PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Slave/fork (urgent)

Zilli
06-10-2006, 09:06 AM
Gday boys

my cars in getting the hd clutch and flywheel put in, my mechanic is changing the clutch slave, but has noticed that the pin from the slave had been scratching up the fork a little bit, so he wants to change it too to ensure none of the noises that ive been having come back. Its the typical DC2R cltcuh noise that everyone has.

The part of ex Japan, takes 10 days to arrive, no one in Australia has one.

What i want to know very urgently is what are the chances of this creating a problem again?

I need your help quick fellas as i gotta call him back with a decision

destrukshn
06-10-2006, 09:23 AM
afaik, you should be fine.
i've never in my exp had to change that, and no ones ever came back.
there is also a reason why it's ex Japan, becauase it's very rare that it need replacing.

Zilli
06-10-2006, 09:24 AM
hey mate,

are you a mechanic? do you understand exactly what the prrobleem is? because i dont really know, u work for Honda dont you?

destrukshn
06-10-2006, 09:29 AM
the pin that comes out of the cylinder correct?

ek4-guy
06-10-2006, 09:31 AM
see if your mechanic can get an adjustable pin as these usually have a smaller pin on the end to keep them located

Zilli
06-10-2006, 09:33 AM

exactly

destrukshn
06-10-2006, 09:38 AM
yes, well in my exp, no one has ever asked for this pin.
the people i know of, has never replaced the pin.
so in my books, you should be good.

btw, what noises are you getting are you getting for your mechanic to think this is causing the problem?

also.. isn't it today you get your licence back?
lol.

Zilli
06-10-2006, 09:51 AM
i got my license back yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAH

the pins has actually been gouging at the enf of the clutch fork... so he wants to potentially change the fork along with the slave.

The noises ive been getting is the typical squeaking when the clutch is out, stops when my foot is on it, and squeaks as i depress the pedal

so you dont think it will be a problem? he thinks the slave is the main culprit, but as a precaution wants to change the fork resulting from this slight damage, do you think the fork having this small damage will be a problem?

destrukshn
06-10-2006, 09:57 AM
congrats dude..
lol.
fock today is friday, i've been lost as.. lol.

those sounds, sounds like the release bearing.

had the same problem on my brothers car, exactly same noises, turned out to be the clutch release bearing.
it's good to rebuild/replace the slave cylinder, but i don't think that is the problem.

Zilli
06-10-2006, 09:59 AM
the release bearing come with the clutch right?

imjust gonna tell him to go ahead and put the same fork in, after not driving it for 3 months ill live with a little noise

destrukshn
06-10-2006, 10:01 AM
release bearing SHOULD come with a the kit.
what you should also replace is the spigot/pilot bearing.
that part, most honda dealers should have.

you better confirm that it comes with those parts dude.

Zilli
06-10-2006, 10:04 AM
just got off the phone with him, new spigot bearing on the way for the toda, exedy clutch kit came with release... the slave is apparently damaged so hes replacing it... HOPING it all get done today, hes such a picky bastard, but thats a good thing i suppose

dude thanks a lot for your help

destrukshn
06-10-2006, 10:08 AM
lol, slave is leaking?
slaves are cheap anyways.
lol

Zilli
06-10-2006, 10:14 AM
yeh, thats why i told him to just change it up while he's at it... might as well get it all done

destrukshn
06-10-2006, 10:16 AM
did you get the rebuild kit or the whole cylinder?

Zilli
06-10-2006, 10:19 AM
sure mate, its all in his hands, i think he mightve just bought the whole cylinder

destrukshn
06-10-2006, 10:22 AM
lol, a lot easier.
lol, rebulding it is like $20
and replacing it is like $80 i think,.

Zilli
06-10-2006, 10:23 AM
so am i right, u do work for Honda yeh? i remember seeing it someplace

destrukshn
06-10-2006, 10:24 AM
yups sure do.
lol.
btw, how much is he charging for labour?

Zilli
06-10-2006, 10:58 AM
for everything hes doing it for 600.

Bit expensive, but he takes his time and does it right...hes had it since yesterday, i dont mind paying a little extra for someone who does the job properly, hes been my mechanic for amost 10 years

destrukshn
06-10-2006, 11:00 AM
you have pm.
=)

BlitZ
06-10-2006, 12:46 PM
as long as its a trusted mechanic..

I have never had any issues with rubbing from my wiggly piston from my slave.. make sure there is plently of greese there..

The release bearing comes with the clutch kit..
The spiglot bearing cost $2-$5 for a JDM one and shouldnt cost anymore extra as your flywheel is out anyways

Let me know how ya lighten fly wheel feels.. i want to get one too!

barefootbonzai
06-10-2006, 01:08 PM
You're pretty much stressing over nothing. Everything should be fine. And the thing is, if your slave ****ed or whatever you can always change it later. It's a simple job.

Zilli
06-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Its all getting done at once man, i just wanna be able to enjoy the car for now so im getting him to do it all,

ill let you guys know how the flywheel and clutch feels

Slow96GSR
06-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Am I getting this straight that the new slave doesn't come with the pin? EVERY SINGLE ONE I have bought, sold, seen comes with it. If he says it doesn't he is an idiot and trying to rip you off. It's part of the cylinder. Also a performance slave is like $150USD, why not get one of those with your perfomance clutch? Just a though. His prices seem a little high for that replacement labor too, but here we do charge less as there are more mechanics.

Zilli
06-10-2006, 03:00 PM
Dude... read the posts, the pin was not the issue, i was asking if its a good idea to replace the fork as the pin from the slave was gouging the end of the fork.

Slow96GSR
06-10-2006, 08:52 PM

exactly

Sorry I was mistaken for something that wasn't clear in the first place!!

Zilli
07-10-2006, 09:46 AM
OK fellas, its all done so i thought i'd let you all know how the new Exedy Sports Organic and Toda Flywheel feel.

Driving out of the shop

The boys were all saying that i was gonna have a huge left leg before no time. When i jumped in, to be honest there wasnt that HUGE a difference, i've driven a car with a brass button and that was a real pain in the arse to get rolling, this wasn't too bad. The pickup point was nice and low, just the way i like it, and the bite that the new clutch was giving was a beautiful thing. After a couple of jerky attempts to find the pickup and how to modulate the gas i was away. The biggest difference was not in pushing the clutch in, but when it was coming out as expected, but there was a real positive strong feel from the clutch, very very nice. (OEM clutch was in there since i got it new 6 years ago, only a couple of mms of meat left)

Cruising Home
There were a couple of situations where when i was disengaging the clutch when i was trying to baby it and it felt as though babying it meant the clutch would stay in one position, and it started slipping, note to self, just let the clutch out! Couple more jerky take offs from the lights and i was used to it. It was interesting because there wasa lot more response from the flywheel, but not immediately from idle, i was expecting the tacho to shoot up as soon as i gave it a little gas, but it wasnt too different, that might be the response loss from the Injen Intake i put in last week. But once the motor is revving, giving it some more gas reaped a much quicker response.

Picking up speed from low gears, 1st and 2nd, was noticeably nicer, the car felt more "alive". Its happy to move along, especially on small to medium throttle openings. I found myself leaving from a standstill, and even small throttle applications saw me shoooting up to 5krpm and shifting for the next gear. Could be dangerous as it picks up speed quicker too.

Later on that night
On a deserted area i decided to give it a full launch and 1st, 2nd 3rd. The takeoff was excellent, stalling it up at about 5krpm, slowly slipping clutch out then WOT saw it scrabbling for grip and bouncing off redline very quick, very quick snappy shift into 2nd, great pickup, minimal loss off traction hitting 2nd gear, and the shift from 2nd to 3rd was just brilliant. Very quick, positive, minimal time loss and straight back into the high cam.

The biggest difference the combo has made is that the shifts are clean, can be done super quick without any lag from the driveline, this will definately help down the quarter, and around the track im sure will help in keeping your speed up.

Heel Toe shifting is a lot more confident, as the revs pick up nice and quick because off the flywheel.

Overall fellas, i feel it was money well spent, just makes the car more responsive and sharper, and as i said before, much more "alive" and fun to drive.

Cant wait too hit Wakefield at the end of the month!!

BlitZ
07-10-2006, 10:34 AM
sports organic?
you know what i noticed on my sports organic... it looses that crazy initial biting feel after about 2,000kms.. or maybe i just got use to it.

destrukshn
07-10-2006, 10:47 AM
you probably just got used to it.
lol.

Zilli
07-10-2006, 11:18 AM
hmmm.... i hope its a matter of getting used to it.I love the way it bites

destrukshn
07-10-2006, 11:27 AM
hop your using genuine MTF btw
=)

Zilli