PDA

View Full Version : Clutch issues

C.I.SIvic
12-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Hey guys just a lil bit of a problem with my ride. Its a civic Si (DOCH non vtec) with hydraulic clutch. Problem is that i was driving today and yeah all of a sudden the clutch friction point dropped like a b*tch. I mean like it went to abt 20% of the travel. Wtf is wrong mate? No leaks and yeah everything still lworks fine. Got clutch done less than 5000kms ago so yeah see wat u guys can come up with. Also weather was pretty hot today, wonder if thats got anything to do with it( ie. clutch fluid boils?)..HELP

destrukshn
12-10-2006, 09:04 PM
are you sure there are no leaks?
check in the cabin, at the firewall where the clutch pedal connects to the cylinder.

destrukshn
12-10-2006, 09:05 PM
also becuase when you change the fluid, the old seals may fail.
and since you got the clutch changed not too long ago, you do have new fluid in there.

EuroDude
12-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Maybe the mechanics used dodgy clutch fluid. Using non-honda brake/clutch fluid can cause problems.

I would replace the clutch fluid with genuine honda fluid and see how that goes, and check for leaks while the fluid is flushed.

destrukshn
12-10-2006, 09:10 PM
i ain't using genuine honda brake fluid.. lol.
and everything is fine.

EuroDude
12-10-2006, 09:17 PM
Yeh I used Castrol brake fluid in my Civic, after never changing the fluid for 250,000km lol. no problems..

If they used a cheap no-frills DOT3 fluid for the clutch, or if the fluid was exposed to too much air, that may cause issues especially on hot days.

destrukshn
12-10-2006, 09:20 PM
clutch fluid doesn't get crash hot does it? lol, all that it's doing is move the bearing?
ait would of been picking up straight away after the clutch install.

look for leaks first things first.
if that fails, try bleeding it.
then we shall take it from there.

simbadda54
12-10-2006, 09:28 PM
Sounds like the clutch master cylinder. Check for a leak at the firewall next at the top of the clutch pedal. Replacing it cost me 200 bucks installed.

EuroDude
12-10-2006, 09:28 PM
clutch fluid doesn't get crash hot does it?
dunno, well the fluid gets close to the hot gearbox, that combined with a hot day could get the fluid temps high and affect the viscosity of the fluid if in bad shape or a cheap brand.

C.I.SIvic, give the car a drive now while its cool and see if its improved now.. but yeah, it generally sounds like a master cylinder problem if its not the fluid

C.I.SIvic
12-10-2006, 09:52 PM
yeah all is good now that it cooled down a bit. dunno what the problem was... i rechecked it and no leaks, if there was bubbles i rekon i wud haf noticed before but yeah no idea... mayb i shud go for higher dot fluid? (used oem last time).

EuroDude
12-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Its best to stick with OEM for Honda's, but I dont think its critical for an EG.

Maybe give some decent DOT5 fluid a try, not sure if Honda make DOT5 fluid though.. But DOT 5 Fluid doesn't absorb moisture, rather it beads the moisture, which may cause problems in a DOT3/4 designed honda system.

I would buy some new DOT4 Honda fluid and give that a try

destrukshn
12-10-2006, 10:02 PM
dot 5.1
that's what i'm using
perfectly fine
better than oem in my opinion.

C.I.SIvic
21-10-2006, 05:48 PM
so here's the story i held out the job for a while since i got exams and stuff on but when i changed the master cylinder it did absolutely F*ck all. no ideas atm ... once again i checked and cannot see any leaks jus like b4? HELP

kingy
22-10-2006, 10:29 AM
pull the boot off your slave cylinder and see if its full of fluid