PDA

View Full Version : Certificate of Roadworthiness

civicVI
11-10-2006, 02:03 PM
Just a quick question...... my Euro just mod Coilovers and rims. can those things pass RWC?!
thank anyone help!

fadz
11-10-2006, 03:33 PM
i Dont see why they cant?
as long as ur wheels arent 2 inches over the stock ones, then you should be fine
My wheels, suspension etc Passed with no probz.

czy_sol87
11-10-2006, 06:54 PM
yep, my bros go coilovers and wheels on his crx, just got a RWC and cleared a defect no problems

marte
12-10-2006, 12:03 AM
i Dont see why they cant?
as long as ur wheels arent 2 inches over the stock ones, then you should be fine
My wheels, suspension etc Passed with no probz.
you've got this rule wrong btw

fadz
12-10-2006, 12:10 AM
you've got this rule wrong btw
im sure i remember Its the rim SIZE. Traffic departments allow an increase in 'wheel' diameter of maximum 2 sizes eg; original 14inch - allowed 16inch; original 15 inch - allowed 17inch.;)

marte
12-10-2006, 12:39 AM
im sure i remember Its the rim SIZE. Traffic departments allow an increase in 'wheel' diameter of maximum 2 sizes eg; original 14inch - allowed 16inch; original 15 inch - allowed 17inch.;)
like i said buddy your wront about it lol.

this is taken off vicroads its part of a pdf about modifying cars.
section 8 states :

the width of any replacement rim must not be 25mm greater then the widest wheel specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series.

so you can have larger rims with low profile tyres.

fadz
12-10-2006, 12:44 AM
my engineer didnt tell me about it...
and im sure he would of, my car comes stock 14 inch, iv got to 16 inch, he hasnt told me anything about them being illegal,maybe the Vicroad act Has changed since, but in NSW..i doubt its a problem going 2 inches bigger then stock.

marte
12-10-2006, 12:50 AM
my engineer didnt tell me about it...
and im sure he would of, my car comes stock 14 inch, iv got to 16 inch, he hasnt told me anything about them being illegal,maybe the Vicroad act Has changed since, but in NSW..i doubt its a problem going 2 inches bigger then stock.

lol i never said anything baout ur wheels being illeagal. its not 25mm from stock btw, your allowed to have 25mm on top of the maximum widest wheel specifacations.

My eg is 14's stock, by your rule i should be running 16's. but I'm currently on 17's and there perfectlly legal except to dumb cops.

fadz
12-10-2006, 12:54 AM
lol i never said anything baout ur wheels being illeagal. its not 25mm from stock btw, your allowed to have 25mm on top of the maximum widest wheel specifacations.

My eg is 14's stock, by your rule i should be running 16's. but I'm currently on 17's and there perfectlly legal except to dumb cops.

lol lets just leave the final say to the engineers, end of the day if they want to they will Pass them if not, they will tell you...what the problem being is..so you can fix it up.;)

Zilli
12-10-2006, 08:38 AM
as was said above, the maximum extra rim width and diameter is 1 inch (25mm) above the biggest wheels from the factory for that car.

Your coilovers should be fine, the issue will be the high they are set at

marte
12-10-2006, 10:14 AM
lol lets just leave the final say to the engineers, end of the day if they want to they will Pass them if not, they will tell you...what the problem being is..so you can fix it up.;)
why would you leave the final say to engineers when the last people to inspect your car are ur RTA's?

tRipitaka
12-10-2006, 10:23 AM
why would you leave the final say to engineers when the last people to inspect your car are ur RTA's?
because if the RTA don't allow it, it's the engineer's fault..
so what the engineer's say SHOULD be the right decision

fadz
12-10-2006, 10:35 AM

my cars gone through the process of engineering, so i dont kno what the fuss is all about anyways? i think i would of told you if i had any dilemnas with anything:confused:

fadz
12-10-2006, 10:36 AM
because if the RTA don't allow it, it's the engineer's fault..
so what the engineer's say SHOULD be the right decision

you said it:p

panda[cRx]
12-10-2006, 01:48 PM
marte > fadz

Blue_Steel
12-10-2006, 01:54 PM
Where do u go to get an engineering certificate done? Any places in Sydney?

IS250
12-10-2006, 03:12 PM
like i said buddy your wront about it lol.

this is taken off vicroads its part of a pdf about modifying cars.
section 8 states :

the width of any replacement rim must not be 25mm greater then the widest wheel specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series.

so you can have larger rims with low profile tyres.

This sounds like it's talking about the width of the tread area and not the size of the rim. The rule then goes on the say:

"The overall diameter of any replacement rim and tyre must not be more than 15mm greater than the largest diameter tyre specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series."

Note the use of the word diameter.

If your car came stock with 15s but another model in the lineup has 17s, then you can use that other model as the base size.

tRipitaka
12-10-2006, 03:57 PM
but yeah.. i believe it's the whole rolling diameter rather than the actual rim size.

as having a different rolling diameter will have an effect on the cars performance, not to mention wrong speedo display

aaronng
12-10-2006, 04:59 PM

Rim diameter is meant to be 1 inch up from the largest and 25mm more than the widest size offerred by the manufacturer. It's a grey area because cops don't know about every single the models. When you get to Commodores, stock 16" and HSV's 18/19" rims make it even more confusing. Say you have an Astra that comes with 15" rims. Are you allowed 16" or 19" because the new HSV Astra VXR has 18" stock?

But no matter what combination, the overall diameter of the tyres MUST always be a maximum of 15mm over the stock tyre diameter calculated from the tyre size label that is on your door frame.

AsH_
14-10-2006, 04:28 PM
can a EG have 16" and 17" then???

so incase i get pulled over...

also ive got 205 tyres... at the front they stick out slightly from the guard... is that fine???

coz im goin 4 a RWC soon...

civicVI
14-10-2006, 09:52 PM
can a EG have 16" and 17" then???

so incase i get pulled over...

also ive got 205 tyres... at the front they stick out slightly from the guard... is that fine???

coz im goin 4 a RWC soon...

hi there
Where u get the RWC?! how much?

AsH_
15-10-2006, 06:53 AM
hi there
Where u get the RWC?! how much?

maybe hondaworld... its near my place...

marte
15-10-2006, 06:53 PM
yes u can.