PDA

View Full Version : Get rid of digital speedo

xtercii
13-10-2006, 09:20 AM
Lately I have been thinking about getting an s2000 for my next or second car, I like everything about it but if there is one thing preventing me from buying it it would be the digital speedo, I simply can't stand it. So my question is, is there any aftermarket conventional analogue speedo that would replace it? Cheers.

ludecrs
13-10-2006, 09:33 AM
no...

chicken8
13-10-2006, 09:34 AM
there is

but seriously why would you change it

the digital speedo and the digital revs are a big selling point for the s2000 as its seen as F1-esque

are you referring to the digital speed readout or the rev meter?

xtercii
13-10-2006, 09:41 AM
the speed read-out is even worse in my mind, I just like the sensation of watching needle winding up to the redline. It just feels more hardcore especially you can rev pass 9k. So who makes the analogue ones?

chicken8
13-10-2006, 09:43 AM
i'll try to find a pic

s2ki is down but i remember there was a pic of an ek with the aftermarket instrument cluster

its not plug and play tho. you need to do some cutting etc.

JasonGilholme
13-10-2006, 09:48 AM
Is the speedo the only thing bothering you? What about the lack of a glove box and the fact that theres no usable room in the boot. And the fact that modifying that car is sooooo expensive.

Plenty of other reasons apart from the speedo IMO

chicken8
13-10-2006, 09:50 AM
when you buy a s2000 you not only buy a car but also a lifestyle

JasonGilholme
13-10-2006, 09:55 AM
What you mean exactly?

chicken8
13-10-2006, 10:02 AM
well with the s2000 you don't exactly buy it for the practicality or comfort. you buy it cause you want the wind in your hair etc.

it used to be just a weekend car but now with the drop in value more and more ppl are buying it as daily drivers

i think you buy this car for a certain lifestyle. where you drive for the sake of driving. instead of the need to get somewhere.

so if you weigh up the practicality VS style i think its only 20% practicality 80% lifestyle based

like for instance if you wanted a car to get from A to B but also wanted some room and some practicality then the S15 can do that for you. but the s2000 doesnt. so you have to make a conscious decision to give up most of your practicality in order to enjoy a certain lifestyle that the S2000 provides

its like a lotus elise but to a lesser extreme. where the lotus elise provides almost 0% practicality. and is purely about a lifestyle choice

sinb
13-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Is the speedo the only thing bothering you? What about the lack of a glove box and the fact that theres no usable room in the boot. And the fact that modifying that car is sooooo expensive.

Plenty of other reasons apart from the speedo IMO

As long as I can fit my golf clubs I am happy..! No Chick is right - The car was built for a purpose --> pure adrenaline. YOu can't exactly get adrenaline from a station wagon (well maybe) but it wont be the same...! :thumbsup:

chicken8
13-10-2006, 10:18 AM
As long as I can fit my golf clubs I am happy..! No Chick is right - The car was built for a purpose --> pure adrenaline. YOu can't exactly get adrenaline from a station wagon (well maybe) but it wont be the same...! :thumbsup:

i think it was built for more than adrenalin alone tho

because u can certainly drive the s2000 at a leisurely pace (within speed limits) and enjoy the ride

sinb
13-10-2006, 10:19 AM
Lately I have been thinking about getting an s2000 for my next or second car, I like everything about it but if there is one thing preventing me from buying it it would be the digital speedo, I simply can't stand it. So my question is, is there any aftermarket conventional analogue speedo that would replace it? Cheers.

Thats one of the features of the S2000 is the digital speedo, Rev indicator etc. Although I agree an analog one would be nice too :confused: . Well now you know that its possible but why would you bother?

tRipitaka
13-10-2006, 10:22 AM
install a monster tacho and speedometer if you wish.

JasonGilholme
13-10-2006, 10:22 AM
I know what you mean about the lifestyle thing but it can still be practical. Thats why i got a delsol. I get the wind in my hair, sporty drive, great handling, sound of high revs

Yet i've still got a glovebox, interior compartments, descent boot space. etc.

sinb
13-10-2006, 10:26 AM
I know what you mean about the lifestyle thing but it can still be practical. Thats why i got a delsol. I get the wind in my hair, sporty drive, great handling, sound of high revs

The S2000 has a glovebox and other compartments, you just have to find them first..! lol The boot size is fair and I can fit golf clubs, and pack a weekend away. Its quite good for a car of its size and height.

chicken8
13-10-2006, 10:26 AM
del sol is prolly a little more practical than the s2000 then

cause right now im looking at a 02 model and that has the stacker in the secret compartment. which pretty much takes away 40% of interior storage space

the 99-01 has the stacker in the boot

xtercii
13-10-2006, 10:27 AM
monster tacho is for monster cars, not suitable for s2000 hehe..

By changing it to analogue I don't mean something that looks cheap and out of place; I was thinking if companies like Spoon would make something nice and OEM looking.

chicken8
13-10-2006, 10:41 AM
monster tacho is for monster cars, not suitable for s2000 hehe..

By changing it to analogue I don't mean something looks cheap and out of place; I was thinking if companies like Spoon would make something nice and OEM looking.

theres nothing thats plug and play

there is a pretty nice instrument cluster that looks alot like the one in the koenigsegg if you know what that one looks like

but you will need to do some modifying to the hole where ur cluster goes and also make a new cluster surround for it as this is shaped almost like a triangle so u need to build a housing for it to sit in and then sit in ur cluster hole

http://www.classic-and-dream-cars.com/image-files/tmb_koenigsegg_ccr_013_150x75.jpg

euroasia
13-10-2006, 11:21 AM

don't lie :p your wallet just wasn't big enough for the s2000 :D

Vuey
13-10-2006, 11:30 AM

mate , im sure anything can be done if your willing to pay for it .

i was like you at first , i really disliked the Digital dash when i bought my car , but after about a month , i loved it !
Once your use to it , you cant go back to analogue , trust me on that . its so accurate and its fantastic when you rev it upto 9000rpm's and it flashes for you to up shift . It doesnt jump around erractically as most people think . Its clear and easy to read .
As more modern cars are coming out with digital displays .
the new civic for one , 350 Z has a little digital read out , so does the RX-8 .
Plus , the dash is actually very small , so you will have to look at some kind of custom made job , as its only about the size of a PSP .
Remeber , F1 cars , V8 touring cars all use digital read outs for a reason .

And keep in mind , its a sports car , dont go whinging on about how its not practical . You know what your buying , if it's practicallity bothers you , buy a sedan . Ive come from a string of 2 seater cars . So im use to it .

JasonGilholme
13-10-2006, 11:31 AM
don't lie :p your wallet just wasn't big enough for the s2000 :D

...... :o

How did you know!!!! :P

aaronng
13-10-2006, 12:51 PM
I like the digital dash. But the only downside is that the speedo doesn't update at a high enough refresh rate.

Vuey
13-10-2006, 01:32 PM
I like the digital dash. But the only downside is that the speedo doesn't update at a high enough refresh rate.

oh , i think it is set up just fine on the S2000 (down want to sound bias;) ).
If it refreshed too fast , it will be too eractic and hard to follow .

.::F[L]Y::.
13-10-2006, 02:07 PM
to answer you question...yes you can.

SPoon offers a replacement as well as STACK.

But be prepared to pay big bucks!! i also agree with you, digital tacho looks ghey, i love the mx5 instrument panel, so nice.

Vuey
13-10-2006, 02:42 PM
Y::.']to answer you question...yes you can.

SPoon offers a replacement as well as STACK.

But be prepared to pay big bucks!! i also agree with you, digital tacho looks ghey, i love the mx5 instrument panel, so nice.

some of you guys got too much money .
If thats the case will only make it more of a target for theives breaking into your car and taking it . :thumbdwn:

WhiteAP1
14-10-2006, 12:32 AM

Its still not an s2000, simple as that. In regards to the above, an MX5 would give the driver the same things, but again, its still not an S2000.

ROLLED
14-10-2006, 05:28 PM
how can you even compare a delsol to a s2000?

jko2
14-10-2006, 05:55 PM
I would strongly suggest against changing it, unless you really don't give a rats about re-sale value.
changing the digital dash of the s2k seems so intrusive.
Also the dash was engineered to be that exact size - you just see all of it through the steering wheel. In fact, the shape of the dash fits exactly in the top part of the steering wheel. could also a reason why you can't do tilt for the steering wheel.

aaronng
14-10-2006, 06:25 PM
I
Also the dash was engineered to be that exact size - you just see all of it through the steering wheel. In fact, the shape of the dash fits exactly in the top part of the steering wheel. could also a reason why you can't do tilt for the steering wheel.
S2000's dash is a good design for visibility (except in bright sunlight lol).

jko2
14-10-2006, 06:44 PM
the bright sunlight thing I never really experienced. I foudn it was okay.
maybe when the roof is down and the sun is right on it....

i've never really noticed it so i really don't think worth mentioning.

ludecrs
14-10-2006, 07:40 PM

Its really........ not that bad.... mines a DD and it never worries me.

ECU-MAN
15-10-2006, 12:54 PM
when you buy a s2000 you not only buy a car but also a lifestyle

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jko2
15-10-2006, 06:53 PM
oh yeah.. a lifestyle... :) that's an amazing car. you're buying a lifestyle! woah!

i bought my s2000 because i liked the car and its fun to drive.. my life didn't really change too much...

ROLLED
15-10-2006, 07:15 PM
well u met me jko...i'd say your life has TURNED AROUND!!!

15-10-2006, 08:10 PM
yeh i think its abit extreme saying ' buying an s2k is also buying a lifestyle'

dont really think it would change your life much? except maybe be more in debt rofl

AP1 F20c
16-10-2006, 10:37 AM
To dice and separate the facts from the myths.

AFAIK - The Spoon instrument cluster never made it into production, there is only 1 ever made. And it's on display in Spoon HQ only. It wasn't even a working model if anything, no amount of money will get you this.

The Stack instrument cluster is an analogue tachometer only with digital readouts on everything else. This instrument cluster is approximately $3500 - $4000 not inclusive of wiring work and accessory components (S2000 cluster surroundings).

ASM has a Mugen full digital readout and is a similar version to above. However, uses a generic double DIN ICE display to achieve this effect. A few ballers on S2Ki have this. And once again, is in the same figure bracket as above.

The last available option is the Defi DSSC with real analogue dials but also feeds out digital readouts for speed/temperature/boost measurements. However, I doubt this will work on the AP1/2 as it requires the factory instrument cluster to be in place. The DSSC sits in front and there is no room on the AP1/2 for this to happen.

xtercii
16-10-2006, 12:29 PM
Thanks buddy best piece of info I have heard so far in this thread. No wonder I searched everywhere and couldn’t find the spoon cluster. Guess getting an analogue will not be an option then.

Vuey
16-10-2006, 03:22 PM
thats not true . Im happy to show anyone . Roof down in midday with sun light directly shining on it and you can read it just fine ;)

Vuey
16-10-2006, 03:24 PM
Y::.']yeh i think its abit extreme saying ' buying an s2k is also buying a lifestyle'

dont really think it would change your life much? except maybe be more in debt rofl

ahahaha i wonder where chicken 8 got that line from ?

you have to be abit of a sick kunt to drive it . simple as that . Should be some sort of personality test before your allowed to buy one :p

ROLLED
18-10-2006, 12:18 AM
thats not true . Im happy to show anyone . Roof down in midday with sun light directly shining on it and you can read it just fine ;)

haha no u cant, show me...

ludecrs
18-10-2006, 12:21 AM
Just what is it exactly of Vuey's you wish to see with the roof down at midday, with direct sunlight shining on it? :p

WhiteAP1
18-10-2006, 01:15 AM
Im with Vuey on this one, ive never had visibility issues.

ludecrs
18-10-2006, 10:46 PM
I stand corrected....

http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/2879713a.jpg
http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/2879704a.jpg
http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/2879713b.jpg

ROLLED
18-10-2006, 10:48 PM
Just what is it exactly of Vuey's you wish to see with the roof down at midday, with direct sunlight shining on it? :p

owls...

I'm guessing Vuey wouldn't have issues cos of his head! HAHA joking mate...WhiteAP1 must have the same issue going there!!

ROLLED
18-10-2006, 10:49 PM
I stand corrected, and so do all of you....

http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/2879713a.jpg
http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/2879704a.jpg
http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/2879713b.jpg

I want that...I want it now!!! awesome find

chicken8
18-10-2006, 10:58 PM
theres nothing thats plug and play

there is a pretty nice instrument cluster that looks alot like the one in the koenigsegg if you know what that one looks like

but you will need to do some modifying to the hole where ur cluster goes and also make a new cluster surround for it as this is shaped almost like a triangle so u need to build a housing for it to sit in and then sit in ur cluster hole

http://www.classic-and-dream-cars.com/image-files/tmb_koenigsegg_ccr_013_150x75.jpg

same as the one i put up

ROLLED
18-10-2006, 11:06 PM
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=403152&st=0

18-10-2006, 11:17 PM
damn thats hot! esp the sat nav.

AusS2000
25-10-2006, 05:08 PM
If you want that sweeping look as ou approach redline the S2000 tacho is ideal. Can I however suggest that you don't stare at it whilst redlining. Not a good way to keep an S in one piece.

In answer to your question; no, there is no replacement. THis car is not an EK and has very different signals to other cars. Spoon made 1 and I mean ONE but never produced it. You could theoretically install a Stack unit but, well let's just say you're not going to do that.

As to Jason's questions: There is a glove box, the boot is usable and the reason the car is so expensive to modify is that it already is. That's why it's faster than your buzz box with all the mods you can afford.

Matyi
02-11-2006, 11:43 PM
I thought Id hate the speedo/tacho as well, but Ive had my S for about 6 weeks, and its grown on me... I now prefer having huge, easy to read numbers and the blinking redline indicator.. Its pretty hot.