PDA

View Full Version : Civic Type R (race edition)

Malenic1981
30-09-2006, 01:49 PM
This is the stuff* I want, full race preped CTR hehe

http://world.honda.com/news/2006/4060928ParisSalon/photo/images/20.jpg

http://world.honda.com/news/2006/4060928ParisSalon/photo/images/21.jpg

This development programme has produced an exciting range of advanced racing parts for competition level racing, making the Type R a highly competitive contender in the world of amateur racing.

The racing Civic Type R on display has been developed under the current GrA specifications and features:

· A lightweight Chrome Molibdenum alloyed steel roll cage, offering maximum protection for driver and co-driver with additional torsional stiffness to the bodyshell.
· A custom designed 6-speed sequential gearbox, created specifically for the new Civic Type R and the rigors of rallying on tarmac or gravel. The gearbox is operated by the driver through an ergonomic lever, which is hidden below the dashboard and positioned next to the steering wheel. The drivetrain is completed by reinforced driveshafts and a state-of-the-art limited slip differential (plate type with adjustable preload).
· The engine has been further upgraded by means of re-profiled camshafts and other internals for competition use, all of which have been successfully tested in the challenging Nürburgring 24 hours race
· A programmable, custom-developed Engine Control Unit (ECU) which also includes a competition data logger.
· Lightweight carbon-fibre interiors (door panels, dashboard trims, floor panels) that combine the need for weight saving with the 'flavour' of hi-tech motorsport.

The current production plans would allow the Civic Type R to obtain its FIA homologation in GrA & GrN on 01 April 2007. Orders for racing kits and parts can be placed at JAS Motorsport (www.jasmotorsport.com (http://www.jasmotorsport.com)) from October 2006, with first deliveries forecasted for February 2007.

In addition to this engineering relationship, JAS Motorsport continues to provide an extensive range of services to the Honda racing customer, including a free of charge telephone advice facility and full racing support on race tracks and rally events.

*edited out front-page expletive lol Bennjamin.

Felix
02-10-2006, 01:27 AM
awesome. Whos going to buy me one..

tRipitaka
02-10-2006, 01:30 AM
sparco's eh ?

Mikeyas
02-10-2006, 01:48 AM
yeah, why no recaros.... Think that would be the wise move while using recaros as your seat of choice in production cars...

aaronng
02-10-2006, 02:38 AM
Not many serious race cars use recaros... Recaros cater more to the oem market for sports cars and street-sports. Sparco caters to proper racing (WRC, SCCA, BTCC)

panda[cRx]
02-10-2006, 06:53 AM
sparco = racers choice

recaro = ricers choice

:)

krogoth
02-10-2006, 12:42 PM
get rid of the roofscoop

lol

otherwise i love it

SiReal
02-10-2006, 01:35 PM
looks nice. roofscoop is practical waz. haha... if ur doing an endurance race, u'd want phressshh air coming in constantly.

Felix
02-10-2006, 01:36 PM
get rid of the roofscoop

lol

otherwise i love it

roofscoop is an OPTION.

sparco are the seats in the racing crowd..

aaronng
02-10-2006, 01:43 PM
Is there a hole in the roof that lets the air in through the roofscoop? What if it is raining? You get a free shower?

Felix
02-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Is there a hole in the roof that lets the air in through the roofscoop? What if it is raining? You get a free shower?

have you ever been in a car with the sunroof open travelling at above 80kms/h when its raining??
You dont get wet, and thats with full sunroof open... (ok but i havent tryed it when its absolutely bucketing down)..
Basically the air/wind coming up off your windscreen pushes the rain straight over the top of the sunroof.
Just have to be quick to close the sunroof when you slow down...

aaronng
02-10-2006, 02:21 PM
have you ever been in a car with the sunroof open travelling at above 80kms/h when its raining??
You dont get wet, and thats with full sunroof open... (ok but i havent tryed it when its absolutely bucketing down)..
Basically the air/wind coming up off your windscreen pushes the rain straight over the top of the sunroof.
Just have to be quick to close the sunroof when you slow down...
That's because the opening of the sunroof is flat. With the scoop, the opening faces the front. So it will scoop rain in. It'll scoop even more the faster you drive. LOL

Felix
02-10-2006, 04:43 PM
That's because the opening of the sunroof is flat. With the scoop, the opening faces the front. So it will scoop rain in. It'll scoop even more the faster you drive. LOL

I dont know about that, because the air will be rushing up off the top of the windscreen and straight into the scoop. meeh i dunno. Anyway its a race car, who cares about getting wet...

And as I said i believe its an option anyway.

z3lda
02-10-2006, 06:56 PM
its only got the scoop cuz its a rally car and if u havent noticed all professional rally cars got roof scoopz cuz the windos dont open.

aaronng
02-10-2006, 08:14 PM
its only got the scoop cuz its a rally car and if u havent noticed all professional rally cars got roof scoopz cuz the windos dont open.
The windows open. But when driving they drive with it closed.

TypeRice
03-10-2006, 12:37 PM
wow that is nice stickers or paint.. for the car !!!
i wanna buy those red/black stickers to stick on my car !! heahaeahe

ricer !!!!!!!!!

sitta
03-10-2006, 05:48 PM
rally on gravel?? no awd??

j3z3z
03-10-2006, 07:45 PM
yeah the f2 class of rallying

B and B
07-10-2006, 12:10 PM
This looks like a good place for my first post! Glad to find you guys.
Hopefully, one day I'll be tearin' it up down there!

sugz
09-10-2006, 02:07 PM
love the rims...

daniel b16a
09-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Lj...buy Me One Man!!

ROLLED
15-10-2006, 08:02 PM
u can drive a convertible in the rain at 70km/h+ with the windows up and not get wet, i dont see why a small scoop should be an issue...and yes i ahve tried it before and no u don't get wet...

FWD rally car??

aaronng
15-10-2006, 08:24 PM
u can drive a convertible in the rain at 70km/h+ with the windows up and not get wet, i dont see why a small scoop should be an issue...and yes i ahve tried it before and no u don't get wet...

FWD rally car??
Convertible with the top down at speed won't get wet. Because the windscreen forms a buffer in the front the "scoop" is essentially facing the rear. With the CTR scoop, the opening is facing the front, so it is scooping air/water in.

You can test by driving in reverse as fast as possible or be on a flat bed trailer with the car facing the back when it is drizzling, and the faster you go, the more wet you will get.

Tofu
10-01-2007, 09:30 PM
hmm...then how do you explain the GruppeM intake scoop for the DC5?
the scoop is facing forwards ontop of the bonnet...surely rain water will get in, but it works without a problem

aaronng
10-01-2007, 09:38 PM
hmm...then how do you explain the GruppeM intake scoop for the DC5?
the scoop is facing forwards ontop of the bonnet...surely rain water will get in, but it works without a problem
Doesn't look like it is facing forwards. Looks like it is facing backwards.
http://www.gruppem.co.jp/application/ram/ramphoto/images/honda_inte_dc5mcgo.jpg

matt
10-01-2007, 11:39 PM
i believe that teh gruppeM does point forward once it clears the bonnet

you can see the top part of teh intake in this photo pretty clearly

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/milano_chris/1e9ea077.jpg

silver_screen
10-01-2007, 11:50 PM
nothin wrong with water in the engine anywayz.. as long as its turned into an extremely fine mist b4 it his the chambers.. otherwise they're gonna have many bent rods :)

aaronng
10-01-2007, 11:55 PM
That's not the gruppeM that you are seeing. That's the wind deflector for the wiper.

Look at this pic:

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/685/gruppemdc5rhl7.jpg

aaronng
10-01-2007, 11:56 PM
nothin wrong with water in the engine anywayz.. as long as its turned into an extremely fine mist b4 it his the chambers.. otherwise they're gonna have many bent rods :)

Hehe, the debate was over water would get into the roof scoop and wet the driver:
http://world.honda.com/news/2006/4060928ParisSalon/photo/images/20.jpg

silver_screen
11-01-2007, 10:49 AM
oh my bad...

hmmm it seems that it might wet the driver.. u never know really unless ur sittin in it while its raining

I think that i might not. I think that inside the scoop or roof, there may be something that catches the water and pisses it off... who knows

who cares if the drivers wet anywayz.. anyone here ever worn a race suit?? u fkn sweat like no tomorrow anywayz :) already wet

aaronng
11-01-2007, 12:19 PM
who cares if the drivers wet anywayz.. anyone here ever worn a race suit?? u fkn sweat like no tomorrow anywayz :) already wet

LOL true :thumbsup:
I wonder if there is a market for 2nd hand race suits. I'm sure if people bought Michael Jordan's BO as an EDT, there should be some people wanting a whiff of Sebastian Loeb. :p

Chris_F
11-01-2007, 10:07 PM
That's not the gruppeM that you are seeing. That's the wind deflector for the wiper.

Look at this pic:

Actually i think the gruppeM for dc5r does have a scoop that faces forward... theres a small hole at the bottom of the CF heat shield for water to drain out of

edit: on second thought it may face backwards - need an owner to chime in

Tofu
11-01-2007, 11:38 PM
http://www.grandprixgroup.com/gpi/magxo/89/INTREGA/007.jpg
this image isn't very good, but as you can see there, it does face backwards towards the firewall...then there's another piece that attaches to this opening that does face upwards and slightly forward.

Tofu
11-01-2007, 11:52 PM
ok here's a pic of the intake with the "scoop" installed\
if anything something like this would gather more rain

JDC5R
11-01-2007, 11:54 PM
Upon normal operation the grouppem does not run a scoop, on rainy days owners are advised to place the scoop on. The scoop itself will hinder the opening of the bonnet but can be easily removed by using a phillips head screw driver.

Additionally there is a hole in the box to allow the water to drain out before any big problems arise. Many owners have the grouppem box over on CITR and none have found any problems. Even owners running mugen box with the mugen bar has not found any problems in flood conditions.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm......................cai however has one unfortunate victim

matt
11-01-2007, 11:55 PM
well, it does draw in air from pretty much straight from the back of the bonnet but there is a duct which can be bolted on to prevent bulk water from pouring into the air box. there is a hole in the bottom of the air box to drain water.
these were about the best pics i could find
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i194/mattdc5r/gruppeminstal.jpg
on the left you can sorta see where the air usually draws from before the duct is fitted

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i194/mattdc5r/gruppem2.jpg

and now with the duct in place

lol everyone else posted now.
tofu-the second pic you posted doesn't have the scoop on

JDC5R
11-01-2007, 11:58 PM
duct was designed to stop sliding water from the windscreen

aaronng
12-01-2007, 12:00 AM
How does the duct get air through the plastic/rubber piece that seals against the bonnet? Do you have to cut it?

matt
12-01-2007, 12:05 AM
the intake sits under the seal, the entire passenger side of the plastic panel there gets replaced with the gruppem, so yeah the intake sits under that seal

aaronng
12-01-2007, 12:07 AM
the intake sits under the seal, the entire passenger side of the plastic panel there gets replaced with the gruppem, so yeah the intake sits under that seal

Ahhh I see! Thanks for that. That makes sense then.

JDC5R
12-01-2007, 09:47 AM
Further to add, the grouppem does not function on a ram-air intake design.

For those of you that know abit about aerodynamics, the air patch between the windescreen a pillar and the bonnet *where the scoop is for grouppem* has lower pressure and the air there is kinda like stale. Usually the air there is cooler then the air at other places and grouppem sucks the air rather then having air rammed into it.

Tofu
12-01-2007, 10:32 PM
...like a vacumed effect.

Thanks matt for your pic, that's the pic i was trying to find! :)

matt
13-01-2007, 02:26 AM
that was with out a doubt the hardest pic i have ever tried to find :)

silver_screen
13-01-2007, 10:23 AM
well you found it.. cant be that hard... im sure theres pics of things u wouldnt ever find...