PDA

View Full Version : car wont start after stalling

its.not.ali
08-10-2006, 01:47 AM
hey guys

i dunno if anyone has this problem but wen i stall it (i stalled reversing :thumbdwn: ) the car doesnt wanna start straight away... it keeps cranking but sounds like no spark or no fuel or asif an imobiser is there.. but i dont have one lol

it starts after about 20 seconds randomly... does anyone know wat this is from?

Spunkymonkey
08-10-2006, 08:43 AM
have you done basic checks, like check battery, spark plug. You have half answered your question above. Think you should get a mechanic to check it out for you.

JasonGilholme
08-10-2006, 08:49 AM
When you stalled the car did you try starting it again straight away??

Are you having troubles starting it everything now?? Or just the single start after you stall it?

Maybe you need to take the key out completely and let the car do its pre-start checks, just so it know exactly where the positions of everything are.

Not sure if it would help but you never know.

its.not.ali
08-10-2006, 12:13 PM
im thinkng the same with teh prestart checks too...

the car will start everytime... no problems with battery sparks or anything... it just sounds like the ecu wont let it start STRAIGHT away after stalling!

if i stall in traffic, i dont think i got time to wait lol

dsp26
08-10-2006, 01:23 PM
check for fuel = pull a plug out and crank the car ans emll for traces of fuel in each cyl.

check for spark = connect a plug straight to the distributor ignition lead, do you get spark?

its.not.ali
08-10-2006, 01:27 PM
guys... it only happens wen i stall!!! the car turns on!

by the time i get out n check these things, the car will start...

plz read the problem!! lol the car DOES start.. just doesnt like to start after i stall it

Felix
08-10-2006, 01:35 PM
learn to drive a manual, problem solved.

[HIREVZ]
08-10-2006, 01:56 PM

lol owned

vtec_jet
08-10-2006, 02:43 PM
if you dont have anything constructive to say . .please keep it to yourself . .

you've just had a service yeh? so your spark plugs and all have changed . . but i suggest you check them anyway . . knowing ur luk

ECU-MAN
08-10-2006, 08:13 PM
could be the ICM in the distributor.

JasonGilholme
08-10-2006, 08:18 PM
When ya stall man, just take ya time. Theres no point straining your car just because the dude behind you looks impatient.

Also, when you're driving don't go out of your way to make other people happy if its gonna make you stall/root ya car. Drive your own drive, don't let others bully you round. You've got a place on the road too. :thumbsup:

Also, don't worry about what some of the keyboard bandits say on this forum. Chances are they drive auto's. :P

Jase

proton
08-10-2006, 09:22 PM
I've had this problem too, happened to me at petrol stations when I just couldn't start again after turning it off or after stalling. Sounds like the fuel just isn't getting through to the engine. What I did for those panic situations was to step on the accelerator when starting like when starting those older vehicles. It helped the short term problem.

I think it has something to do with the battery coz once I got a new batt. the problems went away. I too suspected it was my immobiliser coz I've got one but since you don't, we can take that out of the equation.

JasonGilholme
08-10-2006, 09:28 PM
Just thinkin, maybe when you stall the car theres excess un burnt fuel in the chamber which could be flooding the engine?

Maybe. Dunno. Probably wrong. :P

lilwilliam
08-10-2006, 09:28 PM
do u have a immoboliser..? check if its wired to ur fuel pump it happend to me before i got my engine conversion. they took the wire out my cars all fine now :thumbsup:

its.not.ali
09-10-2006, 08:17 AM
wheres the pump and what wire am i looking for?

thanks for the suggestsions guys, my first thoughts were the dizzy get too hot or something and doesnt like to fire up too quickly.

as for stalling in traffic, only happened once. ii love p utting the good old finger o ut the sunroof so i dont mind that :P but shits me wen im stuck parking trying to turn the car on.

string
09-10-2006, 07:45 PM
Sounds like main fuel relay, can't believe it hasn't been mentioned already.

When you stall, turn the key back to ACC, then back to ON. You should hear the MFR click ON for a few seconds, then click again OFF (the second click will be in time with you CEL (check engine like) going off. If it doesn't, it's the problem. Make sure you wait for this time before trying to start it so you can tell if the MFR is the problem or not.

Take it out and re-solder it; There is absolutely no reason to buy a new one from the dealer for $100. Worst case you have to make a new one entirely, which will cost you < $10 in parts from jaycar.

its.not.ali
09-10-2006, 07:49 PM
no1s meantioned it coz more ppl are worried bout lookn cool!

can you explain how to check if its the relay or not again, i got lost :(

dynosaur
09-10-2006, 09:57 PM
have u check ur spark plug leads yet ?

plz check... :)

Good luck..

JasonGilholme
09-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Its not a problem with startin the car everytime guys. He's only havin trouble after he's stalled it.

Everything that has been mentioned would effect starting the car everytime.

its.not.ali
09-10-2006, 10:17 PM
hahahha thank u jason!!!

ive sed it twice.. maybe u can push the msg accross

JasonGilholme
09-10-2006, 10:35 PM
I'd be goin with the startup procedure man. If she starts up everytime with no problems then i guess that'd be it.

string
10-10-2006, 06:08 PM
Ok the main fuel relay works like this.

When you turn the key to ON, and the engine is not rotating, you'll see the oil light and CEL (check engine light). As you turn it to ON, you'll hear a relay CLICK. A few seconds later, your CEL will turn OFF. When it does this, be sure to be listening for the same relay to give a second CLICK. The sound will be from about where your right knee sits. This is the relay which is connected to your fuel pump. It runs for a few seconds to build pressure in the fuel rail so you can start. When you hear it click this second time, your good to start the car as normal.

Do this EVERY time you start the car, be it the first time, or after a stall.

If you don't hear the second click, your car won't start, and you'll know it's the fuel relay.

Make sure you do it EVERY time so you can single it out.

If after you stall it DOES CLICK, and DOESN'T start, then come back here and start looking at everyone else's answers :)

CRXer
10-10-2006, 06:31 PM
Sounds like main fuel relay, can't believe it hasn't been mentioned already.

:thumbsup:

Doesnt necessarily affect everytime u start the car either.gets hot,contacts start sticking,etc.

Prob easier to listen for the fuel pump operating for the 2 secs,the click is a little hard to hear amongst the keys jingling,alarm relays etc.Its that little motor noise u hear from the fuel tank area, everytime u turn on the ignition.

bumography
11-10-2006, 07:56 AM
I've had a few of these problems, once driving to the petrol station, but it turned out that my battery only had enough juice to start it once, and the drive to the petrol station was short so it didnt charge the battery.

Had similar problems when my clutch was worn, and it all fixed itself after i replaced the clutch.

Also had similar problems when my dizzy was dying, fixed when i replaced the dizzy.

So it could be any of those maybe.
:

its.not.ali
11-10-2006, 09:14 AM
sounds like you had a few problems lol

my batts okay, dizzies been replaced.. clutch seems fine

i got my hear onto the fuel relay, just gotta see if it turns on wen i stall it lol

JasonGilholme
11-10-2006, 09:42 AM
Ok the main fuel relay works like this.

When you turn the key to ON, and the engine is not rotating, you'll see the oil light and CEL (check engine light). As you turn it to ON, you'll hear a relay CLICK. A few seconds later, your CEL will turn OFF. When it does this, be sure to be listening for the same relay to give a second CLICK. The sound will be from about where your right knee sits. This is the relay which is connected to your fuel pump. It runs for a few seconds to build pressure in the fuel rail so you can start. When you hear it click this second time, your good to start the car as normal.

Do this EVERY time you start the car, be it the first time, or after a stall.

If you don't hear the second click, your car won't start, and you'll know it's the fuel relay.

Make sure you do it EVERY time so you can single it out.

If after you stall it DOES CLICK, and DOESN'T start, then come back here and start looking at everyone else's answers :)

This is your answer man. :thumbsup:

[RSX 03]
11-10-2006, 07:19 PM

hahaha agreed :thumbsup:

Mystic_Integra
13-10-2006, 10:46 AM
im havin the similar problem...:(
my car just wont start lik it could b a starter-motor problem? dont no?
but thanks 4 the info on the MFR, coz i was just gona buy a new just incased:) but i hear it turnn on then turn off,with the engine lite turnin off 2..but

my question is into the fuel pump....
wer abouts is the sound u hear for that, to make sure its turn on?:confused:
wer bout is the fuel pump located aswell?:confused:
and is the way 2 tell if its needs replacin?:confused:

thanks and info would b great!:thumbsup:

oh yeah
i hav a DA9, 1991 teg:p

CRXer
13-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Fuel pump is in your fuel tank.

Its the electric motor sound u hear when u first turn on the ignition from the rear of the car.

If u cant hear,get someone to turn on ignition for u while u listen under the back of your car,u will hear it better,if its workin of course.

spardikis
14-10-2006, 11:41 AM
ive had similar problems... if i stall, especially when cold, it will take a while to start and idle really low untill i give it a good rev - my opinion is oil in the bore or excess fuel.
deffinatly not a consistant problem for me either it only happens when its cold and i stall.
and this is in a hybrid vtec b18c motor as well....

its.not.ali
14-10-2006, 01:44 PM
thats sounds like my problem :( sometimes it wont turn on, sometimesit will

Mystic_Integra
16-10-2006, 12:40 AM
thats sounds like my problem :( sometimes it wont turn on, sometimesit will

but is this in the morin..lik the first time u turn ur car on in the day,well morin? coz mine is...and for the rest of the day, its fine....:eek:

i dont stall so i dnt no if my car wont turn bak on???, :angel:
it kind of different frm the threads topic..but similar:p

do u hav a cai and pod? coz ive notice this only started happin since ive put it on..:confused: :confused:

JasonGilholme
16-10-2006, 07:49 AM
Mystic_Intregra: Did you reset your ECU after you installed the pod filter? Also, if its an oil based filter, aparently it can effect your O2 sensor over time. :thumbsup:

its.not.ali
16-10-2006, 08:23 AM
ive gotta pod filter but its not oil based :S

i havnt stalled since posting the topic and im not keen on trying to stall to see if it still happens lol

i thought it may be a common problem

Mystic_Integra
16-10-2006, 01:30 PM
Mystic_Intregra: Did you reset your ECU after you installed the pod filter? Also, if its an oil based filter, aparently it can effect your O2 sensor over time. :thumbsup:

oil based filter....geez..didnt no there was such a thing..lol:o
how do u tell?:confused:
hold up i'll read the box the filter came in;) ...lol

yeah..the box says its a oil cotton based filter..its say's it prevents water and dust...

so wat should i do? get a diff type of pod filter? not a oil based one?

TJsol
29-10-2007, 12:29 PM
did any1 find a solution to this? Iv got this problem as well..

quenjose
29-10-2007, 12:51 PM
I used to have the same problem in my old GSI.

On the rare occasion that the car stalls, and you try to restart the car immediately, it refuses to start. And it wont until you hear the fuel pump prime itself again before it will actually start up. (this might take about 3 or 4 cranks, or a single long 10 sec wait b4 u hear the pump prime again.)

And when it does start eventually, you can smell that the exhaust is really rich... so i assume that the cylinders were probably flooded with fuel.

I looked up the Honda manual... theres was actually a reference to this problem in troubleshooting. Basically says if you stall the car, and it doesnt start up again immediately, that you should hold the gas pedal down about halfway, and trying cranking while holding the pedal there. When it starts, lift off the pedal gradually.

If it still doesnt start, hold the gas pedal all the way down, and try the same method.

It has worked for me. (hope it works for u)

But its probably a common problem somewhere thats causing the flooding in the first place. But i couldnt find anything wrong with the car, neither could the mechanic... but thats another story.

TJsol
29-10-2007, 01:08 PM
yea i no tht little trick on starting the car. lol..

but i want to sort the problem out.. its seems to be happening alot more! Even if i dont stall the car. hmmm..

quenjose
29-10-2007, 01:52 PM
I did recall with the gsi that when i did a service though... the spark plugs were fouled, as in the tips looked burnt... and the white ceramic area was browned.
Could have been the timing that was off, too advanced maybe, my friend pointed out...
my dizzy did look like it was angled a few degrees forward.. (to advance i'm guessing)
Noticed that it was like that when i first got the car, and didnt bother to fool around with it coz i didnt know much about it...

We changed the plugs, and to the best of my memory, i dont think it happened again.

TJsol
29-10-2007, 02:32 PM
ok.. wel im gona get my machanic to check it out this w/e. N i might change my sparkies on the w/e to so il check if its the leads are ok as wel..

thanks!

its.not.ali
29-10-2007, 03:55 PM
mine ended up being the Main Relay.. PCMGI or someshti..

thers a DIY on removing and resoldering the contacts.. seemed to have worked for me :)

TJsol
29-10-2007, 08:27 PM
ohh.. so u fink my machnic can do it 4 me? Do u no y this problem happnd?

ECU-MAN
30-10-2007, 08:08 AM
ohh.. so u fink my machnic can do it 4 me? Do u no y this problem happnd?

age of the relay

TJsol
30-10-2007, 11:53 AM
ok.. thankz ECU-MAN. Il try get it sortd out this w/e.

infurNOS
01-11-2007, 05:27 PM

ahah roflcopter