PDA

View Full Version : Half axles/drive shafts

Javed
26-05-2004, 11:30 AM
Hi all ,

Got bad news today :( While putting my car into my mechanic to fit a new CV Boot he rang me to tell me my driveshaft on the left side was busted and the inners all rooted :( Anyways he is putting in a new driveshaft and all the inners. How much would you guys expect to pay for this job including labour? He is charging me around $300 and i thought it was a bit of a rort. What you guys think?

Thanks,
Javed

Oh my car is a DC2 gsi (DC4)

tinkerbell
26-05-2004, 01:07 PM
diy for $100 a shaft + 3 hours hard work...

Javed
26-05-2004, 03:42 PM
Wouldn't have a clue how to :( Looks like it is too late now anyways. Plus i wouldnt be able to do it just on my jackstands would i? Thought it would be a hoist only job.

SIKCVC
26-05-2004, 05:00 PM
nah no need for a hoist... just need a little know-how and yeah a good few hours, the axel nuts are the hardest thing :P we just gave up and romoved the whole thing :P

ECU-MAN
26-05-2004, 11:03 PM
im pretty sure you can get exchange drive shafts ( or your shafts reconditioned ) for about $180. each

with the right looks it can take 15min to 1 hour each side depending what suprises arise.
its a messy job if your actually replacing the CV joints yourself, so just go to a CVjoint place and get Prices on compleate shafts. they may even install then for you for a resonable price.

what State you in

Javed
26-05-2004, 11:33 PM
im in QLD. my mechanic has already gone ahead (i cant drive the car as its all rooted and on his hoist) so looks like ill have to let him take the money for this 1 :( Thanks for the help guys!

ECU-MAN
26-05-2004, 11:37 PM
DOHH !!!

oh well least ur getting them done.

Javed
27-05-2004, 12:29 AM
YEah :( Am i lucky im still alive? :P I been driving up and down the motorway like nearly everyday, wjhat would happen if it just like collapsed?

BlitZ
19-03-2006, 03:49 AM
diy for $100 a shaft + 3 hours hard work...?

where would i be able to get that?

Is this for a full replacement shaft? or a recon of my old one...

I need a new one as my end snapped off...

thanks,:thumbsup: