PDA

View Full Version : Do I need both SwayBars?

Cold Fusion
11-10-2006, 06:52 PM
just wondering, if i upgrade my sway bars, do i have to get both to see better handeling? or will i see an increase in handeling with just one.

m3ntAL_l2
11-10-2006, 06:57 PM
just get teh rear one

SLOWEGG
11-10-2006, 07:00 PM
Get the rear first, but if you're getting too much oversteer afterwards, upgrade the front asweel.

aaronng
11-10-2006, 08:12 PM
A thicker rear sway bar reduces understeer.
A thicker front sway bar improves steering response but increases understeer.

Start with the rear. But if you then upgrade the front, you will want to go to a thicker rear to compensate.

Cold Fusion
11-10-2006, 11:03 PM
thanks guys :D

RMN15N
14-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Firstly, yes its possible to drive with one changed sway bar like they have already mentioned and 2ndly
even if you put one sway bar in you will notice a diffrence
i have a civic, i put in the front type R sway bar + strut brace and a rear lower tie bar it has increased my handling by 100%
its way more responsive but still tends to body roll at the rear abit, soon to put the rear in and it should be all good.

for a good sussy setup for you to not have any body roll:
front + rear sway bars
front + rear strut braces (under bonnet & in boot)
lower tie bar
cross member bar (not essential but never the less)
coil overs

this setup pretty much makes you track ready

cheers

Mr_will
14-10-2006, 01:49 PM
Get the rear first, but if you're getting too much oversteer afterwards, upgrade the front asweel.

the only oversteer you are going to get is lift-off oversteer, which is easily achievable, in the dry, in a stock car with stock swaybars.

people dont upgrade front swaybars in fwd's to reduce oversteer, they do it for steering response

AsH_
14-10-2006, 01:57 PM
ive got front braces... is it a big difference having a rear installed aswell... ???

Mr_will
14-10-2006, 02:00 PM
ive got front braces... is it a big difference having a rear installed aswell... ???

i assume youre talking about front strut braces, as opposed to front swaybars?

if however youre asking is there a difference between having front, and rear swaybars installed, the answer is without a doubt YES.

upgrading the front swaybar in a fwd before the rear is pretty silly, as you will get more understeer than usual, which is never cool, and your rear will continue its lovely weight transfer dance until the proverbial cows come home.

aaronng
14-10-2006, 02:02 PM
Bigger difference in the rear than in the front.

AsH_
14-10-2006, 02:25 PM
coz im finding wen i tackle a corner my front tyres give out a lil bit...
annoying...

other times if i turn differently i can get my ass end 2 slide out nice and smooth...

aaronng
14-10-2006, 02:32 PM
annoying...

other times if i turn differently i can get my ass end 2 slide out nice and smooth...
Please drive safely. If you are taking corners at that speed to lose grip, then do it on the track.

Mr_will
14-10-2006, 02:34 PM
annoying...

please explain to us all how you get the 'ass end 2 slide out nice and smooth'. if you are talking about lift off oversteer then a front swaybar wont help you much at all

AsH_
14-10-2006, 03:21 PM
wen i take a corner, i tap the brake, gear down, and play with the clutch and hit the throttle and lift off and for some reason my car's rear slides out...

wen its out, i counter-steer and floor the throttle and wen the car straightens up, i dont have any kick-back wen the back gets grip again... its really smooth...

i suppose my suspension setup plays a big part of that 2...
im a noob wen it comes 2 handling...

correct myself earlier:
i have a typeR front strut bar
TODA N1 Adjustable Coilover suspension...

Mr_will
14-10-2006, 03:29 PM
i suppose my suspension setup plays a big part of that 2...

you must have magic suspension...

wen i take a corner, i tap the brake

i hope you mean tap the brake before the corner, as braking whilst cornering unsettles the weight distribution, and at high speed can cause you to lose control

and play with the clutch

if you have geared down, the clutch is in. unless you plan to roll through the corner i assume you will then let the clutch out, meaning that your car will be pulling (fwd), and thus unable to get the rear out

hit the throttle and lift off

umm...you cant get lift off oversteer if you are simultaneously hitting the throttle.

id like to believe you, but the things you say do not make sense

AsH_
14-10-2006, 03:37 PM
i dont know what happened... i didnt expect it to happen...

the rear slid wen i did that...

thats pretty much wat i remember of wat happened...
it was all reflex...

ill try and do it again if i can... ill take the same curve again...

if any1 goes thru The Glen, Melb. its that wide curve behind the muli-level car park...

i used 2 use the handbrake in the wet a lot... at other places... now my handbrake is loose as... car rolls wen im parked on a hill... so i gotta yank the handbrake up a lot now...

CUL8R
14-10-2006, 03:47 PM
oh dude dont try and force it again, ull lose it

it might just be the damper settings on ur coilovers and the quality of the road

RMN15N
14-10-2006, 03:52 PM
i got that type r front etc as i have mentioned earlyeri got everything except the rear type R sway bar and coil over in
i find it sometimes when i hook a corner it used to slide because my rear left wheel was toed slightly out i got the whole control arm replaced and a wheel alignment.. maybe thats ur problem mate. get it checked out
my left turns were spectacular and my right turns were non griped and the rear slid out like a drift car

AsH_
14-10-2006, 03:58 PM
i havent adjusted my suspension is is bought my car...
i was told is was set up for thr rear to slide a lil bit...

i had all my steering arms, basically the whole steering system replaced start of the year...
everything was worn out and i was balding my tyres in under a day of normal driving. .lol
i wore out 8 tyres...
my falkens and my stockiez...

i got hancookz and i dont like em...

dc2dc2dc2
14-10-2006, 04:09 PM
guys if u wanan talk about ur own problems please open up another thread.

thanks.

aaronng
14-10-2006, 04:16 PM
wen i take a corner, i tap the brake, gear down, and play with the clutch
What do you mean tap brake, gear down and play with the clutch? I assume you are downshifting while braking? But I doubt that involves playing with the clutch, whatever that means...

AsH_
14-10-2006, 04:20 PM
i tap the brake b4 i enter the corner is wat i meant...

playing with the clutch i had my foot on the throttle and pushed my clutch in 1/2 and out... dont ask why... i was just seeing wat happenz...

im learning how to control the car better...
it was my first attempt and that was the result... its not the correct way 2 do it but i didnt stack so i was happy...

vtec_jet
14-10-2006, 05:20 PM
soundz like ur in a race ^^

string
14-10-2006, 06:36 PM
Sounds like you're retarded... Doing shit just to see what happens makes people and cars dead.

Go try your stupid shit in a big empty car park, or even better, take a drivers course because you obviously have no idea about the basic controls of a car. I doesn't matter that you'd kill yourself doing dumb things, but taking someone else out in the process when you understeer onto the otherside of the road is hardly a laughing matter.

Vinnie
15-10-2006, 02:07 AM
i tap the brake b4 i enter the corner is wat i meant...

playing with the clutch i had my foot on the throttle and pushed my clutch in 1/2 and out... dont ask why... i was just seeing wat happenz...

im learning how to control the car better...
it was my first attempt and that was the result... its not the correct way 2 do it but i didnt stack so i was happy...

so first u said that u braked mid corner whilst disengaging the gears and somehow the rear end slid out on ur fwd car? now ur saying that u were just pointlessly riding the clutch? in either case wat ur doin isnt smart and i dont think swaybars will really help you if ur driving like that... anyway, as has been mensioned the road surface, suspension (as in if uve got worn components or if its not set up properly), or the condition of ur tires can all effect on handling as well.

RMN15N
18-10-2006, 03:35 AM
sounds like ash has been watching to many initial D movies.. sound like u were trying to heel n toe for a corner eh??
if ur gonna practice that please do it on the track to at least on a straight wit no one around before you slide n kill some random walking his/her dog

jdm_kid
18-10-2006, 01:16 PM
guys if u wanan talk about ur own problems please open up another thread.

thanks.

dont ppl listen ? lol