PDA

View Full Version : Stiff bushes, better traction?

spetz
25-09-2006, 03:11 AM
Just wondering if all the front end bushes are changed to stiff ones like superpro, and control arm braces etc are put in, will this increase launch traction?

My car has sh!t traction... just can't get off the line!
3000rpm and it is just all wheelspin :(

zco
25-09-2006, 08:30 AM
adjust tyre pressure. or learn to launch differently.
adjust your suspension if you have any, get diff tyrse if needed, but you should be able to get off the line and run a good time, just practice.

what bushes are you talking about anyway ?

JasonGilholme
25-09-2006, 08:48 AM
You may need to ride the clutch and throttle to get a good launch.

Theres more to it then just dumping the clutch and planting your foot. lol

spetz
25-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Obviously I don't just dump the clutch
But realistically the car is too hard to get off the line

I am talking about all the bushes that link the control arms and stuff. The current ones are in extremely poor condition and wondering if once I upgrade them I will get better traction?

Tyres are at 40psi (I know this is pretty high for traction) and run 205/45/16 profile. Suspension is set to softest dampening all round.

I realise I can get better traction by adjusting these things but I have tried and the difference is not that great.

A friend got a gtech pro the other week, and I have been in his 06 STi during 2.2 second 60ft times and if this gtech is somewhat accurate, I can say from now that my car will probably do something stupid like a 3 second 60ft time :(

Sensei
26-09-2006, 06:26 PM
Good question, I would think dampening or spring rate would help with launch issues and changing bushes would just give better feedback and road feel. I'm not 100% sure on this.

On a side note: I'd like to know how much are you looking at ($$) for parts and labour if you change your bushes? would it also stop any squeaks & noises?

spetz
26-09-2006, 11:32 PM
I think realistically it'll probably add squeaks and noises?

I got quoted $980 to change just the bushes that are stuffed (gearbox oil went all over them)
$480 of it was parts the rest labour and wheel alignment

But when I do this, I will add the rest of the bushes just to change everything, and do everything myself. Shouldn't cost much more as there are only about 2-3 pairs of bushes that are expensive'ish and the rest are quite cheap. So I think for $600 I could get all bushes, and change them myself (take the suspension parts to shop to get them press out/in) and then $110 for a wheel alignment

destrukshn
27-09-2006, 06:35 PM
**** that's expensive for labour.
lol $500 for labour.
take out what you can, eg, lower control arms, engine mountse etc and bring it to a place, and they'll press it in for you, takes like 30 seconds to press out a bush then then porbably about 30 secs to press in a bush.
$110 for a wheel alignment? please tell me your not paying this.. thier normally around the $30 mark.

spetz
27-09-2006, 07:36 PM
labour is quite expensive but the suspension place already said once I bring all the suspension arms they will press the bushes in/out for free

And yes, I am paying $110 for wheel alignments.
I live in Canberra. The cheapest 4 wheel alignment is about $60 here, and the people doing it are retarded. The only place that I ever left happy with a wheel alignment is this place that charges $110 for it. They are also widely known and acknowledged to be the best suspension place in the immidiate canberra area

bigjo5
27-09-2006, 07:47 PM
**** that's expensive for labour.
lol $500 for labour.
take out what you can, eg, lower control arms, engine mountse etc and bring it to a place, and they'll press it in for you, takes like 30 seconds to press out a bush then then porbably about 30 secs to press in a bush.
$110 for a wheel alignment? please tell me your not paying this.. thier normally around the $30 mark.

its not easy changine these bushes, if u take off all the engine mounts on the engine whats the engine gonna hang on? lol..and wheel alignment doesnt cost $30 for front and back.. its like at least $40 +

Sensei
27-09-2006, 11:21 PM
Yeah, wheel alignment usually runs $60 for the front at most places.

spetz
27-09-2006, 11:48 PM
Not talking about engine mount bushes, just suspension bushes

And, if the engine mount bushes are change usually the engine is held either underneath by a type of jack or from the top there is a special took, it is like and engine crane but it sits just inside your fenders and holds the engine up

chee
28-09-2006, 02:24 AM
shit alignments cost $30, one of the best guys in perth costs about $150.

and bushes are an expensive procedure!

and aftermarket bushes (stiffer ones like the superpro and energy suspension bushes) will increase sound.

zco
28-09-2006, 10:39 AM
theres not one person tHat can get a decent60ft time on 30psi. dont expect to be getting a low 2.X 60ft if you're running that tyre pressure.

theres no reason why your car cant launch. if you put sussy softest at front. lower psi, and ride the clutch, then you can launch. just practice.

what car are you driving with what motor& tyres

destrukshn
28-09-2006, 10:39 AM
its not easy changine these bushes, if u take off all the engine mounts on the engine whats the engine gonna hang on? lol..and wheel alignment doesnt cost $30 for front and back.. its like at least $40 +
depends how many you take off at a time.
lol.

i get mine done for $30 front and back, bob jane does it for me.
i've never had a problem with the alignment.

RMN15N
28-09-2006, 03:40 PM
changing these bushes isnt cheap at all.. eg for 1 bush for the rear control arm brand new would be about 50 bux each! then theres the control arm 2nd oem one would be somewhat of 90 mark not including labour to install.

my guess for better traction is to lower ur tyre psi to about 30/32 psi 40 is just over doing it.
also try a different launch? ride it from 5000 rpm till it grips

might help

cheers

chee
28-09-2006, 04:42 PM
my left rear lca is perished, waiting to have it replaced with super pros. and its going to be quite exxy :)

spetz
28-09-2006, 06:29 PM
theres not one person tHat can get a decent60ft time on 30psi. dont expect to be getting a low 2.X 60ft if you're running that tyre pressure.

theres no reason why your car cant launch. if you put sussy softest at front. lower psi, and ride the clutch, then you can launch. just practice.

what car are you driving with what motor& tyres

The car just breaks traction too easy
It's a lancer coupe with a FTO MIVEC engine in it, and LSD from Version R FTO.
Tyres are S-02 Potenza 205/45/16
I am thinking that the sidewalls for these tyres is too stiff for good traction. They grip awesome around corners but traction is very not so good.
For the tyres to be visibly deflated, I need to drop them to about 15psi. Even at 20psi they look fully pumped. So then it is a good chance it is the tyres?

Also, I was thinking why should I put the front shocks to the softest? The way I see it, is if I put the front to the stiffest rebound level, it should help preventing the front end to lift? So full hard all round seems the logical choice to me? Fair enough over bumps it might skip/lose traction but for arguements sake the roads are perfect.

And I was thinking with harder bushes it would keep both camber and toe much closer to original specs. With power going through the front wheels I would expect with soft/warn bushes that they will start toeing in really bad?

Limbo
28-09-2006, 09:51 PM
your low profile are bad for launching. To get a better launch try a higher profile, lower profile stops tyre roll, but abit of tyre roll is good for launching.

Really depends on what you wanna do.

RMN15N
29-09-2006, 12:59 AM
claymore brother.. that is some good info.. reps to you mate..

spetz
29-09-2006, 01:48 AM
Thanks claymore, very informative ;)

BUT, my tyres dont leave marks!! ??

LEVIN GTV
29-09-2006, 02:20 AM
I put new shocks (KYB EXCEL G) , and bushes (CONTROL ARM, BUMP STOPS, SWAYBARS) in today. Alot better traction. More stable, seems to grip the road alot better.

I think they definately make a considerable effect. Bushes are one of those things that are underestimated when modifying your car. They are relatively cheap modification, but the labour is very time consuming!

Superpro/fulcrum, Nolathane are two good brands to go for. Visit their websites at www.superpro.com.au for an electronic catalouge!

Cheers and Good luck