PDA

View Full Version : replacing input shaft bearing??

tune2look
01-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Will it tighten my gears?

I have a stock 5 speed and my gearbox was to loose and I got myself ES shifter bushing(thanks to JDMyard), it improved alot but not good enough.

After I got the bushing, shifting became much more crispy but I can still put 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear without pressing clutch.

Also, if i knock the shifter to right when neutral, it requires some force and it will actually rebound to neutral position with some force but moving left or up (1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear), it requires no force at all and a toothpick can hold the shifter from going back to neutral position. (holding a tip with fingers and other tip holding the shifter. if I try to hold the shifter knocked to right, i will not be able to hold the force that pushes it self to neutral position)

so my last bet is changing input shaft bearing?

also, after I got my ES shifter bushing, I can hear gears grinding at 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears on low RPM.

ECU-MAN
02-10-2006, 12:04 AM
ISB isnt going to improve shifting.

tune2look
02-10-2006, 10:35 PM
what could be the problem?

maybe the gears are worn out?

will someone have to ride it in order to find out about this sorta problem?

maybe its a common thing for old gearbox?

ECU-MAN
02-10-2006, 10:40 PM
the gears are in constant mesh in a gearbox, if they where worn you would have bigger problems.

your problem could be worn shift linkage in the gearbox, and posibly out of spec syncro service limmits.

Slow96GSR
03-10-2006, 04:04 AM
Sounds more like the springs in the shift assembly in the transmission. Might need a rebuild or just a new(er) one.

barefootbonzai
03-10-2006, 08:40 AM
If you're running a D-series, it's probably not worth the hassle fixing it. Just find another and replace it, i swaped a couple of d-series boxes for a carton of beer, lol.

wynode
03-10-2006, 08:44 AM
If you're running a D-series, it's probably not worth the hassle fixing it. Just find another and replace it, i swaped a couple of d-series boxes for a carton of beer, lol.
That's provided the replacement box you're putting in there isn't in worse condition :0