PDA

View Full Version : Engine swap: 2005 GLi

Spicey
08-10-2006, 09:14 PM
Hey guys, just after some info on engine swaps into a 2005 GLi (with the D17) I would like to put a later model Vtec like a K20, K24.

Has anyone locally done the swap and where did you get the engine mounts and required parts from!?

Is there any difference in blocks/mounting points between D16's and D17's??? E.g: would a D16 fitting kit work in my D17 engine bay???

I know about 7thgencivic.com and how many people have dont it over there but I was after some local knowledge.

Anyways, thanks for reading!

bigjo5
08-10-2006, 09:45 PM
now and days .. to do a k series engine swap u mostlikely would be looking at a hasport brand engine mount.. they cost like $1000+, and sine ur civic is a 2005 model i think u cant put k20 cause the engine is older then 2005 but i think u might be able to put the type s k20's in.. and euro k24 . i think u gotta get the engine mounts shipped over from america.

zco
09-10-2006, 02:04 AM
jsut a question with that rule of
-->not putting a older motor into your car that is of higher year model
i've heard this many times before. but say, you build a completely new motor. is that still allowed ? and if not? how do they know ?
cheers
(sorry to hijack)

rhk
09-10-2006, 02:27 PM
hey, i used to own an 05 7th gen and had the same thoughts, but after visiting 7thgencivic.com, i found out that for the money you pay doing a k20 engine conversion (yes there are a lot of them done but mostly in america, again have a look up the swaps section at 7th gen) it is a much better option buying a turbo kit. a company called dezod (http://www.dezod.com/) sells a kit that is used quite a bit for 3200 us$:

Dezod Spec'd Garrett/SPA T3/T4 Turbo
Dezod Motorsports Custom SS Log Style Manifold
Dezod True Custom 2.5" Downpipe**
TiAL Billet BOV
TiAL 38mm Wastegate w/ 5.88 PSI Spring (.4 BAR Spring)
Bar & Plate Intercooler Core w/ Custom end tanks
Stainless Steel Charge Piping-Custom Made
Oil Lines
Necessary fittings, hoses, gaskets & clamps
Iridium Spark Plugs

that makes "164whp & 142wtq on 5 PSI" as quoted by them

which is a hell of a lot of power increase + pretty good bang for buck (more so i think than the k20 which you need as said before mounts/transmission/engine + labour and if you want a k24 head then that too and a lot of dyno tuning that will cost quite a bit)

but at the end of the day i suppose it all comes down to reliability, having said that, im not saying sticking dezods kit will blow your motor as soon as you put it on, but it will be less reliable than a k series (so long as the engine isnt thrashed) .

so cliff notes:

if you want a cheaper alternative that isnt as reliable as a k 20 but is good for 80% increase than stock power - turbo

if you want a more expensive uniquer (in a 7th gen) reliable engine - kseries

also i would like to note that a project like this is going to take up quite a bit of money (dependant on you but just guessing id say 7500-10000+) if all you want is a faster car, then sell the 7th gen and buy a dc2r or something, much more easier.

Spicey
09-10-2006, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the info rhk!!! exactly what I wanted to hear. I am a mechanic by trade so labour isn't an issue.

I really cant decide what to do!? Im not after an extremely quick car (I have an 04 CBR600RR for going fast;) ) but I just want something different. At the moment my 7th Gen has the oem bodykit, colour coded interior bits, Tein springs and 17" BSA's (soon to be 19" Gestalt GV2's hopefully) I was just thinking about putting a big cruiser type engine in it, like a K24. Forced induction would be alright but I would be edging more toward a Supercharger rather than a turbo, mainly to make it stand out more. Has anyone ever supercharged a single cammer???

Thanks again for the info rhk, I appreciate it man!

rhk
09-10-2006, 03:33 PM
thats ok glad i could help, however as far as sc kits are concerend, i dont think that they have much on offer for 7th gens or the d17s as yet. as far as the k24 it would definately be cool and here is a diy http://www.xproductionz.com/k20swap/k20swap.html
which is excellent
anyway good luck :thumbsup:

edit - i know it says for a k20 but i forgot to post this :

**also note that the same thing applies to people who do the k24 swap. Just remember that if you use a k24 that the tranny side mount is different from the k20 tranny mount. If you already have a k20 in your car and wish to use a k24. Hasport and i think Hybrid can supply only the k24 tranny mount so that way it sits the motor lower so it can fit in our cars

RMN15N
09-10-2006, 03:35 PM
there probably plenty of people who supercharge, yes there pretty good but turbo would stand out more than a supercharged car ,
if power is not an issue and u still want to do a conversion i suggest you do a k24 becauses its pretty rare still for people to throw those kind of engines in civics etc
it would still cost you abit but if u can do it urself n just pay for the parts you need then do it, itd be well worth the labour

Spicey
09-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Yeah, I was thinking the K24 would be the go as most coversions done are K20's and the extra torque offered by the K24 would be good for a cruiser! The K24's should be heaps easier to come by too coming from a Euro and 6 speed box:p

BlitZ
09-10-2006, 10:20 PM
jsut a question with that rule of
-->not putting a older motor into your car that is of higher year model
i've heard this many times before. but say, you build a completely new motor. is that still allowed ? and if not? how do they know ?
cheers
(sorry to hijack)

research.. half the ozhonda clowns have it all Wrong..

Ill explain it to you next time..

Actually ill make a thread aahhah...