PDA

View Full Version : engine check light

khOa`
28-09-2006, 04:15 PM
hi, sometimes after driving for a while, my engine check light turns on, and then my car idles funny it goes up and down from 1500 to 1000, and when i step on the accelerater the car seems to struggle to rev, and even the exhaust sounds different during this time, but if i turn the engine off, and wait for a while.. say 5minz of so then the engine check light will turn off and everything will be back to normals, anyone have any idea what could be the problem???

aaronng
28-09-2006, 04:19 PM
You need to find out the error code from your ECU

khOa`
28-09-2006, 04:21 PM
i thought the ecu test can only be effective if the engine light is on constantly, but mine only turns on once in a while...

JasonGilholme
28-09-2006, 05:15 PM
It should still log a code in the ECU. There is a tutorial on the forum on how to get this code out of the ecu.

[[d a n n y]]
28-09-2006, 05:36 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8218
there u go mate follow the instructions

Slow96GSR
28-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Should log something like the last 30 codes. Might be a sensor going out to a vac leak or bad timing. Take it to a pro if you can't figure out the code with that link.

XB-16-AX
01-10-2006, 06:40 PM
had similiar problems with my sisters car ...

1) check for CEL codes.

1a) try resetting the ECU

2) if its not throwing any CEL codes, try checking your vacum lines etc.

3) if still occuring, try check your Throttle position sensor or EAIC/V sensor (if it has one)

4) if still occuring, check your spark plugs, leads, and ignition timing.

5) if you had enough, put fuel al over the car and light it up!! and watch the fireworks!! ehhe (jokes) :P

good luck dude, and try to do the steps one by one ..as thats what i did to resolve the problem with my sisters car ... turns out to be the Throttle position sensor was a goner!

JasonGilholme
01-10-2006, 06:52 PM
Check your codes BEFORE you reset the ECU. When you reset the ECU you'll loose any codes that are there.

bennjamin
01-10-2006, 08:24 PM
Check your codes BEFORE you reset the ECU. When you reset the ECU you'll loose any codes that are there.

The ECU will throw codes if there is an error with a sensor ~ resetting the ECU might temporarily remove the code but it will still come back once the ECU is in optimal trim.

Also , a car doesnt have to display a constant code on the ECU check light , to have a code. Try it out as mentioned before and see if there is an issue :)

khOa`
02-10-2006, 02:35 AM
thanx for all the help so far guys, i'll check everything that has been mentioned and hopefully i find the problem and get it fixed

AsH_
02-10-2006, 03:45 PM
my spool vtec solenoid valve comes up in my error code...

would i have to replace the solenoid or would it just need a clean???

bennjamin
02-10-2006, 03:49 PM
my spool vtec solenoid valve comes up in my error code...

would i have to replace the solenoid or would it just need a clean???

Clean the little filter , reset your ECU and see if it shows the same code.
If so then replace it or swap with a known good one .

CRXer
02-10-2006, 04:10 PM
More than likely what ben said,but before u pull anything apart check the wire between valve & ecu is unbroken or not shorted to ground anywhere,especially if uve had piggybacks or VAFC installed check near ecu for any connectors that have come apart.

AsH_
02-10-2006, 04:47 PM
stock setup...

ill tell the mech 2 clean it wen i service it... thankz...

TRUMAN
03-10-2006, 09:53 PM
Are all ur metres working? speedo, tacho etc?

khOa`
04-10-2006, 01:44 PM
i managed do ecu test and got 1long blink pause then 3short blinks pause then 6short ones which i think are codes:
10 IAT - intake air temperature sensor
3 MAP - manifold absolute pressure sensor
6 ECT - water temperature sensor
just wanted to know what needs to be done to get rid of these codes, and could these codes be the reason for my car acting all spastic like?

JasonGilholme
04-10-2006, 01:48 PM
Anything to do with your intake sensors can give you weird air/fuel mixtures which can cause abnormal things to happen.

bennjamin
04-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Is your MAP sensor connected ? (black plug located ontop of the throttle body with a plug on it)
Is the IAT sensor connected ? (located on the intake arm past the airbox)
Is the ECT connected ? (located on the engine block , below the head / below the dizzy side)
Make sure these 3 sensors are plugged in properly and work from there.

CRXer
04-10-2006, 04:54 PM
i managed do ecu test and got 1long blink pause then 3short blinks pause then 6short ones which i think are codes:
10 IAT - intake air temperature sensor
3 MAP - manifold absolute pressure sensor
6 ECT - water temperature sensor
just wanted to know what needs to be done to get rid of these codes, and could these codes be the reason for my car acting all spastic like?

For 3 sensors to go at once is a little too coincidental.
So see what they have in common.
U will find they share the same ground reference off the ecu.
Check all your grounding points,especially thermostat ground & tranny ground.

Also check the plugs at the shock tower,make sure they are coupled well

Another thing they have in common is they share the same ecu,hope that not the prob.

Note codes down(guess u already have above) & reset the ecu & see if any make another appearance.

khOa`
07-10-2006, 03:24 PM
thanx for all the help and suggestions guys, yesterday i checked all the sensors and they were plugged in properly, however the MAP sensor was quite dirty i sprayed it with carby cleaner, and cleaned the other sensors while i wat at it, also checked some of the grounding points, some looked really old... so i got them changed and reset the ecu.. so far no problem and hope the problem is fixed.. once again thanx everyone

AsH_
31-10-2006, 03:43 PM
i still got my problem...

annoying... i dont think i got oil going up into the whole solenoid...
the upper section of the solenoid didnt have oil in it... but the valve was ok...

AsH_
11-11-2006, 11:42 AM
ive got error 21 - vtec spool valve...

wats wrong???
the filters clean, the valve spins ok, and up n down... might have some dirt in it... dunoo...

how should i clean the oil from the solenoid??? i was told use petrol...