PDA

View Full Version : How to make the A/C Colder?

Petronas
14-10-2006, 02:09 PM
Well my A/C is working fine but it's not cold enough... What would be a simple sollution? Getting the A/C tank filled with Gas?

89 EF Civic

jdmlvn
14-10-2006, 02:14 PM
Getting the A/C tank filled with Gas?

89 EF Civic

Yes, should cost you $100 on one of those car repair workshops on railway street at cabramatta.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Petronas
14-10-2006, 02:16 PM
Yes, should cost you $100 on one of those car repair workshops on railway street at cabramatta.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ooo... Bit pricy at $100... thought it would be around $50...

What do I say? Fill my A/C gas tank up?

Ohh and how long will the filled tank last?

TRU32U
14-10-2006, 02:20 PM
no u go in there and say hey yo i need some "free-on" for my air con yo!!!

Petronas
14-10-2006, 02:22 PM
no u go in there and say hey yo i need some "free-on" for my air con yo!!!
:wave: :thumbsup:

dc2dc2dc2
14-10-2006, 03:15 PM
yeap just get a/c gas repumped ftw !

blubber
14-10-2006, 03:17 PM
Once you get it refilled, they will probably advise you to use the A/C frequently so the problem doesnt happen again. I try to use mine regularly (in colder months just use it with the heater).

mrwillz
14-10-2006, 03:22 PM
I try to use mine regularly (in colder months just use it with the heater).
i do this
not only to haf it runon a regular basis.. but to clear fog .... MAGIC!

dc2dc2dc2
14-10-2006, 03:23 PM
why do u need to regularly run the a/c ?

blubber
14-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Good question!

The guy who did mine told me that the seals dry out quicker if it is not used regularly.

However, that answer would please no one on this thread so i did some research :D

If you car does not feel cold enough, then you may need to recharge your system

If you feel that your car doesn’t feel as cold as your friend’s car, then your system may need servicing. The air conditioning system in your vehicle is not usually covered by most manufacturers servicing schedules and the refrigerant gas that is used to operate the system depletes over time. On average most vehicles lose up to 15% per annum. This leakage can be caused when then system is not used during the winter months. Thus allowing the small “O” ring seals to dry out resulting in a gradual deterioration in system performance. If this continues, eventually the system will not be able to operate at all.

Most problems of this type can be put right fairly easily by a leak check of your system followed by a complete refill of your air conditioning refrigerant, this is sometimes referred to as a re-gas.

AND

Running your air conditioning year round will help maintain the system

If you run the air conditioning in the winter it will help to keep the system well lubricated and leak tight. This is because the refrigerant actually carries the oil that lubricates the system and most importantly the compressor. It also keeps the seals and hoses moist, thus preventing them from drying out and cracking which can lead to leaks.

Hows that for service :D :D

Taken from: http://y2u.co.uk/Really_Useful/Auto/Ru_Auto_016_Car_Auto_Air_Conditioning.htm

teaseR
14-10-2006, 03:39 PM
when they regas ur A/C system
to do it properly...

they need to remove the old gas out with some pump... they weigh it to see how low u were on...

and then they pump new gas in

for it to last use reguarly!!!

Jnr_Mint
14-10-2006, 03:39 PM
Ive got a DA9 that i got re-gased at the beginning of this year, its cold not freezing. all im saying is dont expect it to be freezing coz it wont be. Hondas are notroious for ac problems.

dc2dc2dc2
14-10-2006, 03:41 PM
good stuff blubber ~ rep ftw !!

Petronas
14-10-2006, 03:47 PM
Ive got a DA9 that i got re-gased at the beginning of this year, its cold not freezing. all im saying is dont expect it to be freezing coz it wont be. Hondas are notroious for ac problems.
Really, so it will be nowhere near as cold as my other car, an 03 Echo?

And is the normal price around the $100 mark? Or a bit more?

dc2dc2dc2
14-10-2006, 03:48 PM
get off that ass of urs and use ur legs and go around asking for prices :p

EG5[KRT]
14-10-2006, 04:10 PM
the going rate for a regas is like $90

but for a full a/c service which is what you want can range from $200 up due to the fact that they replace all seals,replace receiver dryer and tx valves

Slow96GSR
14-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Wow lots of great answers and some that will cost more and do more than needs to be done. You don't necessarily need a receiver/drier. That part almost never fails. Next as dc2x3 said go get quotes. The best part is you can have them check to see if you are low on the gas. Most shops will check it for free. If you need a refill then they will fill it. If you need a new part they can determine that.

The proper way to do the repair is:

1: Determine the gas, r134a most likely but 95 and older had r12, much more expensive.
2: Is it low?
3: Do a leak test to sniff out a leak. Leaks? Yes, evacuate the system and replace parts. No leaks, go on.
4: Evacuate the system and leave it on a vacuum for 30 minutes, checking to see if it drops over that time. You want to get out as much of the old gas and oil as possible.
5: Vacuum leak? Yes, find and fix, redo vacuuming. No, continue on.
6: Recharge the system, do not let the vacuum go when you disconnect the machine, it helps draw the gas and new oil in. The average Honda takes 24 oz, 1.5-2 cans, depending on their size. You will also need the lubricating oil, see the manual or ask the dealer for the type and amount, not more than 1-2 oz.

The reason they say to run the a/c a lot is so this oil keeps moving. You don't want it to sit as then the seals dry out, the pump can seize, and it can get dissolved in the desiccant bag in the receiver/drier.

Also on the last Honda I did, a CRX, the filter was $1.95USD, R/D with new seals was $19.95USD, a seal kit for the pump and others was $5.95USD ($27.85 USD or $33.09 AUD). Except for the evacuating and recharging (which could be done at home, but not nearly as effective.) this can all be done at home.

I'll scan some docs I have and post links to them later.