PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof Problems, brakes - VTIR

Unclemick
11-10-2006, 04:47 PM
Hi everyone!

Im new to the forum. I have a 94 Vtir thats done 176 000 kms and I just took it for a service. The only mods I have are a pod filter, different headlights and fog lights and clear side indicators. I havent thought of doing anything else yet (though it NEEDS to be dumped a little).

Anyway I wanted to know if anyone elses sunroof shudders and vibrates when it slides open and how I can fix this? I tried some dry lube and WD 40 but neither works and it still shudders open.

Im also not really happy with the brakes that I have, the car seems to be unable to stop well an quickly even at 60. Is there a pad should be using apart from those run of the mill bendix? Or is there a brake upgrade that Im wont cost an arm and a leg that will allow me to stop safely?

Thanks any input will be appreciated.

Unclemick

1900-hustler
11-10-2006, 04:54 PM
best thing to do is to save up for a good set of brakes.. cos if u cheapen out on them it could cost u more than an arm and a leg...

ferodo are a good set of pads and are available everywhere
i used to use ferodo formula which is good on the street.. cost about 165 from wt i can remember.. also ds2500 which are pretty good pads aswel put more expensive at around 240 for fronts ..

jus pop into a specalist brake store and have a chat to em.. but as i said earlier brakes are prolly the most important thing in the car.. so dont take shortcuts..

cheers

dynosaur
11-10-2006, 06:25 PM
since u r going to do ur servive soon , l will suggest u ask the mechanic check out for u what is going on with ur brake ( as safety issue ) and the sunfoor problem .

as my personal opinion....

sunroof : mayb ur sunroof rubber is too old and start loosing , thats y u will hear the vibrations while u r open . one the solution of this problem is change the whole sunroof rubber seal ( which will cost u abit but not much ) or .... DO NOT open the sunroof anymore... :)

my car window have the same problem with u , but it just happen sometime , but now it is fixed since l change the whole rubber seal...

Brake : 1900-hustler is right, change a better is 1 of the way to improve ur braking power , usually every car manufacturer wont provide a good braking power to every car , the cheapest way to fixed this problem up is ..... flash the brake ( which u can find out in DIY section ), change a better brake pads and c how is going..... :)

my personal suggest is suggest u buy a better brake pads ( even it is a little bit expensive ) , coz brake is the MOST IMPORTANT thing to safe ur life when u r in emergency.....so......it is worth so spend $$ on this part :)

my DC2R also never stop too ( same like u ) , after a few cruises in mountains with my frens , then l start getting realize the BRAKE is VERY VERY IMPORTANT doesnt matter while u r playing with ur frens or normal driving....

Good luck and stay tune.....:)

p/s: if u r in Melb , l can refer u to my fren....... they might help u to solve the above problem...:)

Spunkymonkey
11-10-2006, 09:17 PM
Hi everyone!

Im new to the forum. I have a 94 Vtir thats done 176 000 kms and I just took it for a service. The only mods I have are a pod filter, different headlights and fog lights and clear side indicators. I havent thought of doing anything else yet (though it NEEDS to be dumped a little).

Anyway I wanted to know if anyone elses sunroof shudders and vibrates when it slides open and how I can fix this? I tried some dry lube and WD 40 but neither works and it still shudders open.

Im also not really happy with the brakes that I have, the car seems to be unable to stop well an quickly even at 60. Is there a pad should be using apart from those run of the mill bendix? Or is there a brake upgrade that Im wont cost an arm and a leg that will allow me to stop safely?

Thanks any input will be appreciated.

Unclemick

Sunroof: common problem. Use some grease. I use wd40 a bit as well as the grease....all sorted... just did mine last week. Also try not to drive with the sunroof open if your driving more than 70kms hour as it tends to put pressure on it, and cause the shuddering.

Brakes - definitely upgrade brake pads. Also look at your tyres your using.

Perhaps look at getting some brake pads that are an inbetween spec, such as an EBC green or mid spec Lucas pads or something along those lines.

I'm using ferodo ds2500s which are more pricey but pull up extremely well.

chee
12-10-2006, 09:14 AM
lube up the rails of the sunroof. mine was shuddering when i got it, got out some oil and its all good now.

in regards to brake pads, i can vouch how the standard brakes suck. i wouldnt mind giving the ds2500's a go, but they will eat your rotors (not bad if you can be bothered replacing your rotors). Ideally i would like to legally upgrade the calipers. Suggestions?

misterpoh
13-10-2006, 03:55 PM
Good brakes will save your life one day.
Im used to run EBC greenstuff. Not very exp but does the job. A brand new set of rotors will help or either that, get your ones machined.