PDA

View Full Version : Gear box change!!

Sexc86
25-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Hey guys

my 2nd gear box is almost on the way out, i have a 94 eg sedan d15b7 sohc non vtec. I have at in my garage a D16 box from a ek sedan 2000 d16y4 will i have any probs mechaincally or electrically changeing this over?

my car is turbo but not putting out crazy power, has around 110fwkw, 19inch wheels (roughly 25kgs each) and HD clutch. So this would be putting and bit more stress on the box as is (would it)

Currently the bearings all seem pretty loud when the clutch is out, either driving or idoling, but disappear when clutch is in.

Also what are some techniques that i should or shouldnt do to prolong the life of my box. My car is a weekend driver so i havnt clocked up too many k's but i just get the feeling that im doing something bad, or not right thats makeing them go.

eg (quick rev before down changing, useing gears with brakes to slow down, riding the clutch slightly when slowing down with gears and brakes)

Also as i understand it all Dseries boxs are similar but some haver different gear ratios, i currently have 2 dseries boxes here how do i tell which one would generally be in better condition and which one would give better performance (if any at all ) possibly by a product number given to differnt boxs that cam out on different series motors (vit, si, gli etc etc)

Thanks in advance

bennjamin
25-09-2006, 09:46 PM
all hydraulic D series boxes should be the same pattern to bolt to the engine ~ the difference is the driveshaft ends ( that go into the diff housing) are different number of splines / diameter...so measure up first to see if ur existing driveshafts will fit.

Sexc86
25-09-2006, 10:34 PM
does anyknow know if the d16y4 box will be a hasslefree swap for the b7?

bennjamin
26-09-2006, 03:09 PM
AFAIK it should fit nps.
Also , get rid of the 19's ~ they will snap driveshafts quicker than stock rims IMO ( IE the torque is abosorbed in either wheel spin , or due to larger rims/ inertia needed to spin them , the stress will transfer more to the cv joints / driveshafts)

aaronng
26-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Currently the bearings all seem pretty loud when the clutch is out, either driving or idoling, but disappear when clutch is in.

This sounds like the throwout bearing!

destrukshn
26-09-2006, 03:56 PM
that sound you hear, from my experience is the release bearing.

yes it should fit, as i'm using a d16y4 gearbox with my d15 shafts, the speed sensor you have have to swap around, i know i swapped my one around.

but everything should bolt up no problems.