PDA

View Full Version : ITR Help please

misterpoh
29-09-2006, 09:49 AM
Car has been experiencing some problems lately. I think.

Engine light is on, flashed it and seems like the dizzy has problems. Car still moves alright etc so havent gotten round to changing it.

When car is started up, looking @ the revs. its constant. Not jumping up nor down. Listening to the engine, it sounds normal > no funny noises.

Listening to the exhaust, the flow is not smooth and not constant. occasionally, it coughs abit. You can hear it going smooth then a "pop" then smooth again then a "pop". Is that due to a leak somewhere in the exhaust?
Or is it because of the dizzy?

Any suggestions anyone?

Many thanks in advance !

EDIT : Error Code 9 > CYP Sensor (Cylinder Sensor)

stanleym
29-09-2006, 10:14 AM
i just put an exahust on my gsi.. it seems i have the cough thing u mention

when i driving around 2-2500 rpm i can hear wat sounds like a leak..... when i took it back apprantly i had crack in the catalyst.. which they fixed ..but the noise is still there...i will be goin to another exhaust place for a third opinion

bennjamin
29-09-2006, 10:16 AM
since the engine light is on ~ if you have a spare uninsulated paper clip or similar try this ECU test

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8218

PErhaps the o2 sensor is disconnected or fouled.

misterpoh
29-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Thanks for your prompt reply. Ya, flashed the ECU already and all sensors seem to be okay except for the dizzy.

Just off topic, nice write up Ben !

Felix
29-09-2006, 10:47 AM
off to the mechanic???

misterpoh
29-09-2006, 10:51 AM
off to the mechanic???

Oh, thanks for the constructive input Felix !

Now I feel stoopid for posting up this thread for I should just print some money and hand it over the a mechanic and not learn anything at the end of the day.

CRXer
29-09-2006, 12:45 PM
Which dizzy code did u get?

misterpoh
29-09-2006, 01:09 PM
Which dizzy code did u get?

Cant really remember, sorry mate. It was flashed and my friends said it was something to do with the dizzy. Its either dirty or needs to be replaced. Cleaned it out but car is still suffering from the same problem. Perhaps its e o2 sensor. Will check it out tomorrow. Thats the info i have for the time being. :)

CRXer
29-09-2006, 03:03 PM
Do another code check,could be one of the sensors inside the dizzy,will take u 2mins.

misterpoh
29-09-2006, 03:23 PM
Do another code check,could be one of the sensors inside the dizzy,will take u 2mins.

Cool, I will sort it out this weekend. Let you know e outcome again ! Many thanks !

misterpoh
02-10-2006, 06:31 PM

Done, 9 flashes.
CYP Sensor (Cylinder Sensor) I am starting to worry.. What is cylinder sensor?

CRXer
02-10-2006, 06:46 PM
CYP sensor detects the cam timing in relation to the No 1 cylinder position,giving the ecu info as to what cylinder to inject fuel into.

I dont think this sensor is easily replaced & could mean a new rotor shaft or new dizzy housing.

Maybe someone else could tell u what needs changing

misterpoh
02-10-2006, 07:19 PM
CYP sensor detects the cam timing in relation to the No 1 cylinder position,giving the ecu info as to what cylinder to inject fuel into.

I dont think this sensor is easily replaced & could mean a new rotor shaft or new dizzy housing.

Maybe someone else could tell u what needs changing

Sound expensive ! Any long run issues if i dont replace it? Will this also be the cause of the exhaust flow too?

CRXer
02-10-2006, 08:17 PM
I would get someone to check the timing first,but i think this would give other codes if timing was way out.

Then check the sensor terminals inside the dizzy to see if none have come loose ,then check all the related wiring back to the ecu for shorts,poor connections,etc before buying new parts.

Maybe if u knew someone with a dizzy,u could swap it in for a quick way to narrow down the prob to this area.

Could end up being the ecu has a prob.

i wouldnt leave it for too long,can u use a multimeter?

misterpoh
02-10-2006, 09:49 PM
I would get someone to check the timing first,but i think this would give other codes if timing was way out.

Then check the sensor terminals inside the dizzy to see if none have come loose ,then check all the related wiring back to the ecu for shorts,poor connections,etc before buying new parts.

Maybe if u knew someone with a dizzy,u could swap it in for a quick way to narrow down the prob to this area.

Could end up being the ecu has a prob.

i wouldnt leave it for too long,can u use a multimeter?

Going to change the dizzy this weekend. Ya, i know how to use a multimeter.

ECU-MAN
02-10-2006, 10:04 PM
if the CYP sensor is at fault, you will most probably be looking at a new distributor.

some tests you can do with basic tools would be a continuilty test of the wiring back to the ECU from the distributor.

a resistance test of the sensors in the dizzy ( 350R to 700R )

these test can be a positive result with no fault, thats when you need an ociliscope so you can view the wave form pattern of the signal.

your ecu is giving you code 9 CYP but there could be a sub code that you need the special Honda tool to read out. like noisy CYP. this means the signal the CYP generates is not clean, it has ripples in it.

could be caused by faulty bearing in the dizzy, cracked CYP sensor housing.

if you can try a dizzy from a another ITR or a OBDII CRX or VTIR Civic

good luck with it

misterpoh
02-10-2006, 10:53 PM
if the CYP sensor is at fault, you will most probably be looking at a new distributor.

some tests you can do with basic tools would be a continuilty test of the wiring back to the ECU from the distributor.

a resistance test of the sensors in the dizzy ( 350R to 700R )

these test can be a positive result with no fault, thats when you need an ociliscope so you can view the wave form pattern of the signal.

your ecu is giving you code 9 CYP but there could be a sub code that you need the special Honda tool to read out. like noisy CYP. this means the signal the CYP generates is not clean, it has ripples in it.

could be caused by faulty bearing in the dizzy, cracked CYP sensor housing.

if you can try a dizzy from a another ITR or a OBDII CRX or VTIR Civic

good luck with it

Roger that, most likely I will change e whole dizzy. Way too much hassle to test and work out e fault. I really appreciate ur expert help as always ! Will change the dizzy this weekend and let u guys know the outcome !

misterpoh
23-10-2006, 09:36 AM
Thanks boys, Distributor changed and now, no more engine light, exhaust doesnt do that "pop" anymore!

spardikis
23-10-2006, 05:11 PM
i would have said the timing sounds like its out... good work on doing your own diagnostics - its the only way to learn :)

misterpoh
23-10-2006, 06:26 PM
^^ with the help of all you ppl, everything seems more easier ! Cheers !