PDA

View Full Version : Glass roof conversion

SHOB4G
07-10-2006, 12:02 PM
I own a 89 CRX, currently has a sunroof in and want to do a glass roof conversion.

Where would i be best looking to find a wreck with everything i need?

Has anyone done this before?

Any other advice would be much appreciated.

panda[cRx]
07-10-2006, 09:32 PM
i wouldn't touch it man, too much can go wrong when you're cutting your roof apart.

if you are going to persist and follow thru with it you will be able to source what you are after from any of a number of wreckers in aus.... or even import it from japan

Bayani
08-10-2006, 04:18 AM
Huge work engineering wise, cost too.
If you want it; Import it.

Zdster
08-10-2006, 04:57 AM
I own a 89 CRX, currently has a sunroof in and want to do a glass roof conversion.

So I take it that your current sunroof isnt glass?

Bayani
08-10-2006, 10:36 AM
That'd be right.

Very few CRX's have a FULL glass roof; as oposed to a moonroof. The entire thing, from behind the windscreen, to the start of the hatch is a glass panel.

Excellent for getting chopped up in during an accident. Shling!

SHOB4G
08-10-2006, 11:36 AM
ok thanks for the replies guys much appreciated.
umm eng report is covered so thats fine but the other thing i was a little worried about is my car is on air suspension an slams on the ground at 200psi an i was a little worried about the glass holding together? any opinions?

thanks

Bayani
08-10-2006, 12:09 PM
Don't think having a mate do the eng report will be ok; doing a glass conv. is going to change the car structually significantly; the glass roof crx's are built differently to those with a roof.

I'd suggest better cycling on the airbags anyway; smoother the drop, smoother the ride.

Again; I would suggest getting an import with a glass roof; perhaps you are concerned about your interior? Swap it with the import; perhaps the people over at crxaus.com can help you further

Dxs
08-10-2006, 04:13 PM
ask on honda-tech.com in the EF forums
quite a few people have done it

XCESIV
09-10-2006, 09:38 AM
.....I'd suggest better cycling on the airbags anyway; smoother the drop, smoother the ride.....

Its not actually the pressure and the slamming that is the problem. Its more the twisting of the car and body when the car is being lifted.

The CRX can actually lift a rear wheel almost 2 coke cans off the ground.

I suggested to him yesterday that he might be better going for some chasis strenthening and a half cage to reduce the body twist. Connecting the cage to the roof and everything so the car stays square even when a wheel is off the ground.

AVPCRX
10-10-2006, 10:51 AM
CDUCTV is the only one i know of in aust that did the glass roof conversion.

if you can get a hold of a wreck with a straight roof youd be set

XCESIV
10-10-2006, 10:56 AM
straight roof ????
i wouldnt think there would be many bent glass roofs

Bayani
07-11-2006, 01:54 AM
LOL =p
You know what he meant!

But good suggestion.
Do you find that the chassis twists considerably when you have one wheel up?

Possibly don't use glass, lexan, perhaps?

i_own_you
07-11-2006, 02:05 AM
oh god i wouldnt dare that touch with a 100ft pole.

for practicallity, just think of all the safety issues in regard to this conversion. i really dont think it could even be engineered IMO.

and bayani.. LOL

XCESIV
07-11-2006, 10:39 AM
We were thinking of getting the glass roof conversion and then swapping the glass for lexen. We beleive It would be alot easier to do this that making a custom roof. He is looking at body and chasis strenth to reduce chasis twist

ITEAZR
08-11-2006, 04:03 PM
dude that is nuts i wanted to do that to my crx... let me no how u go broo, i might do it aswell

XCESIV
08-11-2006, 06:52 PM
ITEAZR - We saw your car at autosalon on the weekend. Made SHOB4G want his car on the road even more. Its been too long/

chunky
08-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Coooooooooooooooooooooooooooool~!!!!!!!! :d

ITEAZR
09-11-2006, 04:09 PM
ITEAZR - We saw your car at autosalon on the weekend. Made SHOB4G want his car on the road even more. Its been too long/

yeah that was me, lol i think next autosalon there might be 2 crx's there ;) .... hopefully mine is fully finished... airbrushed, slammed, massive system, and a few other little suprises...