PDA

View Full Version : clicking from a/c

n/a
13-10-2006, 04:22 PM
hey guys, little problem with a/c. i get a clicking sound from my a/c unit when it's turned on and the car is at idle. clicking disappears when the car is running, but clicks when the car is rolling in neutral. idle is normal.

don't know if it's related but the a/c isn't as cold as it should be either.
any idea what it could be?

i'm looking to getting my a/c changed, so if there are just a few things i need to get to my a/c working back the way it would be great.

note: car is standard, EFI. but an 89 model, so maybe the a/c has had enough?

Zdster
13-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Might be that there are leaves near the fan as my system had the same issue. When in neutral you could hear it, but couldnt hear it over the sound of the engine when driving.

n/a
13-10-2006, 04:54 PM
Might be that there are leaves near the fan as my system had the same issue. When in neutral you could hear it, but couldnt hear it over the sound of the engine when driving.

no leaves, and it's not the engine noise covering up the clicking. it simply stops clicking.

Zdster
13-10-2006, 04:59 PM
no leaves, and it's not the engine noise covering up the clicking. it simply stops clicking.

So it is fairly loud then I take it? Maybe something to do with the belts slipping?

n/a
13-10-2006, 05:02 PM
i was thinking something was stuck in the belt, but for it to stop when the rpm is not at idle just doesnt' add up.

yea it's damn loud.

n/a
13-10-2006, 06:41 PM
maybe this should be in technical?

Slow96GSR
13-10-2006, 08:44 PM
What year and model is this car? Might have a bad a/c clutch or low on freon (r134a on 15ish and new, r12 on older). If it clicks on and off a lot it means you need to recharge the system, same if it's not cooling. Take it to a pro that can do it, not a DIY as you need to clear the system and put a vacuum in it so it cools the best.

green_machine
13-10-2006, 10:04 PM
the clicking ur hearing is from the aircon compressor engaging and disengaging
wen there is load on the engine. wen ur idlin it will engage and put load on ur engine but wen ur moving it disengages so there is less load on ur engine and so u dont use too much fuel....im guessin u need to regas ur system.

n/a
14-10-2006, 02:06 AM
so just a simply regas and the clicking will go away? nothing is faulty?

Slow96GSR
14-10-2006, 04:58 AM
It won't go away when you use the a/c it will click on, then cool the evaporator, then shut off, and it keeps doing that until you shut it off, it just stays on and off longer. When it clicks on and off fast it either has a bad clutch, power connection, or is low on gas. It will shut itself off like that to protect itself when it's low on gas. Also might want to get some oil from the dealer or parts store to refill it and lube the parts. GM calls it pag oil and I haven't done a Honda system in a while, we take them off for racing, not refill them!

n/a
15-10-2006, 03:52 PM
its 89 EF. when i mean theres a clicking sound i meant that something is rattling or tapping near the a/c unit in the engine bay when the a/c is turned on. stops clicking when the car is out of idle.

i guess a mech will tell me the prob..