PDA

View Full Version : latches for roof really hard to take off

chicken8
12-10-2006, 08:50 PM
just test drove a car just now and the roof clips on either side was insanely hard to unclip

normal?

if its not normal what could it be?

RedRover
12-10-2006, 09:11 PM
That's certainly NOT normal. Without having been there at the time I could only guess at many potential reasons. Is it possible that you tried to open the roof first, then realised it was still clipped, then tried to unclip without first pushing the button forwards to take off the tension?

Were there any rubber (or plastic) sleeves over the hooks?

destrukshn
12-10-2006, 09:12 PM
they should very easy to un-latch the locks.

chicken8
12-10-2006, 09:17 PM
i tried it 3 times

the roof was down all the time

when i take off both latches the i can see outside the car thru the gap between the roof and the windscreen top bit

the 1st 1 is not too hard to take off but the 2nd is near impossible. i need to use the roof handle to pull the roof down to release the latch

its the same story if i undo the passenger side 1st and the drivers side 2nd and vice versa

chicken8
12-10-2006, 09:18 PM
btw RR is s2ki down?

i cant get on so i cant do a search or start a thread

chicken8
12-10-2006, 09:27 PM
WHAT COULD IT BE???

new roof?

accident? and the chassis is bent? roof supports bent?

because the rest of the car is immaculate. and theres no sign of accident (im not a noob and can do your average repair spotting)

ludecrs
12-10-2006, 09:36 PM
Ya, S2Ki is down.

chicken8
12-10-2006, 09:45 PM
Ya, S2Ki is down.

cmon man. give me some info on the roof latches!!

ludecrs
12-10-2006, 09:56 PM
hahah ok ok :p

Its most unusual. I lean into my car from outside and put the roof down sometimes, its that easy to unlatch.

Its such a unique situation, that without inspecting hte car, I can't give you an answer as to possibly why.

One thing though, you should do 1 test drive with the roof up and on the way back with the roof down.

This tests wind noise, clutch buzz sound, gearbox clunking sound, drive visability through possibly faded / horrible rear plastic window etc :)

ludecrs
12-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Come to think of it, I think Vuey had this problem a while ago.

He switched the roof strikers over and never had another drama, iirc.

Was this the white one?

chicken8
12-10-2006, 10:03 PM
yeah it might be the strikers. i guess i need to ask some1 who had their S since new to see if it was really hard to unlatch when new

it just seemed strange to me that the roof will pop up once unlatched. i dun remember seeing that ever on any of my previous test drives or the S2s at work

like it'll bob up just enough for u to see the light from outside coming in between the gap

the car is pretty immac so im just gunna write it off as one of those things. and see how things go

euroasia
12-10-2006, 10:28 PM
does that mean your going to get it regardless?

chicken8
12-10-2006, 10:41 PM
im most likely going to get a 02 s2000 that im looking at on saturday

i think the price i offered him is what he wanted as it was at a dealership and he pretty much said "look, if thats how much you want it for then basically come down, leave a deposit and its yours"

either hes playing games with me or the price i want is what they want too

if that falls thru im going back to get the 1 with the sticky latch

BRU51N
13-10-2006, 12:22 AM
does that mean your going to get it regardless?

hey bro,
u getting an S sooN?

chicken8
13-10-2006, 12:25 AM
hopefully man

i been looking for one for like 8 years

well if nothing shits on my parade again this weekend hopefully yeah

but everytime i say im getting one somethings goes wrong

so im telling you all im NOT getting one.

i'd quit s2ki now if the website was up just to prove how NOT getting one i am.

but yeah hopefully by next week

euroasia
13-10-2006, 03:00 AM
I know the feeling, you don't want to get your hopes up too much too have it all come back crashing and burning. Just weigh it down to 'worst case scenario', and any improvement will mean a good result!

chicken8
13-10-2006, 09:32 AM
im asian. and theres always the idea of "making the guy cry" with terms of price. thats what makes me feel good about the car i bought

and thats the reason why i lost my chance at so many cars just cause i already got to the price i want but i want it a little bit lower just so that i feel that the price really gutted the seller.

like for instance theres this car i was looking at now and prior to inspection i said "without a doubt i'll take it for 42k"

now hes come down to 42k and i dont want it. i want him to go to 40k.

ludecrs
13-10-2006, 09:36 AM
thats really...... stupid.

When I sell my S, I'm gonna tell people to blatantly get back in their car, and **** off back to where they came from.

I don't NEED to sell the car for a rediculously stupid price. The cars service history and general awesome maintaince and quality of the car will sell itself.

The only way your scenario is ever going to win, is if theyare going through a divorce etc.

chicken8
13-10-2006, 09:39 AM
did u not read the 1st part of my post that declared that i was asian?

we bargain prices of bok choi. its like 30c a bunch and we try to bargain it down to 4bunches for $1

RedRover
13-10-2006, 12:11 PM
chicken8, yes S2Ki is down. What you are describing with the roof latches is highly unusual. What the problem might be is impossible to tell without inspecting the car.

However, you can be reasonably confident that whatever the problem is, it probably won't cost much to fix.

chicken8
13-10-2006, 01:54 PM
yeah JNS012 thinks it could be just the strikers. since you are able to adjust the tightness or the roof latches by moving the positioning of the strikers

anyways this s2000 is currently 2nd in line in preference. will look at another 1 tmr morning which i pretty much hope to just put down a deposit on as the dealer pretty much agreed on a price over the phone. so if the car is in the condition he says its in then i'll take it

.::F[L]Y::.
13-10-2006, 02:05 PM
what color is the 02 S that you are looking at?

yeh sucks to be in the position of selling when it comes to selling the S, its unbelievable the ridiculous offers that you get.

chicken8
13-10-2006, 02:08 PM
silver/red

RedRover
13-10-2006, 02:30 PM
Y::.']yeh sucks to be in the position of selling when it comes to selling the S, its unbelievable the ridiculous offers that you get.

Yes, I agree. If you currently own one, far better to hang on to it than sell. The current market represents great bargains for buyers but much pain for sellers.

If you don't agree with this, tell me what else you can get for under $40,000 that has the same level of quality & performance?

sinb
13-10-2006, 02:38 PM
Yes, I agree. If you currently own one, far better to hang on to it than sell. The current market represents great bargains for buyers but much pain for sellers.

If you don't agree with this, tell me what else you can get for under $40,000 that has the same level of quality & performance?

I am definitely keeping mine..! I love it love it love it..! couldn't be happier.
I must admit tho they do retain value quite well. Like a 2002 model for around 40-42K? thats pretty good compared to alot of cars..!