PDA

View Full Version : ZC + full exhaust = ? power gains?

RMN15N
28-09-2006, 01:16 PM
hey all,
my mate is thinking about putting extractors & a brass button clutch on his zc
and i want to know if it would make a big diffrence?
all up i want to know how it will perform??

forgot to add its 4-2-1

thanks

Joe

aaronng
28-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Good headers are always welcome. http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6/tfr826mq6.png

I assume the cat and catback will be changed as well to match the exit diameter of the headers?

Brass button clutch on the other hand, I don't think it's needed for engine of low torque. Just go for a heavier pressure plate with oem clutch face.

RMN15N
28-09-2006, 01:31 PM
i dont think the cat will be changed and his already got cat back and cannon exhaust

aaronng
28-09-2006, 01:37 PM
i dont think the cat will be changed and his already got cat back and cannon exhaust
If the diameters are matched, it should be good. No point having a large downpipe into a smaller cat. The flow advantages will be lost.

dacbietcrx
28-09-2006, 09:22 PM
hey dude..i have a zc with full exhuast and a button clutch!!

the exhaust i rekon is worth while..its revs so much harder throughout the range..

the button clutch..forget it!! i regret it everyday i drive it to work..

only good for drag racing coz between gears it shifts awesome.. i broke a few engine mounts as well with the button clutch.. i would only get a button if it was a race car..

dont get it..im finking of changing it back to a hd clutch...

RMN15N
29-09-2006, 12:10 AM
fook!.. friend already ordered it.. ill tell him to change the order then
thanks alot lads

does it pull and grip alot quicker ? with the button clutch

aaronng
29-09-2006, 12:21 AM
fook!.. friend already ordered it.. ill tell him to change the order then
thanks alot lads

does it pull and grip alot quicker ? with the button clutch
It becomes like an on-off switch. Nothing in between.

RMN15N
29-09-2006, 12:23 AM
on off switch = no riding

dacbietcrx
29-09-2006, 07:50 AM
u get used to it after a while..but it is quite jerking between gears..i still ride it a bit to make the ride smooth

Bob san
29-09-2006, 12:07 PM
I woundn't expect alot of kw gain... maybe 10% max. What you wanna improve though is lower end torque and better throttle response.

remember upgrading ur headers and cat back system is just making ur exhuast system less restrictive. it dosen't actully 'give' u more power... just lets the waste gas flow out more smoothly.

aaronng
29-09-2006, 01:20 PM
Headers would let you regain power that was lost by the restrictive stock headers. So there is a limit to the power gain. To make N/A engines produce power, you need to make it rev higher or increase torque (which is more difficult). So best would be to use cams so that your peak torque is shifted up higher in the RPM range. Of course, the internals would have to cope with the peak torque at high RPM, so that's another upgrade there.

RMN15N
29-09-2006, 02:06 PM
i know this wont give me more power but it will make the response a hell of a lot quicker than it is atm well im getting it for free so it doesnt matter
with power id do a conversion

bennjamin
29-09-2006, 03:01 PM
not to mention the weight loss associated with replacing the stock cast iron header with a nicer lighter mild steel jobby. Its probably a few kg's weight saving so rejoice.

RMN15N
29-09-2006, 03:07 PM
**joe jumps around rejoicing!

Jazzle
23-10-2006, 12:14 AM
sorry to bring this thread back up... my bro's got a crx with the zc engine and is also wanting to do up the exhaust..

just wanna ask u guys,, what's available in the market?? or you guys getting custom made one?? thanx

EG30
23-10-2006, 07:03 AM
I've replaced my whole system on my EG Si with the ZC engine apart from the stock cat. Cost me $700 for the set of cheapie extractors and 2" mild steel tube bend system with straight thru mufflers. Definately a v noticeable improvements over stock and as Bennjamin said a considerable weight saving up the front over stock as well which I could definately feel when you change direction in the car.

I also got the extractors ceramic coated to keep underbonnet temp down and keep the heat up inside the exhaust prior to the cat ( $200 or so ).

Not sure what you can get down at your local exhaust shop, but mine was off the shelf cheap Mercury brand/type extractors with Lukey mufflers that everyshop can source.

Jazzle
23-10-2006, 10:59 AM
oh thanx for ur info... guess i should pay a visit to the exhaust shop... =)

just another question... is it not worth while to replace the extractor only and not the whole system??? will I still get some sort gain??

also when changing the exhaust system.. will I lose lowend torque?? because im looking to improve the low end performance more than high end as it is a daily driver.

EG30
23-10-2006, 11:08 AM
you'll still get some gains with extractors alone but no the full benefits.

In my set up no loss of low end torque, and actually gained torque and driveability as well. When I crack open the throttle by 1-2mm in 5th gear at say 70Km/h the car starts accelerating already whereas previously it was nowhere near as responsive. The fuel economy was improved as well.

I also have a K&N filter fitted, but that was b4 I fitted the new exhaust.

czy_sol87
23-10-2006, 11:21 AM
like others have said dont get the button clutch, it will just be a pain to drive and the car doesnt have that much power anyway
i've got a excedy sport ceramic and im already regreting that, its very jerky and shudders alot, would only be good on track and drag, but the up side to a button clutch is that u'll probly never have to change it again

Toycivic
23-10-2006, 03:43 PM
hey jo , the clutch works really well with mine, although its not so fun ofr everyday driving, but like eat everyone says dont be a girl n just get used to it, ill let u drive mine next time i c ya,

Jazzle
23-10-2006, 11:06 PM
thanx again eg30 for ur info =)

hello_042
30-10-2006, 02:09 AM
Okay...sorry for a noob question...but I've always wanted to know...what exactly is a ZC...? THanks a lot!

bennjamin
30-10-2006, 03:13 AM
Okay...sorry for a noob question...but I've always wanted to know...what exactly is a ZC...? THanks a lot!

Try our SEARCH function -

Look , ive found a relevant thread , in QUICKER time than it took you to post :)

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35717&highlight=d16a8

RMN15N
30-10-2006, 05:40 PM
hey jo , the clutch works really well with mine, although its not so fun ofr everyday driving, but like eat everyone says dont be a girl n just get used to it, ill let u drive mine next time i c ya,

lol.. whos this again?? i got so many ppl to remember rofl..
ummm.. ive got the brass button for like 2 months now..
its hydrolic and ive learnt how to drive it
i dont shutter at all.. dont even regret it in high traffic.. grips very well.
as for the extractors.. there not in yet.. somone cut the stupid muffler so i got no muffler.. =\
custom buddy club here i come =D

fatboyz39
30-10-2006, 09:21 PM
before and after dyno results will tell you power gains.

Please no 'BUTT dynos'

RMN15N
30-10-2006, 11:30 PM
wtf is butt dyno??
well there really is no point of wasting money on a dyno.. its a piece of shit anyway.. ill save it for the b series