads
cleaned throttle body
headers
2 1/4 exhaust
new plugs
new oil filters

just pretty much gave it a freshen up, was a little more responsive in the acceleation

Research
27-09-2006, 03:12 PM
well i guess i do prefer low-mid rev power... coz i go around the city much, so i dun think high rev power is necessary :P and of course low fuel consumption... but if i change my full exhaust system, will it actually affect my fuel consumption, a lot??

wat does volt stabiliser + earth wire do?? sry i dun really understand

thank you for the current inputs...
hope to get more inputs on tis :)

aaronng
27-09-2006, 03:22 PM
If you haven't done so, change your fuel filter too. Big gains to be had if you are running on the original filter from 1992.

civicCXI
27-09-2006, 06:18 PM
well i guess i do prefer low-mid rev power... coz i go around the city much, so i dun think high rev power is necessary :P and of course low fuel consumption... but if i change my full exhaust system, will it actually affect my fuel consumption, a lot??

wat does volt stabiliser + earth wire do?? sry i dun really understand

thank you for the current inputs...
hope to get more inputs on tis :)

So basically, it stabilizes the voltage spikes + electrical noises so u'll get more efficient electrical system and thus engine operation. Most of good volt stabilizer systems (Apexi etc etc) adds up to 9 HP. It's also better than using the chassis as the ground. Depending on the state u r in, it might be illegal though.

aaronng
27-09-2006, 06:26 PM
So basically, it stabilizes the voltage spikes + electrical noises so u'll get more efficient electrical system and thus engine operation. Most of good volt stabilizer systems (Apexi etc etc) adds up to 9 HP. It's also better than using the chassis as the ground. Depending on the state u r in, it might be illegal though.
You don't get power from a voltage stabiliser and ground kit. And the chassis is is grounded by connecting it to the negative terminal as a floating ground. Also, it is legal.

civicCXI
27-09-2006, 06:53 PM
You don't get power from a voltage stabiliser and ground kit. And the chassis is is grounded by connecting it to the negative terminal as a floating ground. Also, it is legal.

Got gain according buddyclub......
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/13196

A friend of mine got defected for having that installed.

Research
29-09-2006, 09:50 PM
thx guyz for all the inputs
really appreciate it

i'll think again bout the voltage stabiliser n ground kit tho hehehe...
but thx for the info

aaronng
29-09-2006, 10:26 PM
Got gain according buddyclub......
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/13196

A friend of mine got defected for having that installed.
Companies can make claims for anything. You know like the fuel magnetiser rubbish?

I know someone who has the capacitor and ground kit. On modern cars, there is no difference.

As to being defected, I guess it's illegal in Perth. Many people have it here in Sydney.

EG5[KRT]
29-09-2006, 10:48 PM
id make sure your car is fully serviced first i.e all fluids changed, all new spark plugs, leads, fuel filter,coolant,timing belt,drive belts,injectors cleaned,

so basically running like brand new.. then u improve on that by getting new air filter.. exhaust etc etc..

egSi
30-09-2006, 12:38 AM
^^^ yeah what brian said. all the shit hot parts in the world wont do much if you car needs a service or if the timing is whack.

imo check more shit out and pick the best part for what your budget will allow. we all cant chuck some itbs on when looking for an intake upgrade.

imo go with the simple, proven stuff.

K&N panel filter, header, high flow cat, cat back and i higly suggest a tranny upgrade, ie: lighten flywheel and heavy duty clutch. Si's love lightened flywheels :thumbsup:

Research
30-09-2006, 01:27 PM
yea i alrdy got it fully serviced 2 months back, coz there were some major problems with it -.-"
i've changed all the fluids, fuel filter, coolant, but i dun think they changed the spark plugs, leads, timing belt, drive belts n the injectors >.<

Research
30-09-2006, 01:31 PM
^^^ yeah what brian said. all the shit hot parts in the world wont do much if you car needs a service or if the timing is whack.

imo check more shit out and pick the best part for what your budget will allow. we all cant chuck some itbs on when looking for an intake upgrade.

imo go with the simple, proven stuff.

K&N panel filter, header, high flow cat, cat back and i higly suggest a tranny upgrade, ie: lighten flywheel and heavy duty clutch. Si's love lightened flywheels :thumbsup:

yea i guess i have to check all the old parts n make sure everythin is good enuff to get upgrades :p

n another problem is the budget LOL... dun have too much of it... so i guess i'll juz work my way out slowly hehehe... thx for the inputs, i do want to get some tranny works :cool:

muhhan
30-09-2006, 01:59 PM
Yeah, that's the way Research, just go slow and tackle it bit by bit. You'll get there in the end. Also want to be looking at brake fluids and tranny fluids which, from the sounds of it you've got to already.

Also consider suspension upgrades after you've got that little extra power from the intake/exhaust mods, so that your car can handle just the way you want it to. :thumbsup:

Research
01-10-2006, 02:40 PM
Yeah, that's the way Research, just go slow and tackle it bit by bit. You'll get there in the end. Also want to be looking at brake fluids and tranny fluids which, from the sounds of it you've got to already.

Also consider suspension upgrades after you've got that little extra power from the intake/exhaust mods, so that your car can handle just the way you want it to. :thumbsup:

thx man... :) i alrdy changed the brake fluids, but i think i have to do so with the tranny fluids :p

about the suspension, im worried will it get "hard" when i lower my car with normal springs i.e. King Spring?? coz quite a lot of times my gal's cousins r comin along in the car, so i dun want to give em uncomfortable ride :D
any suggestions for suspension?? not too xpensive tho hehehe im low on budget ;)