PDA

View Full Version : Help... Sub

Calvo
24-05-2004, 11:23 AM
hey peeps,
alrite on friday nite, turned the car on and stereo on and realised was no bass. so popped the boot and realised my sub isnt working.
now the amp is turning on etc.
ive checked all the connections etc, but i cant seem to get it working. anyone kno wat this prob could be?? could it just be a blown fuse? if so how do i check for blown fuses?

i was playing around with the amp earlier (just having a browse through like u said marty) and dont kno if i may of set something by accident. does anyone kno how reset the amp to factory settings? its a Alpine MRD-M300.

mojo the flashy monkey
24-05-2004, 12:10 PM
poke it with a stick works for me

SIKCVC
24-05-2004, 01:00 PM
is that the digital amp? and yeah check your fuses, pull them out and just replace them with same fuses, saves the hassel of thinking they're not blown when they are. also the wiring on the sub itself? my have vibrated loose.

Javed
24-05-2004, 01:04 PM
oh and if the amp resets you have to reset all the settings cos of that digital input on those alpine amps, i hate them! lol

Dominik
24-05-2004, 01:31 PM
Might want to check if the sub is alright as well... If it has blown the cone will be very stiff, and wont want to move in or out (you can usually tell pretty quickly when you push the cone lightly.

Calvo
24-05-2004, 06:16 PM
oh and if the amp resets you have to reset all the settings cos of that digital input on those alpine amps, i hate them! lol
lol, isnt there a way to check? coz i dun wanna go buy fuses for no reason. yeh its the digi amp.

Might want to check if the sub is alright as well... If it has blown the cone will be very stiff, and wont want to move in or out (you can usually tell pretty quickly when you push the cone lightly.

i doubt it coz my amp isnt even powerful enuff to run my sub, unless something else happened. but i'll check.

thanks for the help so far guys.

Dominik
24-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Actually, underpowering a sub can be as bad as overpowering it! When your amp is pushing at it's limits, it will tend to clip the sound waves to put out a short DC burst... The louder you push it, the more DC you get until the sub says 'enough!' and fries.

Dont know much about this digital amp stuff though, so that could be the problem...

traNce_gl
25-05-2004, 01:57 PM
does ur head deck adjust the bass volume it could be thats u prolly chnaged the setting on ur head deck and u prolly diddent know it .?

Fhrx
26-05-2004, 11:57 AM
Calvo, have you turned the bass comp function off dude?

Calvo
26-05-2004, 12:03 PM
i just checked, its on.

i ran a multimetre check on the sub box terminals and i didnt get a reading. i was told should be getting .5 Volts yeh?? i also tried it straight from the amp terminals, where the speaker wire is connected too. nothing also.

im beginning to think my amp might be just faulty, if so, its under warranty anyways.

Fhrx
26-05-2004, 12:18 PM
Lets start at the subwoofer first. Take the two speaker cables out of te enclosure and put the multimeter on it. It should read 4ohms if the subwoofer is a 4ohm varitey. If there is no reading then a wire has probably come off the sub itself.

Let's check one thing first. :)

Calvo
28-05-2004, 12:16 PM
well brang it to the shop i bought my amp from, and after them running all their tests and shit, figured it was my amp. blown outputs or sumfin like that. lucky its my amp coz its under warranty :D

thanks for the help guys.

Fhrx
29-05-2004, 08:28 AM
Did you upgrade that negative earthing point like I was telling ya too? A weak earth point can often cause power supplies within amps to die. :(

JohnnyBoy
31-05-2004, 02:51 PM
Hmm.. i was half thinking about buying that amp too..

is it that easy to blow?? or did you do something dodgey Calvo?? :P

or just been playing the thing too loud?? :O

Calvo
31-05-2004, 05:55 PM
lol, i dun think it was actually something i done, i dunno. think was just faulty. ive only had the amp in for 2mnth and havent really even pushed it yet (my speakers cant take it as they rnt externally amped).

ive spoken to others and friends that have the MRD series aswell and they seem to have no probs. so yeh, dunno.