PDA

View Full Version : Rally

JMO
09-10-2006, 11:44 PM
I have seen a few hot civics at the rally of melbourne in the past, does anyone, or is anyone into rally, both tarmac targa type events and dirt stuff? i would love to get into it and was thinking what would be the best car for the job

roar
10-10-2006, 12:29 AM
theres a chick on this forum who rallys around an ek4 civic...and come on...the best car for the job...umm...let me think

wrx
evo

duh

JMO
11-10-2006, 09:17 PM
not really, wrx and evo would be shit if you are begining, you are better off with a na 2wd so that you are in a easier class i would think, same as hill climbs, and to be honest i wouldn't want to be blasting through the trees in a wrx straight away, give be somting a bit slower :P

roar
12-10-2006, 01:20 AM
oh i thought you were just saying which cars would be the best at rally...

but yer if you are getting into it...go like a corolla ae82 or something you wouldn't mind smashing up

christmas
12-10-2006, 09:34 AM
get a laser TX3, turbo, cheap,4wd all round top car and heaps of parts for them too go to www.fordlaser.com
should find a nice clean one cheap on there. and there is a chick on there who lives in SA who rallys one for the lazy rally team.
good luck

rhk
14-10-2006, 07:22 PM
peugeot 205 gti

around 5k but damn good bang for buck car

make sure you get the eudm head tho

JMO
29-10-2006, 06:24 PM
I think a rolla would be the go after some thought, a 205 would be hot, but i don't know what the parts avail are like for them?

matt
30-10-2006, 03:05 PM
i saw a dc5s, in rally spec driving down the freeway a couple of weeks ago, had full roll cage, massive mud flaps, rally rime etc.
then about a week after that i drove my dc5r about 150m on gravel, and i couldn't think of a worse car to use for rally :p

kat33b
30-10-2006, 07:24 PM
I would be the chick with the civic rally car - with the right tune it goes like a rocket - it you want to run 1 2wd p2 its a good thing:)

JMO
30-10-2006, 09:21 PM
Is FWD 2WD better then RWD 2WD?

d15z1SUX
30-10-2006, 11:04 PM
Is FWD 2WD better then RWD 2WD?

there is a thread dedicated to discussing fwd vs rwd.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54848&page=1

**Ghost**
31-10-2006, 12:01 AM
if u are serious about entering rallying spend... wot... $8000 on a fully race prepped not road registerable lancer evolution 1 or 2. The type of performance u get is about.... 5849850943859034859034% better than $8000 + Ek4

kat33b
31-10-2006, 05:55 AM
if u are serious about entering rallying spend... wot... $8000 on a fully race prepped not road registerable lancer evolution 1 or 2. The type of performance u get is about.... 5849850943859034859034% better than $8000 + Ek4

That would be 2 COMPLETELY different types of rally cars - different in so many ways I don't see how you can even compare the 2???

**Ghost**
31-10-2006, 07:28 PM
That would be 2 COMPLETELY different types of rally cars - different in so many ways I don't see how you can even compare the 2???

they would be 2 diff cars... a fast one and a faster one?

JMO
31-10-2006, 08:17 PM
there is a thread dedicated to discussing fwd vs rwd.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54848&page=1

Rally is differnt to every day driving, It is a Rally thread so i was wondering what would be better to use to build a good really hack, and if you buy a cheap evo 1 or 2 then you have to be in the 4wd class and then up goes the speed and to start off with i don't really want that, now i would love to have kat3b's opinion because unlike a lot of you she has at least had hands on experience

rhk
03-11-2006, 06:32 PM
^ id still take the 205 gti for entry level rally.

cheap car 120ish kw on a 900 kg chassis with ff and a really really really small wheel base makes it quite a easy car to drive on gravel. however parts may be slightly more expensive as replacements will be needed to be shipped from overseas. a friend cracked his sump a while back and he was complaining about the price so i guess it was a tad high lols. but yeah. you should read up on some entry level rally forums and see what types of cars they are using and base judgement on that i suppose.

kat33b
11-11-2006, 08:05 PM
Rally is differnt to every day driving, It is a Rally thread so i was wondering what would be better to use to build a good really hack, and if you buy a cheap evo 1 or 2 then you have to be in the 4wd class and then up goes the speed and to start off with i don't really want that, now i would love to have kat3b's opinion because unlike a lot of you she has at least had hands on experience

For entry level stuff you don't want to run a 4wd - much better to run a rear wheel or front wheel drive and start in say P2 or P3. Must championships at state level have a novice championship which generally exclude 4wd's anyway. To get involved motorkhanas, khanacrosses or club level rallies are a good thing, most states also run 'intro' rallies which are events piggy backed on a 'full rally', the full rally might be 8 stages but the intro part although runs the same stages only runs daylight stages and you can often run a slightly modifed road car - ie, not the expense of having a fully preped rally car.

s1600
11-12-2006, 09:19 PM
I have now got a Honda Rally car as well. Over the years I have tried most types of rally car : Toyota Sprinters, Levins and a Turbo 4wd GTR Mazda and others, More recently I have run a reasonably quick Front Wheel Drive Daihatsu.

Now I have seen the light and moved to a B16a.

We are a team based in Sydney and always welcome 'interested'* people who would like to get involved in Motorsport.

PM me.

*Interested people - are honest and straight forward ones, from any background who appreciate motor racing and not street racing.

rakfint
18-12-2006, 01:00 PM
s1600, would be interested to hear more about what you rally & where, myself and JMO are possibly going to be getting into some form of motorsport soon however we are based in Victoria.

Kat33b, I havn't really heard about these intro rallies, do you know much about what licenses / car specs are required?

Mikeyas
19-12-2006, 05:26 PM
I think fwd would be a better asset in grassroots rally etc then rwd. The ability to swing the tail in gravel would be easy enough with the handbrake in order to get your slide braking. The extra weight over the powered front wheels would also be helpful when perhaps too much sideways angle is achieved. Power down through the fronts to bring the car back into a straight line i think would be a great asset to rally.

Any of you FWD rally people can shed some light on this area of tricks capable by the fwd rally car?

Mikeyas
19-12-2006, 05:59 PM
Also the thread on FWD vs RWD .

That was soo good! entertaining stuff.

especially when the guy said

"lol ur such a donkey, im always laughing at mules like u that are soooo stupid they don have a clue about ANYTHING, don be cut cause uve blown so much money on a piece of shit..."

s1600
20-12-2006, 09:22 AM
I think fwd would be a better asset in grassroots rally etc then rwd. The ability to swing the tail in gravel would be easy enough with the handbrake in order to get your slide braking. The extra weight over the powered front wheels would also be helpful when perhaps too much sideways angle is achieved. Power down through the fronts to bring the car back into a straight line i think would be a great asset to rally.

Any of you FWD rally people can shed some light on this area of tricks capable by the fwd rally car?

Front wheel drive is not that different from a quickly driven rwd. You can set up for a corner a little sideways, by carrying more speed into the corner this generates a little understeer push across the apex (as opposed to a little oversteer push in RWD) and then you come out as straight as you can to generate the speed to the next corner.

With modern front wheel drive cars and suspension set up you can pretty much set the car up for a corner how you choose, straight, understeer oversteer which ever suites your style.

Eg Mirage below - could not find any suff on Civic - but mirage mivec has similar power and weight. Civic has a better rear suspension - Mivecs are pretty limited in travel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQhyXjyX2Yg

Mikeyas
20-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Thank you for the video link... helps clear things up. i can see how fwd vs rwd would not make alot of differance at that power level due to the fact i notciced there was not nearly as much sliding involved as there is in upper classes.

IS this due to the fact speeds are not high enough to require the slide to slow the car down and the brakes are capable for the needs ?

s1600
20-12-2006, 09:13 PM
mmm...interesting question.

In terms of not nearly as much sliding around? Not exactly sure what you mean. Incar offen only shows the inputs from the driver - the cars still have a high degree of power over grip. Meaning the view outside the car is completly different to that inside the car.

Sure in comparison to WRC - but you are then looking at professional drivers at 110% in a car that if they bend it the go and get another - In comparison to smartly driven non professional drivers who have often hand built there own cars. Huge difference in speed, comittment and skills.

Think formula one - compared to formula ford.

The other thing that varies so very much is the road conditions, how these affect tyres, grip, outside air temp etc etc.

The video shown has an interesting surface - the corner speed is reasonably high and the light coloured road surface appears to be quite grippy and fast. So I would say a predicable surface, however the dark coloured surface, puddles and mud etc appears to have no grip - slippery as buggery I would say. So the whole stage would be considered quite techincal on when to push hard and when to button off.

The stage is actually driven very well in the in car.

pantsrally
09-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. We have just finished preparing our EK Civic gravel rally car with B16A power up in Brissy.

Having rallied a Gemini for a couple of years, I would highly recommend cutting your teeth in a low powered car first. This will teach you how to maintain corner speeds, keep momentum and make every last Kw count! And, they're cheap too! You can pick up something like a Gemini for 3K ready to go.

We are running the Civic in the new Pocket Rocket Rally series starting in QLD this year. The series has its offical launch at the Willowbank dirt circuit on Sunday 18th Feb. Anyone interested in rallying is welcome to come along. Check out www.pocketrocketrally.com for more info.