PDA

View Full Version : will MBQ 61/2 split fit in ek1 (civic 2000) and others Q

Spec_R
09-10-2006, 10:55 PM
just brought a civic and join OH last month, today is my first start off into buying stereo for my civic.

alpine deck 9855r
alpine type R 6x9
MB quart Reference 6 1/2 split
MRD-f540

I installed everything except the split cos waiting for delivery so i was just wondering what is civic 2000(ek1) front speaker size, i've have heard some say 6" and some say 61/2" so which is the right size.

or has anyone fitted MB quart rvf 216 split to their civic ek1 99 to 00?
how did it fit?

Also i would like to ask if anyone had experience with the new alpine amp pdx
how was it like in term of SQ and performance, because of it size im thinking it doesnt dissipate heat very well? but i really like it design so compact and powerful

edited:
can someone provide me with step by step direction on what to remove inside the car to reach the gromet leading to the door? (i wanna run wire for my new split, i can reach the gomet from the door side but from inside is been block)

tRipitaka
09-10-2006, 10:57 PM
these are 6 1/2..

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13092

Spec_R
09-10-2006, 11:00 PM
these are 6 1/2..

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13092
but that is custom install

so what's the official front speaker size for civic year 99 to 2000

pls elaborate, me issit 6" or 6 1/2"??

tRipitaka
09-10-2006, 11:03 PM
but that is custom install

so what's the official front speaker size for civic year 99 to 2000

pls elaborate, me issit 6" or 6 1/2"??

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15653

Spec_R
09-10-2006, 11:08 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15653

there no definate answer some say 6" some say 6 1/2" and one dude even say 5" but i doubt it

so what the official size? is it all the same as ek4 to ek1?

my car is civic 2000 gli (ek1) pls if some know the official size or have fitted a MB Quart RVF 216 split how did it fit?
i nned to know as the speaker is bought today but pending delivery, if it not the size for my car then i can quickly cancel or change for different split.

cheers

tRipitaka
09-10-2006, 11:13 PM
no definite answer ?

in the Ek's its 6" at the front and 6x9 at the back...
i jus recently replaced mine and found out that the fronts are actually 6" and the back is obviously 6x9

stock size at front is 6" and rear is 6x9"....i put pioneer splits on the front, they fit straight in..

i just mesured my standard speakers. 5" cone 6" surround

Sorry

and another link..

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43639

Spec_R
09-10-2006, 11:30 PM
no definite answer ?

and another link..

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43639
cheers mate so official size is 6" , dammit the jap should know that everyone wants 6.5" or most of us do.

but i love the MBQ's, oh well see what i can do to the door to make it fit, i heard many able to fit 6.5 with just major adjustment (cutting plastic)
so i will try to do that with my speaker arrive, dont want the fancy fibreglass tho.

tRipitaka
09-10-2006, 11:36 PM
you also have to factor in the depth of the speaker.. as some speakers (e.g. Alpine Type R's) are deeper than others (e.g. JL)

Fr3aKi3
10-10-2006, 08:43 AM
Have you got a hatch or sedan? Either way it does only fit 6", not too sure about hatches but i've got a sedan with MBQ References (the older RCE216) and I managed to get those in but I had to grind back a little bit of the door trim.

Spec_R
10-10-2006, 01:15 PM
Have you got a hatch or sedan? Either way it does only fit 6", not too sure about hatches but i've got a sedan with MBQ References (the older RCE216) and I managed to get those in but I had to grind back a little bit of the door trim.

excellent, what i wanted to hear, mine is sedan, if you manage to fit your im sure it will fit mine cos a dont think is much different with the circumference of the newer reference.
BTW: where did you place your crossover?, im thinking the boot for mine, did you run new wire? or you used the factory wire

edited:
after the grinding did you manage to put the factory grill back??
would you able to provide me with a pic with your speaker so i can see how you went about doing it?

Spec_R
10-10-2006, 01:17 PM
i can take off door trim and see the gromet but from inside the car is been block off with many obsticle, anyone care to provide step by step direction with what to remove inside the car to able to reach the gromet leading to the door?

cheers

Fr3aKi3
10-10-2006, 01:49 PM
I wanted to keep it as OEM as possible so one before I grinded it back I took note of where the grille actually clips onto and yes even though I did a bit of grinding the grille is still there and it looks as stock as a rock! :D

The grommet that connects to the door is actually a plug and is a bitch to take off! I've seen some ppl run new wiring through it though but they did have to drill the plug to make way for the thicker wiring. I had already pulled apart the interior to run 0awg power cable so I ran new speaker cables as well since the interior was kinda stripped out.

I'll take a couple pics when I get the chance to, I'm still not happy with the way the speaker is mounted though and i'm trying to fix it up but I just can't seem to find any time to work on my car. At the moment the speaker basically acts like an infinite baffle and I want to "seal" it against the door.

i can take off door trim and see the gromet but from inside the car is been block off with many obsticle, anyone care to provide step by step direction with what to remove inside the car to able to reach the gromet leading to the door?
When I did mine, I basically removed the lower dash panels and shoved my hand in to feel around. It's mostly just wiring but there is a bit of give so it's possible to move the cables a bit to get your hand through, the other thing i remember there was some blocks of foam.

edit:I put the crossovers on the floor under the seats, they're pretty dam big and I couldn't find a suitable spot to hide them in the dash so under the seats they went.

Spec_R
10-10-2006, 02:15 PM
in response to above post

hrmm never thought of crossover under the sit, good idea!!!

as for the gromet i just see what i can do

yeah it will be great if you can get me a pic with your speaker off, i would like to see how you grind before i grind mine without making error

JaCe
17-10-2006, 10:45 PM
If it's anything like my 06 Civic, even if the original stock speaker is 6", the size difference between that and 6.5" is marginal and the 6.5" MBQ fit in fine.

Spec_R
18-10-2006, 01:12 PM
i got it to fit, it such a bitch to modify, take me 5 hours to modify for the 6.5 to fit, did some cutting and place a 6mm spacer plus trim the edge of the grill to make it fit, so look real stock but the thing is i will never able to go back to 6inch or if i wanna replace to another 6.5inch.

Spec_R
18-10-2006, 01:14 PM
i also run new wire through the front door for the split, i was gonna make a DIY but it only came to my head when i was half way to complete so i was only able to take 4 pic so i will post it up if it will help other people.

I also made a short DIY explaining how to run the wire but after i post it i dont see it in the DIY section. Does it require admin approvel?

anyway here is the pic

btw can someone show me how to put image into post so it part of the post instead of an attachment?