PDA

View Full Version : what is the difference between a JDM crx and a AUDM crx?

dc5ive
08-10-2006, 01:31 PM
howdy my brother just bought a imported crx si
i just want to know what are the differences between a JDM crx and a AUDM crx ? yes ive seach and nothing poped up or i just suck at searching

edit: yes my brothers car has one of them moon roofs
edit: do you guys what some photos ?

Bayani
08-10-2006, 02:02 PM
photos yes; advice: join crxaus.com

STTICH
08-10-2006, 02:04 PM
appearance wise..the front end is different..bumper,bonnet and headlights.

jdm will also hav back seats whereas audm dont.

i believe others can tell u more :)

[HIREVZ]
08-10-2006, 02:08 PM
the turbo

dc5ive
08-10-2006, 02:09 PM
lol the turboz

dc5ive
08-10-2006, 02:10 PM
yeah its got rear seats but leather ?

Andw0o
08-10-2006, 02:27 PM
lol
well JDM were specifically siR, meaning they had Vtec
and they had rear seats, leather or not, if they are leather they could have just bean retrimed?
basically your looking at a ef8

dc5ive
08-10-2006, 02:29 PM
well its non vtec
*shrugs*

SINISTR
08-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Believe you're refering to a gen2 - 87-91 and an Si not a SiR

Aus spec CRX.

D16A8
no rear seat
air con
optional sunroof

JDM spec CRX

ZC or carby 1.6 (yes there are some out there)
rear seat
optional glass roof
optional abs
optional climate control

JDM spec SiR CRX

B16A
leather seats
rear seats
glass roof
climate control
abs

i think thats pretty much it... there are other little differences but its specific to a car - eg: one could get a sunroof but will be carby or won't have climate control etc. Seems like the options bucket was random at the factory and some cars got optional bits others didn't.

dc5ive
08-10-2006, 03:42 PM
Believe you're refering to a gen2 - 87-91 and an Si not a

JDM spec CRX

ZC or carby 1.6 (yes there are some out there)
rear seat
optional glass roof
optional abs
optional climate control

i think thats pretty much it... there are other little differences but its specific to a car - eg: one could get a sunroof but will be carby or won't have climate control etc. Seems like the options bucket was random at the factory and some cars got optional bits others didn't.

my brothers one has

rear seat
optional glass roof
optional abs
optional climate control

dc5ive
08-10-2006, 03:43 PM
but whats the difference visually? i.e bonnet and front bar as STTICH said

STTICH
08-10-2006, 04:24 PM
pics arent the greatest.. but just trying to find u a best angle to illustrate the difference.

audm

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/2605/mg5546ow9.jpg

jdm

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/9951/dsc52854rrtc1.jpg

quite a distinct difference for the bumpers. as for the bonnet, the center bit of audm curves inward/down whereas jdm curves out/up. also, the headlights for jdm is slightly longer than audm. hope this helps. :)

dc5ive
08-10-2006, 05:35 PM
*shrugs*

pics
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/barcode_n14/IMGP0288Small.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/barcode_n14/IMGP0287Small.jpg

dc5ive
08-10-2006, 05:58 PM
as you can clearly see the bonnet is different from the audm and the jdm ones i donno wtf my brother has lol

crxtasy
08-10-2006, 06:14 PM
There are no differences between the 88-89 jdm and audm front ends, only the 90-91 jdm si and si-R got the facelift front end with the different bonnet, headlights/parkers and front bar with wrap around indicators. You have a 88-89 jdm si.

dc5ive
08-10-2006, 06:16 PM
is it possable to get clear front indecators ?

crxtasy
08-10-2006, 06:19 PM
STTICH the audm pic you posted is actually a usdm crx.

crxtasy
08-10-2006, 06:25 PM
Yes clear indicators are available and quite easy to find as they are the same as audm.

STTICH
08-10-2006, 06:32 PM

indeed.:) i couldnt find any good & clear angle of actual audm front to illustrate the difference. hence posted usdm as they both have the same front and bonnet shape.

There are no differences between the 88-89 jdm and audm front ends, only the 90-91 jdm si and si-R got the facelift front end with the different bonnet, headlights/parkers and front bar with wrap around indicators. You have a 88-89 jdm si.

this definately clears it up :thumbsup:

my knowledge to this is very limited :)

SINISTR
09-10-2006, 12:31 AM

USDM CRX with an SiR front end 'facelift' as the guys in the US call them.

DC5ive - your bro has a JDM Si. Same car as Australian delivered CRX but has the options you mentioned - nothing else.

if it had a front end like the pic STTICH posted it would be an SiR but then it would have to have a B16A vtec engine.

here is what my Aus spec CRX looked like 'stock'... being a 91 only diff outside was the clear longer front indicator lights and tail lights were diff. otherwise its all thesame.

http://www.redpepperracing.com/gallery/d/91438-2/aay.jpg

j3z3z
09-10-2006, 02:41 AM
what is the vin number well the chassis number model? ed9 was 87-89, ef7 89-91? Japanese si ef7 has the same bonet as the SiR ef8. Also if it is the japanese ef7 the indicator will wrap around the front bar the head lights will be single piece and plastic (if stock) the rear lights will have a tint around the edge and will have bigger reverse lights, it will be heavier than the ed9 model most commonly found in aus as the ef series had more structural reinforcement (safety regulations per new chasis) also the ef series was slightly longer in the chasis rail and wheel base by 15mm. Rear seats were an option in japan and most japanese models you will find the rear seat. If not you will just find the same parcel shelf as found in the australian models. Also the interior your dash in an ed9 is fairly square whilst in an ef7/8 it is round.

by the pictures provided you have an ed

edit: one thing i am unsure of tho is if the ef7s brakes are as big as the brakes on an ef8, as the ef8s brakes f & r are both rougly 1.5-2inches bigger in diameter than the ed9s f & r

venus
09-10-2006, 07:15 AM
some au gen2 crx's had rear seat put in at the dealerships as an option as well.

bradb16a
12-10-2006, 11:42 PM
they never put rear set in th AUS crx as an option can not get it on honda net.....

venus
13-10-2006, 07:15 AM
they never put rear set in th AUS crx as an option can not get it on honda net.....

the apprentices at scotts honda were putting them in post sales. maybe thery were special order or after market but they were definitly put in some of them.

Bayani
15-10-2006, 01:34 AM
Mines au chassis/engine with rear seats; strange though however, because the bonnet has information in japanese

venus
15-10-2006, 07:43 AM
Mines au chassis/engine with rear seats; strange though however, because the bonnet has information in japanese

do you have the original log book? if so what dealership was it originally sold from? im just wondering if only a select few put seat in or if all dealerships did.

whtteg
15-10-2006, 09:29 AM
my hubby was installing back seats in them as an apprentice, hes pretty sure they were an after sales install, but they were installed if the buyer wanted them.

Setanta
16-10-2006, 01:09 AM
the apprentices at scotts honda were putting them in post sales. maybe thery were special order or after market but they were definitly put in some of them.

Well they'd better watch their step as the rear seats are not ADR approved and could get Scotts into a world of trouble if it ever went to litigation after an accident. They were NEVER offered as an Au option - people might have installed them is it.

Perhaps the least said the better?

Bayani
16-10-2006, 04:07 AM
Bought mine only a 10m ago;
I have the seats installed; but no Seatbelts; which leads me to believe they were installed from an Import.

venus
16-10-2006, 07:07 AM
Well they'd better watch their step as the rear seats are not ADR approved and could get Scotts into a world of trouble if it ever went to litigation after an accident. They were NEVER offered as an Au option - people might have installed them is it.

Perhaps the least said the better?

i dont think the seat was designed for passengers i dont remember anything being said about seatbelts being fitted. it was more a comfy spot for the owners handbag lol all look but not for use or practicality, otherwise they must have had each individual car engineered. ;) this was back in 88 not current.

Bayani
16-10-2006, 12:47 PM
The Seat takes passengers, but AUDM didn't come with them ;) So they are all registered as 2 Seaters; Unless you have all the fitment for it to be engineered to accomodate another 2 Passengers.
The Seats have Slots that allow Seatbelts to be passed through; and the rear quater panels allow for it too.

Oct. '90

rexi3
31-10-2006, 09:10 PM
another way to tell is to check the stamp on the engine block or your registration papers for your vin number.

If it say ZC then more then likely it is a Japanese import.

No aus spec crx's came out with back seats.

Also as for the bonnet having japanese writing on it may mean that the original bonnet has been replaced, or it may actually be an import. Best way again is to check the stamp on the engine block.

SiR Feoc
05-11-2006, 11:16 PM
I have an EF8, took it through regency to get it complianced about 6 months ago and was told the back seat must come out unless the lap seat belts were removed and new seat belts were anchored to come over shoulder (similar to front belts). This also required engineers report.

i_own_you
06-11-2006, 02:18 AM
IMO,

backseat in a gen2 CRX is just a wank factor. As i have said before its totally a waste of money.

and its next to impossible to fit people in there.

rexi3
06-11-2006, 09:56 PM
I still have lap belts in mine but i think it depends who u go through. I think the place i got my through were a lil dodgey but i like the lap belts a lot better.. I took the back seat out and everything else in the back anyway. Dont need a back seat around the track..

Setanta
09-11-2006, 06:16 AM
sigh... there were so many varients of the JDM, you can't just say the bonnet was different, because for the JDM Si, the bonnet was the same as were the lights and the SOHC CRX ran one similar to the Aussie ED6s and the SiR was convex (as you pointed out) with different headlights.

Easiest way to sum it up: Assume that Honda Australia didn't get the best for the market (gee, there's a surprise). We got the middle of the range option but without all the nice JDM goodies. Unlike the ED6, where we got the bottom of the range (XT25 spec) but without most of the goodies.

checkers
26-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Way to hijack the thread lol.

Hey dcFive looks like your bro has exactly the same jdm car as mine. Has exact same bonnet & glass roof option too. Nice crx btw.
Mine same as Bayani's the back seat seatbelts were removed I think when it was complianced is my guess.