PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Issues - NEED HELP!

LEVIN GTV
29-09-2006, 02:21 AM
Well hello again all,

Im going to need a huge effort from the ozhonda community for this one...

SYMPTOMS
Basically my car is still suffering a few teething suspension problems. The symptoms are rattling, and clunking in the front suspension area : wheel, swaybar, etc...

As I drive straight there are no sounds, unless I hit a bump then there is a wobble, a rattle and a clunk...Turning corners the issues arise, when more tension is put on the steering.

Diagnosis
No 1:
CV Joints
These were replaced after the first mechanic tried and diagnosed the problem....

No.2
Shocks
These were replaced today...

Lower control arm bushes
These were also replaced today

After all these the car is still suffering the initial problems. Although the new bushes were put in, along with the struts the car is much stiffer and firmer. The control arm bushes were difficult, but they do assist alot.

What could it be?

Im thinking sway bar...It is slightly touching the exhaust. However, they have been there together for about 1 year now...and the problems have only arisen recently (past 2 months).

The bushes are all in great condition, and the sway bar is all good and nice and tight...But it is clunking around a bit. Alot of people running whiteline swaybars have had similar issues.

But im disillusioned...After going to 3 separate mechanics and dealing with all those problems...The same issues still occur.

What should I look at?

Any ideas, help would be greatly appreciated guys!
Cheers

EK4R
29-09-2006, 03:05 AM
springs not compressed enough thus moving about as weight transfers and hitting your shocks or chassis? try putting some rubber tape around the springs to help it cushion.

just a thought could be totally wrong

also i find it if i have my sussy firmer (hard damper) it helps

Slow96GSR
29-09-2006, 08:11 AM
Have you had the brakes replaced? Is everthing torqued to right pressures? What else has been done to the suspension? What year and model is this car?

SiReal
29-09-2006, 08:28 AM
I had clunking... turns out the placement/fitment of the spring was incorrect and hence it moved around in the cup.

LEVIN GTV
29-09-2006, 12:09 PM
Yeah we checked the springs, they seemed ok...Doesnt seem like its coming from the springs.

This problem occured before, and after install of the new springs...So its definately not the springs.

SiReal
29-09-2006, 02:39 PM
maybe the exhaust is loose? I.e one of the rubber mounts could've given way and the piping is freely smacking the 'sidewalls' of the grooved undercarriage? Have a wiggle of that.

And yes, there is the possiblilty the sway bar (if upgraded and thicker), that it could be hitting the exhaust and other componhents.

Maybe SAFELY get under your car and check for bare metal surfaces (because of scrapeing, scratching, etc).

Sorry cant give u solid advice.

LEVIN GTV
29-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Have booked the car in at Pedders for a $14 suspension check up...Its next week so ill have to deal with the car until then...

Fingers crossed it is nothing major!

aaronng
29-09-2006, 03:51 PM
Greased the sway bar bushings?

LEVIN GTV
29-09-2006, 05:10 PM
Oh hell yeah. That thing got a serious grease!!!

bennjamin
29-09-2006, 05:12 PM
i think statically , the rear swaybar seems to clear exhuast piping etc but once dynamically moving it hits something...subframe ? piping ?

You can get some chalk or even a cheap can of paint - spray abit on the piping and swaybar and check in a weeks time for any wear marks

JasonGilholme
29-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Steering rack loose???

LEVIN GTV
29-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Dont think it is the rear swaybar, as there are no sounds whatsoever coming from the rear. It is all up the front.

Steering Rack - unsure! But I dont think so.

It has to be regarding something of the following
- control arm, shocks, springs, swaybars....

LEVIN GTV
29-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Ok the swaybar is lose on the passenger side. When i shake the side of the car, the sounds suggest either the spring is not compressed correctly or something else...

Maybe rackboots?

SiReal
30-09-2006, 05:44 PM
maybe ur swaybar links are worn (i.e. the nuts and bolts). that happens on the accord and u need new endlinks.

LEVIN GTV
30-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Swaybar is in good nick. THe bushes, bolts etc. Only had it for 1 year.

T-onedc2
31-10-2006, 10:03 PM
I had an AE93 SX and after installing new suspension I had a real bad clunking sound over larger bumps and while turning, turned out I forgot to fit the bumpstops, so check that you've got some and if so then check the condition to make sure they haven't perished with age.

LEVIN GTV
03-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Replaced the bumpstops when i did the shocks. They were shagged!

Turns out it was the swaybar causing issues, hitting my exhaust. Occurred all of a sudden.

Got the exhaust relocated with a bit more clearance, eliminating the issue.

Its weird how this happens all of a sudden! ALL SORTED !