PDA

View Full Version : Do ALL new car motors 'ping'????

fab4272
09-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Hi there,

Recently purchased a 2006 Civic VTi. Ever since I've had it, i;ve noticed a pinging sound from the motor, usually under load either under hard acceleration or going up a hill.

My father in laws new Toyota RAV 4 does exactly the same thing.

I changed the fuel to a higher octane, and 95% of it went away.

Honda mechanics have noticed the ping, but basically I've been told that they can't adjust the timing, as its all set these days and to drive with the higher octance fuel.

Is it really a ping or with these v-tec motors is it someting else?

Thanks

BlitZ
09-10-2006, 12:51 PM
i dont think a std motor should ever ping..
sounds very odd.. u sure tis a pping?

ProECU
09-10-2006, 02:23 PM
i got news for you...

its not a new motor, honda run these motors in for 1000kms flat stick.

it's not pinging, and if it is, stop being a tight ass and use the fuel intended by the manufacturer and stop trying to save $1 each time you refuel.

fatboyz39
09-10-2006, 04:47 PM
Use the recommend fuel!....

Tigger
09-10-2006, 08:25 PM
The recommended fuel is 91 RON and above.
It shouldnt be pinging... mine certainly doesnt!

What sort of ping?

CUL8R
09-10-2006, 08:34 PM
just run higher octane fuel, is a couple more cents a L not worth the expense of an engine rebuild?

BlitZ
09-10-2006, 08:40 PM
i got news for you...

it's not pinging, and if it is, stop being a tight ass and use the fuel intended by the manufacturer and stop trying to save $1 each time you refuel.

hey pro-ecu..

I read someone mentioned what u said.. but there doesnt seem to be any proof backing that honda runs the motors in..

I know yahmaha and i think lambo or ferrari do it...

I i havent heard any confirmation that honda do it..

BTW - not doubting you.. Im just curious..

aaronng
09-10-2006, 09:17 PM
Anyway, the 2006 VTi shouldn't ping using 91 RON. Tell your dealer the problem. If they say it is normal, get them to print it on the service report that they heard it but it is no problem, so that in the future if anything does happen, you have something to hold against them for not fixing the problem..

BTW, 98 premium for me as it gives slightly better mileage and offsets the 10 cent price premium

muhhan
10-10-2006, 12:19 PM
aaronng, I noticed you've mentioned a 10c price premium on PULP a few times. Is that the going rate in Sydney? It's only 6c here in Adelaide. Either way you know the government is getting about 50% of it.

I was under the impression that cars that aren't designed to be used with the higher octance fuel can't make full use of its potential because the ECU isn't able to make the necessary adjustments (advancing timing, i would guess). Or are people using it for cleaner combustion and lower emissions, rather than more power?

Very strange that a new engine would 'ping' as in detonate. Whether they run the engine in or nor I think if you buy a car brand new from the dealer you should expect that this sort of thing wouldn't occur.

sdewyz
10-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Anyway, the 2006 VTi shouldn't ping using 91 RON. Tell your dealer the problem. If they say it is normal, get them to print it on the service report that they heard it but it is no problem, so that in the future if anything does happen, you have something to hold against them for not fixing the problem..

BTW, 98 premium for me as it gives slightly better mileage and offsets the 10 cent price premium

hey i work at a honda dealership and i highly recommend getting it on paper if the dealership does say its a common problem just for the long run to cover ur arse

fab4272
10-10-2006, 03:37 PM
i got news for you...

Thanks mate. I ask a genuine question and get called a tight arse on the web by you? Who are you idiot troglodyte to call me that? My god, you are none other than PROECU........

By the way, the car manual states the motor is DESIGNED to run on 91 RON fuel.......get your facts right next time. I'll read it for you if you can't.

fab4272
10-10-2006, 03:39 PM
hey i work at a honda dealership and i highly recommend getting it on paper if the dealership does say its a common problem just for the long run to cover ur arse

Hi there,

Already done that. It was picked up on the 1st service and its been noted on the service report by the mechanics.

Thanks for the constructive reply.

[[d a n n y]]
10-10-2006, 03:39 PM
aaronng, I noticed you've mentioned a 10c price premium on PULP a few times. Is that the going rate in Sydney? It's only 6c here in Adelaide. Either way you know the government is getting about 50% of it.

I was under the impression that cars that aren't designed to be used with the higher octance fuel can't make full use of its potential because the ECU isn't able to make the necessary adjustments (advancing timing, i would guess). Or are people using it for cleaner combustion and lower emissions, rather than more power?

Very strange that a new engine would 'ping' as in detonate. Whether they run the engine in or nor I think if you buy a car brand new from the dealer you should expect that this sort of thing wouldn't occur.

10cs is for 98 octance 6c is for the 96 ocatane

fab4272
10-10-2006, 03:42 PM
just run higher octane fuel, is a couple more cents a L not worth the expense of an engine rebuild?

I wouldn't be too worried if the manual stated 95 RON or higher, but it states 91 RON.

the extra money doesn't worry me at all. If I have to i will. but still the fact remains that its designed to run on 91 RON no problem at all.

I'll bring it up with the dealer again.

Thanks

aaronng
10-10-2006, 03:54 PM

Yup, as Danny said, 98 octane.

You won't get any significant performance gains from using 98 in a car specced for 91 octane. But you'll have a buffer of 7 RON points for the times when there is a bad batch of fuel or if the station has done something dodgy to "water-down" the fuel.

I use 98 for the mileage gain.

With regards to pinging, any car that is running too lean for the combination of fuel octane, ignition timings and compression will do that. Doesn't need to be an old engine (although old engines tend to do this because of a blocked fuel filter, blocked injectors or just general gunk somewhere in the fuel system).

muhhan
10-10-2006, 04:15 PM
Thanks for clearing that up danny and aaronng. I thought all PULP was the same octane rating in oz. Well now I know :p

fab, keep us posted on what ends up happening, if anything.

czy_sol87
10-10-2006, 06:43 PM
do u need an oil change?, maybe try a thicker oil

ProECU
10-10-2006, 07:23 PM

I rekon he should buy a Ford

ProECU
10-10-2006, 07:30 PM
Thanks mate. I ask a genuine question and get called a tight arse on the web by you? Who are you idiot troglodyte to call me that? My god, you are none other than PROECU........

By the way, the car manual states the motor is DESIGNED to run on 91 RON fuel.......get your facts right next time. I'll read it for you if you can't.

your welcome, anytime

Limbo
10-10-2006, 08:06 PM

that's not gonna help at most it will make it worse as it will put more load on the engine. On new engines you should use the required oil, 10w30.

czy_sol87
11-10-2006, 06:26 PM
that's not gonna help at most it will make it worse as it will put more load on the engine. On new engines you should use the required oil, 10w30.
hummm...
its a new car i'd say bring it back to the dealership and get them to fix it, a new car shouldnt have problems at all

Weq
20-10-2006, 10:03 AM
My Liberty B4 pinged its ass off.. but hey, thats a subby for u...

krogoth
20-10-2006, 10:22 AM
non of this is rite....

a new car from watever company should sound immaculate for ages, even after a thrashing

i ran my civic, 05model, on 91octane, the recomended fuel, for a few weeks after i got it

and ive been running 98octane ever since, the car still sounds like its brand new, im sitting in 25k kmz

as for the power gain from 98octane, i agree that theoritically there shoodnt be any power gains, but wen i put in a fresh batch of 98, and thrash the car...the difference is massive wen compared to the stale fuel thats left in the tank b4 i refilled

love the 98, but if i wer u, id harass the shit out of the dealer because i dont think this should be happening to a brand new civic...but then again it could be a common problem with the 8th genz, i dont know

as for honda running in their engines b4 they give it to u, thats not true, as i did the running in for my car, and i havent heard of honda doing the runing in for any other models