PDA

View Full Version : how to reduce body roll

Anthony38
24-05-2004, 12:31 AM
Hello everyone

I owe a EM1. as many of you's know the seats are crap. And I find that the car has a lot of body roll. Meaning I have to go around corners like my grandma.
What is a decent/affordable way to reduce it without lowering the car?

Thanks in Advance.

JEMBON
24-05-2004, 12:37 AM
just get different seats?

raff
24-05-2004, 01:00 AM
chop half of the coils off ur springs LOL
nah!

u can chop a couple of coils i suppose otherwise strut bars!

jus buy a set of king springs!

-MuGen PoWer-
24-05-2004, 01:19 AM
get bucket seats

VTEC16
24-05-2004, 01:26 AM
stiffer (and lower) suspension and anti-roll bars.

SIKCVC
24-05-2004, 01:34 AM
coil overs?

VTEC16
24-05-2004, 01:59 AM
Well weight transfer and bodyroll are linked...so:

Weight transfer= (Weight*g-force*Height)/(gravity*track width)

So basically you could:

a) reduce the weight of the car

b) go slower around corners (LOL)

c) lower your car

d) drive on the moon

e) get wider tires and tub your chassis.

...or something like that

but its basically dependant on your height, weight and track width.

ts0nda
24-05-2004, 03:53 AM
Well weight transfer and bodyroll are linked...so:

Weight transfer= (Weight*g-force*Height)/(gravity*track width)

fckn physics freak lol

just get a front of rear strut bar. makes a big difference and im sure you can pick up no name brands for cheap or even second hand ones ;)

joneblaze
24-05-2004, 10:12 AM
Larger (diameter) rear sway bar. :)
Speak to Wynode about it. He'll push you in the direction of Whiteline suspension for sure. :)
But seriously... good value for money handling mod...even on stock suspension/height it makes a huge difference.

mo
24-05-2004, 10:30 AM
Whiteline is definitely pretty good value for money...and good support for Aus companies :D

MR-VTEC
24-05-2004, 11:07 AM
just a question why don't you want to lower ur car?

mo
24-05-2004, 11:18 AM
just a question why don't you want to lower ur car?

Maybe he doesnt want to lower it in case it scraps? Or it's already lowered?

MR-VTEC
24-05-2004, 11:19 AM
true.maybe.

[[d a n n y]]
24-05-2004, 01:03 PM
1.lower it about 2" with stiffer springsa and aftermarket shocks..
2.get front strut brace or sway bar..(thicker than stock)+rear sway and strut to counter act the understeer
3.get a full coilver suspension system.

choose either one of those 3

and you wont drive liek a grandma through corners no more.

Kit
24-05-2004, 01:17 PM
hehehe he specifically said he doesn't wanna lower his car and half the replies go and tell him to lower it. hehehe :P

as mentioned earlier, you can change your sway (anti roll) bars.
they will reduce the difference in movement between the left and right lower suspension arms during cornering and thus reduce body roll.

Anthony38
24-05-2004, 01:31 PM
hehehe he specifically said he doesn't wanna lower his car and half the replies go and tell him to lower it. hehehe :P

they will reduce the difference in movement between the left and right lower suspension arms during cornering and thus reduce body roll.

may I ask what is a sway bar? is it the bar that goes across the engine and bolted to the structure of the car?
So I should get one for the rear and the front?

how much do they cost??

[[d a n n y]]
24-05-2004, 01:38 PM
it's bolted under the car..on top of the fron lower control arms

Kit
24-05-2004, 01:44 PM

may I ask what is a sway bar? is it the bar that goes across the engine and bolted to the structure of the car?

how much do they cost??

what they look like is a long metal rod bent into a long U shape.

like this:

|_______________|

the long bottom bit of the bar is bolted onto the chassis of the car, and the arms can move up and down as they wish.

the two arms are them bolted onto the lower suspension arms.
Under hard cornering, the car will roll and the inner suspension arm will move up, and the outer suspension arm will move down. But as the sway bar is bolted to the arms it flexes the sway bar.
The sway bar will resist excess bending and hence reduce body roll.

You car will have sway bars standard from the factory, but you can change them to different spec ones.
beware, changing sway bars can alter the handling characteristics of your car

ginganggooly
24-05-2004, 01:45 PM
as was mentioned, sway bars and uprated springs. you can buy springs that are stiffer without increasing your ride height... get some good shocks to go with them though :)

TOYOL
24-05-2004, 02:42 PM

how much do they cost??

I had a whiteline sway bar fitted into my coupe and it worked great! Now my rear is more stiff than my front so it tends to over steer. The white line kit costs bout 400 including rear tie bar.

joneblaze
24-05-2004, 04:59 PM
There is a tech post written by Wynode on rear sway bars from awhile back. It can be found here:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=374&highlight=sway+bar

These are also really good quick reading:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=964&highlight=sway+bar

http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34&highlight=sway+bar

BTW, a front strut brace will do basically NOTHING.

Weq
24-05-2004, 05:18 PM
http://members.optusnet.com.au/loxy/car/turbo/parts/sway_bars.jpg

Civ_97
24-05-2004, 06:18 PM
There is a tech post written by Wynode on rear sway bars from awhile back. It can be found here:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=374&highlight=sway+bar

These are also really good quick reading:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=964&highlight=sway+bar

http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34&highlight=sway+bar

i dont really know much bout this kinda stuff but why does it do nothin? how come u c so many people puttin them on their hondas? is it just cause they dont know they useless and salesman are tellin them they important to make a few extra bucks?

joneblaze
24-05-2004, 06:29 PM
Because they look nice in the engine bay, are relatively cheap, and as you have mentioned - "everyone" has them in their engine bays, so if you were new to cars, why not fit one one yourself?

A front strut bar will merely make your front end more neutral, hence more UNDERsteer...
Fitting a larger rear sway bar/strut bar will make your rear stiffer, hence inducing OVERsteer, which is alot nicer to control IMO... :)
Have a read man.

Civ_97
24-05-2004, 06:43 PM
thanks for that mate

tanghy
24-05-2004, 09:12 PM

you wanna back that up?

joneblaze
24-05-2004, 09:29 PM

you wanna back that up?

Just going from what I've felt on my car. Purely personal experience. I can't back that up with any physics or theories. :)
I'm not saying a front brace wouldn't do anything as part of a suspension setup, but alone it won't do much at all IMO.

ts0nda
24-05-2004, 09:40 PM
at one stage i had just a front strut brace and i wont argue that it creates more understeer (altho i hadnt taken it too hard toofind out at the time), it did decrease body roll

SP0017
24-05-2004, 09:41 PM
take out your front strut bar and go one lap on a track HARD.

then put one strut bar on then do another lap HARD.

then see if you can tell the difference

guys, you won't feel the strut bar dragging your car in a straight line at the traffic lights :x

SP0017
24-05-2004, 09:43 PM
If you use a front strut bar and not a rear strut bar , fair enuff, your front will be stiffer and thus more understeer, but if you use one at thh front and another at the back, there will not be MORE understeer, it will be the same but altogether less roll.

ts0nda
24-05-2004, 09:44 PM
take out your front strut bar and go one lap on a track HARD.

then put one strut bar on then do another lap HARD.

then see if you can tell the difference

guys, you won't feel the strut bar dragging your car in a straight line at the traffic lights :x

haha fair enough well one day i hope to do so :thumbsup:

joneblaze
25-05-2004, 12:27 AM
If you use a front strut bar and not a rear strut bar , fair enuff, your front will be stiffer and thus more understeer, but if you use one at thh front and another at the back, there will not be MORE understeer, it will be the same but altogether less roll.
Point taken Shaun. Thanks for clearing that up. Like I said, when used as part of a package, I'm sure they are useful, but alot people (like I did) simply would fit a front strut alone just because it's the most popular/heard of suspension/handling item.

And I don't just drive in a straight line (although i DID feel a good tightening up of my front end when "launching" hard with a front strut). I feel that a front bar alone has little effect when driving "hard" on twisties. I've never been on a track however, so it might be a whole different ball game there. :)

ian
25-05-2004, 05:38 PM
Hello everyone

I owe a EM1. as many of you's know the seats are crap. And I find that the car has a lot of body roll. Meaning I have to go around corners like my grandma.
What is a decent/affordable way to reduce it without lowering the car?

Thanks in Advance.

dude, i've got an EM1 too (great car). I've lowered mine a bit with King springs still using factory shocks and i'm rolling on 18' rims. The next thing I'd be wanting to get is a rear tower brace and probably sway bars from "whiteline"...............let us know how you go.

bennjamin
25-05-2004, 07:07 PM

you wanna back that up?

Just going from what I've felt on my car. Purely personal experience. I can't back that up with any physics or theories. :)
I'm not saying a front brace wouldn't do anything as part of a suspension setup, but alone it won't do much at all IMO.

Remember Jon.....you still dont fully understand your "bars".... :roll:

You had a "chassis brace"(ala stock ITR or vtir etc)....not a "strut bar " ( like my Carbling ....which connects to the suspension struts....WHICH for the clever name too :roll: ).

A actual good ( not $23.00 US thankyou Danny) strut brace will significantly change the characteristics of a cars handling.......being more neutral/understeer bias If a front strut brace , and more neutral/oversteer bias in the back if a rear one.
For a FWD car....a rear-strut-brace should be on ur shopping list first - then after other sussy mods a front one too to even out.

http://img34.photobucket.com/albums/v104/bennjamin/DSC02771.jpg
FRONT STRUT BRACE

http://img34.photobucket.com/albums/v104/bennjamin/DSC02780.jpg
REAR STRUT BRACE

mo
25-05-2004, 09:50 PM
go t3h carbling http://members.iinet.net.au/~ehor/smileys/holla.gif

joneblaze
26-05-2004, 12:43 AM
LOL@Bren.... :oops: Owned. *sigh*

SP0017
26-05-2004, 02:19 PM
Yeah, the carbing really looks great, I'm sure it helps a lot too.

Anyway, Jonathan, my point was that i don't think there might be any or much difference between say using, spoon, mugen, carbing or cusco strut bars.

But having one and not having one at all is a BIG difference.

Mateoo
26-05-2004, 03:34 PM
in simple terms to elminate body roll

Stiffen your chassis
Lower centre of gravity

TOYOL
26-05-2004, 05:48 PM
Where can one get a carbling brace? Like that white one.... Nice piece.

joneblaze
26-05-2004, 05:54 PM
:nod: Pure sex....

[[d a n n y]]
26-05-2004, 05:55 PM
from carbring?

[[d a n n y]]
26-05-2004, 05:59 PM

you wanna back that up?

Remember Jon.....you still dont fully understand your "bars".... :roll:

You had a "chassis brace"(ala stock ITR or vtir etc)....not a "strut bar " ( like my Carbling ....which connects to the suspension struts....WHICH for the clever name too :roll: ).

A actual good ( not $23.00 US thankyou Danny) strut brace will significantly change the characteristics of a cars handling.......being more neutral/understeer bias If a front strut brace , and more neutral/oversteer bias in the back if a rear one.
For a FWD car....a rear-strut-brace should be on ur shopping list first - then after other sussy mods a front one too to even out.

http://img34.photobucket.com/albums/v104/bennjamin/DSC02771.jpg
FRONT STRUT BRACE

http://img34.photobucket.com/albums/v104/bennjamin/DSC02780.jpg
REAR STRUT BRACE

ur not refering to me right?

mo
26-05-2004, 06:52 PM
Nah he's not http://members.iinet.net.au/~ehor/smileys/gayhandshake.gif

tanghy
26-05-2004, 07:37 PM

he bought from ME

bennjamin
26-05-2004, 11:59 PM
The Question has been answered...Carbling has put its shiny , white sexy foot down -

And, if you would like to possess soemthign as gorgeous as myself , please contact tanghy upon this very forum :):):)