PDA

View Full Version : HELP rounded allen key slot

shinji112
14-10-2006, 07:32 PM
was gonna put some springs on my car but the left rear strut has a rounded allen key slot so we wouldnt be able to get the spring out once we took the strut off. anyone know what this is exactly and where i can get a new one? coz my mate can get it off but hes gonna hafta wreck it basically so im gonna need a replacement. thx (duno if this belongs in n00b forum or not)
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/8582/shaftji7.jpg

SPEEDCORE
14-10-2006, 07:41 PM
That alan key slot has nothing to do with being able to get the strut out.

The two nuts that are over the two studs are what are needed to be taken off to get the struts out.

FWIW.... the alan key slot is very common on shocks that are adjustable, and that is where you adjust from.

shinji112
14-10-2006, 07:45 PM
you're spot on about it not being related but that allan key shaft needs to be held in place so u can unbolt it to take the spring out of the strut.. we tested it before we took out the strut coz theres no point in taking out the strut and finding out that you cant take the spring out plus its easier to unbolt it a tiny bit while its being held in place by the other 2 screws rather than me holding the strut. i'll edit my first post since my wording was wrong

SPEEDCORE
14-10-2006, 08:03 PM
Aside from trying your luck with vice grips and rags to protect the shock shaft and prevent it from spinning...... I think your probably best at getting a new set of shocks for the rear.

Could also try losening the nut by holding onto the top of the threaded part with vice grips and rags, and hope that the threaded part does not get damaged.

Have you tried with the next size up alan/hex key?

shinji112
14-10-2006, 08:12 PM
tried the next size up.. its too big but the vice grip is a good idea actually! i might try that =)
so that shaft is actually part of the shocks? in that case.. shit.. coz my shocks are still good actually =(

[ricer]
14-10-2006, 08:21 PM
man just find someone with an air compressor and a rattle gun and stop wasting ur time lol

will come out 100%

SPEEDCORE
14-10-2006, 08:24 PM
Yeah it is part of the shock. You know how if you look through the spring you see the shiny rod.....the top of that shiny rod is the threaded part.

That is why when you are trying to losen the nut.... it is spinning the whole rod.

Besure not to damage the shiney part of the rod.... when that shiney part becomes abrasive it will damage the seal at the top of the shock and bye bye shock in no time.

shinji112
14-10-2006, 08:24 PM
haha great ideas! thx for that! too tired after a days work to think of this stuff!

SKREMN
14-10-2006, 08:32 PM
two words "rattle gun" mine where rusted completely sat there for about 5 mins with the rattle guna dn wd 40 got them off eventually

shinji112
14-10-2006, 08:36 PM
yeah rattle gun is an option. but my mate who is an apprentice mechanic (and helping me install the springs) isnt gonna buy one until hes got all his tools. gonna hafta do it full homejob style. but cant wait til he gets his air compressor.. rattle gun.. and hopefully one day a full-on hoist!

aimre
15-10-2006, 12:30 AM
Can he weld?

Stick ur allen key in there, get a rod, and rill it up with some molten metal. Then spin that bitch off

shinji112
15-10-2006, 06:49 PM
welding is a lil hardcore. would be best if i could keep the shocks hehe but rattle gun would make it so easy.. too bad we duno anyone with a rattle gun =(

nastyazn694u
15-10-2006, 08:17 PM
i say get new shocks cass, you won't regret it. but yeah if your desperate then file 2 opposite sides and use spanners or something to get it out

bennjamin
15-10-2006, 08:22 PM
get the shock out and get a new/2nd hand rear one to suit.
You only need to "use" the allen key top if taking the shock apart ( IR installing springs) so if thats the case , use a thin hacksaw and mark a line on the top , fit a large flathead screwdriver or similar and HEAPS of WD40. Dont forget to use spring compressors.
Crack the 14mm top nut

SKREMN
15-10-2006, 08:46 PM
the nut thats on there is a nylox nut its got a small nylon ring on it to stop the bolt coming loose
if you heat it up the nylox will melt and then the bolt should free up also

snappy_
16-10-2006, 10:29 PM
cass get a new car..!!!