PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me if these are legal???

EK9_boi
28-09-2006, 10:25 AM
Check this rice out it's mad!!! well, at least I think it is :p

http://www.sames-inc.com/taff_bo.html

BUT.....is it legal to have your brake light configured to flash 5 times before becoming fully lit.

I'm sure I can do the fade-out option, but I think that it'll be safer if you can do the 5 flash thing - cos at uni, I'd learnt that the eye is more sensitive to flicker?

anyway, please let me know, preferably with some written evidence to support your statement...thanks!

cheers

taizon
28-09-2006, 10:30 AM
flashing would b bloody annoying

destrukshn
28-09-2006, 10:31 AM
why don't you try callin up the traffic authorities?

i'd highly doubt someone would have something written down regarding that kind of info.

IS250
28-09-2006, 11:21 AM
That would be illegal.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/rdsafe/VSI%2013.pdf

5. When lit, the lamps should display a steady red light to the rear. Lamps which flash, pulsate or 'move', or contain any written or graphic message are not allowed.

My friend got fined for having leds on his exhaust tip that lights up when you brake.

EK9_boi
28-09-2006, 11:50 AM
That would be illegal.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/rdsafe/VSI%2013.pdf

5. When lit, the lamps should display a steady red light to the rear. Lamps which flash, pulsate or 'move', or contain any written or graphic message are not allowed.

My friend got fined for having leds on his exhaust tip that lights up when you brake.

Thanks heaps!!! :thumbsup:

Ok, that means I can only have it on the fade-out function which is an expesive way of spending about $100.00AUD...:(

will see if thereare cheap fade-out circuits available

IS250
28-09-2006, 12:10 PM
No worries.

I once saw an Accord with flashing number plate brake lights, looked mad and I was planning on getting one. But then I found out they were illegal. :(

m3ntAL_l2
28-09-2006, 12:12 PM
y dont u just tap the breaks couple of times be4 u really start breakinG

saxman
28-09-2006, 12:18 PM
there's talk of brand new cars being offered with this stock, so it'll probably be legal in a few years. It does make a difference from a safety standpoint.

EuroDude
28-09-2006, 12:30 PM
there's talk of brand new cars being offered with this stock, so it'll probably be legal in a few years. It does make a difference from a safety standpoint.

Yeah I recall a european car company are going to implement variable brightness brakes, that increase in brightness depending on how hard the car is braking.

Flashing brakes would be freakin annoying, can you imagine every car in front of you having bright flashing brake lights in peak hour traffic? Seizure time lol

EK9_boi
28-09-2006, 12:30 PM
y dont u just tap the breaks couple of times be4 u really start breakinG

cos EBD thinks I want to break and applies additional stopping pressure - thus making it unsafe driving.

Plus, I can't bear the thought of remebering to do that everytime I break.

from a safety standpoint, flicker alerts drivers more so than steady lighting. Ask any 2nd year B.Optom student and they'll explain....

Beats me why equipment which make the car "safer" are not ADR approved? I could think of a whole list of items that exceed or are at FIA motorsport standard (I'm not necessarily refering to performance orientated mods either)....

anyway, cheers

IS250
28-09-2006, 12:36 PM
BMW has or will have a system that changes the brightness depending on how hard you brake, ie. Normal braking = Bright, Emergency braking = Bloody bright!

Yeah I recall a european car company are going to implement variable brightness brakes, that increase in brightness depending on how hard the car is braking.

Got in while I was typing hehe.

aaronng
28-09-2006, 12:37 PM
cos EBD thinks I want to break and applies additional stopping pressure - thus making it unsafe driving.
EBD doesn't work that way. It's your foot that is pressing too hard.

EuroDude
28-09-2006, 12:41 PM
BA only senses when you slam the brakes hard in an emergency stop, and activates ABS if needed.

IS250
28-09-2006, 12:48 PM
EBD only senses when you slam the brakes hard in an emergency stop, and activates ABS if needed.

Isn't that Brake Assist? I thought EBD only distributes braking force to the wheels with better traction.

aaronng
28-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Isn't that Brake Assist? I thought EBD only distributes braking force to the wheels with better traction.
That's right, they are all confused. :D :D

BA senses if it is an emergency and engages full brakes + ABS.
EBD only works when ABS is engaged, not full time.

EuroDude
28-09-2006, 01:10 PM
yeh sorry its BA that activates in an emergency.

lol BA, EBD, ABS, FBI, ANZ, its all confusing :D

Slow96GSR
28-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Here in the U.S. that is called impersonating a law enforcement or emergency officers. Only in certain instances can civilians have flashing lights.

Iwishiwasa Type R
28-09-2006, 07:21 PM
I am sure its highly illegal..

to make your tailights flash or dimmer is pretty easy.. all it requires is a couple of AND + OR gate chips for the flashing... current/voltage dialer similar to that used for dimming chandeliers can be hooked up to you brake pedal somehow..

go visit jaycar they have the componenets and the wiring diagrams.. they will help you on your quest for defectiveness..