PDA

View Full Version : B16A2 bottom end replacement

leech
03-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Hi,

just wondering what bottom end will fit onto my b16a head and will it be worth the hassle ie. does it get considerable gains

cheers

panda[cRx]
03-10-2006, 01:41 PM
b20 from crv :thumbsup:

plenty of sites and articles on this conversion. have a search on google and www.honda-tech.com (http://www.honda-tech.com)

there are also a few honda hybrid websites out there with useful info

after a quick google:
http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/b20vtec/b20vtec.php
http://honda.hybrids.jp/b20tech/index.shtml

|N|
03-10-2006, 01:55 PM
b20/b18 r wat my vote goes to...

but leave some $ for tunning and misc

leech
03-10-2006, 02:46 PM
well i can get my hands on a b18 without head, it has aries pistons scatbeam, balanced and blue printed, what would this be worth and would it provide any gains?

JasonGilholme
03-10-2006, 03:11 PM
You'd get alot more torque compared to the b16 providing those pistons haven't lower the compression of the block.

leech
03-10-2006, 05:56 PM
well it has the lowered compression pistons, but i want to start doing work to my engine- i dont want to turbo tho, will i get any gains say from a b20 and what price range am i looking at to do it?

Spunkymonkey
03-10-2006, 06:00 PM
ring around about price range...frankie conversion! b20 is my vote. yes do a search and I'm sure you can find some information.

JasonGilholme
03-10-2006, 06:01 PM
If there are lower comp pistons in there and you're after a NA performance engine you should look at getting different pistons to bring the comp ratio back up to OEM standards or slightly higher.

You should do this before you strap it all together while its outta the car. :thumbsup:

leech
03-10-2006, 06:03 PM
nah, it would csot to much when i could get a oem block with normal compression, so a b20 will bolt straight up? wat work involved

panda[cRx]
03-10-2006, 07:30 PM
SEARCH DUDE

have a read around, u can't expect to be spoon fed on everything that's involved in a b20 conversion

leech
03-10-2006, 10:43 PM
dude i did search. and i looked at those web sites, just wondering if anyone had any experience in doing it.

Has anyone done this conversion on this forum?

Limbo
04-10-2006, 01:09 PM
Ask Scremn he's got a b20

string
04-10-2006, 05:33 PM
There is a lot of pain in the ass shit like oil lines and dowels, and plugging the hole in the head. Well that's a lie its hardly a pain in the ass, but it's more expense. (Cost me $65 to have the head machined and oil hole welded for example, dowels were $25, oil lines around $75).

It probably won't be worth it to tell you the truth. Unless you are going turbo, that built block will be a waste, except for revving a bit higher than the stock B18/B20 would normally like, but even then it is lower compression so your vtec cams won't really be giving you as much loving as normal. If you get a non-built, stock block, it won't like being revved too high. Your rod bolts, and un-balanced bottom end will kick your ass at some point.

I'm doing exactally that, a B16 head on a stock B18 block. However i'll be keeping the rev-limit stock, 7,000rpm or just above. Without a turbo though you'd have to be an idiot as the gains from limiting rpm will not be worth the cost.

Also you'll need a new headgasket, new head bolts, a whole pile of new shit. Most people will say get a new oil pump and water pump; but normal people will just take the old ones off and check em out, if they pass, whack em back in.

I guess the first question is, do you NEED a bottom end replacement? Or are you just asking for fun?

leech
04-10-2006, 06:33 PM
well im asking because i would like to get some more power out of my car. I'm not looking to turbo at this stage and thought a new bottom end might give me some good gains, i'm not going to even worry about that b18 bottem end, but maybe look at a b20

SKREMN
04-10-2006, 11:31 PM
Yer with the b20 its just fiddely things like dows and extra oil lines
if your going to go all out with the b20 high comp and rev high ect you may wanna sleve your block
in ym block i have got
darton sleaves, block saver, type r crank, type r girdel, crower rod and CP high comp pistons
now thats a strong bottom end it was built to whitstand 30PSI but decided not to go turbo and made it high comp