PDA

View Full Version : most effective cooling system flush method.

Mr_will
25-09-2006, 12:21 AM
im currently replacing all my cooling system hoses before the weather gets warm, and i want to do a good job of flushing everything while the coolant is out.

have been suggested a few different methods:

1) boiling water
2) pressure hose

anyone have suggestions/experience?

my main concern is the heater core, with coolant sitting in there for long periods of time without moving id say theres a fair bit of crap in there

cheers

muhhan
25-09-2006, 03:20 PM
You've probably looked up the procedure in the service manual yeah? The heater setting inside the car needs to be all the way to the hot side. I used a radiator flush liquid called 'muckowt' by nulon, followed the instructions on the bottle and flushed it out several times with clean filtered water. Now I have leaking hoses so it must have removed some of the deposits that were keeping my hoses together :p

If you're after a really thorough flush then getting a specialty radiator shop to do a power flush will make things really clean. Kind of like an enima for the cooling system :D

SKREMN
25-09-2006, 07:58 PM
on the fornt of your block behind the exhaust there is a big bolt this drains out all the coolant from inside the block
if you want a good clean you may want to remove this to drain the totally

Mr_will
25-09-2006, 11:48 PM
i dont think i was specific enough in my first post..

i have completely drained all the coolant already, from the block, the radiator, and the heater core

i am interested in what people have done to get out the crap that accumulates in these parts, not how to drain the coolant

some of the products available suggest running the engine with the radiator drain plug open, and continuously pouring water through the system to flush it

dsp26
26-09-2006, 12:05 AM
^^ thats what i did to the mrs paseo... its almost ineffective though if you didn't put in anything in the first place to clean/scrub the gunk out.

theres dissolving abrasive cleaners that you can put in your system that scrubs your whole system while the water pump circulates it.. it eventually dissolves. you can buy these at any auto store, autobarn have a good one, "Bars Stop Leak" - Radiator Flush (bars... is the brand name). but this requires you run it in for about an hour before flushing... you guys won't believe how much gunk this got out of a radiator we almost sent out for a rebuild.....

for added future security you may wanna use this:
http://www.gccorp.com.au/automotive/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=78

"NEO Keep Cool goes into a system, softens the deposits and then breaks them down by the molecule -- as small as that -- and deforms their natural crystal shape so that they can not recombine and form solids, and holds them in a soft harmless suspension in the water. NEO Keep Cool has an initial cleaning action which is done slowly (90% in 10 days) and safely so as not to disturb the deposits in chunks which could block small passages."

"NEO Lubricants are recommended by The UK Minister of Motor Sport, Reynard Engineering Ltd, March Engineering, LOLA, Hewland Engineering, XTrac, Prodrive and many other motor sport engineering companies worldwide. Many major racing teams in F1, A1GP, CART, F3000, F3, World Sports Cars, NASCAR, Touring Cars, World Rally, GP Bikes NHRA down to 1/8 scale petrol engine models benefit from NEO products."

***EDIT***
oh yeah that chick in your avatar, what was her name and school she went to? shes hot... i remember the email of her photos that went around and got her expelled lol

hethro87
26-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Hey dsp26.

I think she went to Barker College in Sydney. I too got the emails.....she's pretty fine huh?

Hethro

Rasputin
26-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Francesca Willis, booyah.

Mr_will
26-09-2006, 11:48 PM
thats her, francesca willis. she was average :p

on a more related note, i picked up some stuff from my mechanic today. about 500mls worth, running it with just water for a week or so, will pick up all the shit. then drain it completely, and refill with coolant.

things should be all nice and buff now for summer, no overheating for me hopefully