PDA

View Full Version : EK Stock Clutch to Heavy Duty Clutch

TypeRice
26-09-2006, 05:53 PM
hi guys..

today i had a major service for my car...
changed the lube, spark plugs, oil and fuel filter...
...and wow after wards when i drove the car, changing gears is soo much smoother than usual.. and so is the steering wheel... is that normal>??

but n e wayz to da point .. after my service today.. the mechanic told me that my clutch has nearly worn off, (the previous owner changed the clutch only 1 year and a half ago !!!!!).... And i was told that bcoz of my clutch my car has no power... it starts off slow... and advised me to change my clutch... and also suggested that i get the heavy duty clutch and not the light stock one..

do you guys know the difference in the feel between the 2 clutches??

coz i kinda like the light clutch.. where i dont hafto use much force to press it down.. =))

which one do you guys prefer??

cheers ^^

zco
26-09-2006, 07:25 PM
pressing down on the clutch (heavy or light ) would be your pressure plate. you tend to get used to the heavier clutch's, but one too heavy will cause clutch-calf syndrome, where one of your calves are bigger than the other hahaha

i dont know if this is possible, but mayby you can run your stock pressure plate on a aftermarket clutch

Spunkymonkey
26-09-2006, 07:47 PM
I've got a HD clutch in my b16a gearbox in my teg....its light at first, but will get heavier as you wear it more...whereas stock doesnt get too heavy, it just starts losing bite as it wears lol

bigjo5
26-09-2006, 08:06 PM
i personally prefer a heavy dutie .. car grips much better and the price form a standard clutch to a heavy dutie isnt much mor prolly like another $80 more or so and much much difference. cause think about it ur payin like roughly $200 or maybe even more to get ur clutch installed so might aswell get heavy duty since it last longer then standard clutch.
john.

TypeRice
27-09-2006, 12:23 AM
how long does a clutch last do you guys know??

coz my car gota newly installed clutch just March 2005.. dat is like approx 1.5 years ago.. how could it be nearly worn out already??

DOHCTR Coopz!
27-09-2006, 12:43 AM
it would depend on ur driving style.. but 1.5yrs is jack all..?? my previous clutch lasted like 7yrs sumthing inc. the previous owner using its!!
the HD clutches arent even heavy! u get used to thems neway.. i personally like heavier clutches!

czy_sol87
27-09-2006, 06:15 PM
clutch life also depends how many noobs drive ur car, or if u learnt to to drive with it
generally noobs ride the clutch more than an experienced driver which in turn wears it out quicker
i've heard of ppl driving a car to about 200 000km with the stock clutch
go the heavier clutch u'll get used to it and wont even remember what ur old clutch use to feel like

SLOWEGG
27-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Do different clutch/flywheel effect the stiffness of it? My friend's HD clutch and flywheel feels ALOT softer then mine, almost the same as stock. Where as mine is pretty hard.

Zilli
29-09-2006, 09:47 AM
200 dollars to get ur clutch installed????

DomenEK
29-09-2006, 10:12 AM
I recently installed an HD clutch in my EK. I was surprised to find that the pressure needed to push the pedal down was a lot less than the stock one. Took me a while to get used to it.

The stock clutch lasted for about 180,000kms, and even then the only reason I replaced it was because the gearbox itslef carked it.

barefootbonzai
29-09-2006, 10:54 AM
they type of clutch has nothing to do with how hard to need to step on the clutch. as many of said, it's the pressure plate.

I've tried a few of the excedy range and all of them have felt close to stock. Only a tiny bit firmer, which is good. Nothing crazy that would put strain on your leg.

ek
30-09-2006, 11:08 PM
Either the previous owner didnt change the clutch or someone has a bad driving style.

Im 99.9% certain my clutch is the factory one and my car has ticked over 150,000kms. Its feels like its on the way out though.

panda[cRx]
30-09-2006, 11:31 PM
if the previous owner changed the clutch less than a year and a half ago i'd be spending some money on some driving lessons before forking out money for a HD clutch.

daniel b16a
03-10-2006, 06:30 AM
changing the clutch on my ek4 is the most bang for buck change ive done....i got exedy single plate....gettin toda flywheel soon to complement it...but i advise u to get both as taking off ur gearbox will cost a fortune so do it one shot....i dont know how long it lasts but i think it should last for long....as for hardness.....its grippy at the start but after a while u will get used to it...

christmas
03-10-2006, 09:21 AM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/masslegsb.jpg

Heavy duty clutches RULE:p

Boban
03-10-2006, 11:07 AM
I agree with what daniel said, i recently put in a exedy HD into my car and the pedal feel is pretty much same as the stock clutch it's just that it bites a bit harder

TypeRice
03-10-2006, 12:02 PM
hey boban.. wat about the frictoin point on ure new HD clutch??

is there the same amount of friction point ???

Boban
03-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Don't know if it's exactly the same mate, pretty similar. I've got good 5-10 cm of pedal play before it engages, it's just that the engagement is alot harder when you "drop" the clutch and it has caught me off guard a few times when i first put it in resulting in wheelspin but i'm used to it by now. But you can still ride the clutch if you want, there is a fair bit of play like i said and the pedal feel is close to stock so unfortunately your legs won't end up looking like those ones in the pic above :p

TypeRice
03-10-2006, 07:47 PM
man i just came home with my car.. got a new normal clutch..
its sooo light !!!!!!!!!!
even lighter than b4 !!!!!

i hate it !!!!!!!!

should of gotten Heavy Duty !!!!!!!!!!!!

its harder to release the clutch now.. bcoz it doesnt push itself out.. i gotta use my leg muscles to let go of it myself..

arghh
bugga
should of listened to da mechanic and gotten HD

oh wells.. next car i'lll get HD ..

Boban
04-10-2006, 11:09 AM
how much did the stock one cost, just out of curiousity.
i paid 296 @ trade price for my one (d16y engine)

Limbo
04-10-2006, 03:13 PM
Stock it almost the same price, unless you get it direct from Honda then expect to pay for abit more. Your standard B series all come with HD clutches, but as we have hydrolic clutches you won't notice the diff except for the small amount of play and the grippiness of the clutch ( i lie ;p cos i stalled the clutch twice the first time i got the car back, but i got sport organic just one up on your HD clutches)

TypeRice
05-10-2006, 05:06 PM
how much did the stock one cost, just out of curiousity.
i paid 296 @ trade price for my one (d16y engine)

my clutch kit cost $260
Flywheel cost $70
and Bearings cost $20
and labour cost $280
and GST was $63

$693 in total.. pretty cheap yeah =)