PDA

View Full Version : Honda Integra LS (early 1991) ECU

JayKaye
26-05-2004, 06:12 PM
G'day all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I had a look through the forums for information on the ECU of the Integra LS 1991 but didnt mind much info.

I would like to know what sort of computer is in this car. OBD-1? I pulled the one in my car apart and noted the model number on the board, which is "U1Y-E 02D01620-1500".

What sort of information can I get from this ECU? Could I connect a PC to it and read information from it? or perhaps even change settings in it?

Thanks in advance :)

- Ed

BLKCRX
26-05-2004, 08:45 PM
what other mark'ing r on the euc ;-) ?

ie on the stickers ?

Regards James

ECU-MAN
26-05-2004, 10:43 PM
I pretty sure your ECU is a OBD-0, does the ECU have two yellowish coloured connectors plugging onto it or three grey connectors? I recon its two yellowish connectors.

I dont think your ECU has the serial port in it and you wont have much fun trying to convert it to osme kind of RTP.

you may want to consider a P28 or P30 conversion, these ECU's have more frexability with code cracking and you can get RTP and datalogging software for them.

majic777
27-05-2004, 01:21 PM
i'm pretty sure 89-91 LS's were obd-0 and 92-93 LS's were obd-1. the only way to fiddle with the settings that i know of, is to chip it with either a performance chip from some company or ebay, or to program your own chip and install it :)

goto www.pgmfi.org to find out more about most honda ecu's!

JayKaye
27-05-2004, 06:18 PM
thanks guys.
i will take a few photos of the ECU and post them up here.

reason why i ask is because i have a computer installed in my car running windows 2000 with a touchscreen LCD monitor. if i can somehow connect my ECU to this computer i can get real-time readings (or even tuning ability) while im driving. that is basically one of the goals of my project.

if my ECU is OBD-0 and it is not capable of extracting information from it. i may have to install one of those chips majic mentioned.

acongdon
28-05-2004, 08:32 AM
Your ECU looks like this:

http://www.pgmfi.org/phorum/download.php/12,272/pr4-q60.jpg

You can replace the builtin programme with one containing datalogging following
the instructions at the above site.

FR33K
28-05-2004, 05:29 PM
ive got an 89LS teg and my ECU looks like that... but one of my chips is different.. looks like this
http://img36.photobucket.com/albums/v110/FR33K/chip1.jpg

its got that little sticker thing on it which means its programmable ??? i dunno why mines diff... any1 else have the same one ??

ECU-MAN
28-05-2004, 09:47 PM
its cheaper for them to build the ecu's with the chips that dont have stckers (PROMS) as they are one time program only. some JDM ecu's have EPROMS shown above. If your ECU has a PROM or EPROM it can be removed and a socket put in place, then you can put in a modified rom. however some ECU's OBD0 and OBDII ECUS dont ahve the option to put in an external EPROM as the ROM data is in the MCU, there are some funky mods on pgmfi.org on how to do this. and some OBD 0 and 1 have a place to put in an EPROM, with a few extra components you can put in a modified rom.

FR33K
29-05-2004, 01:26 AM
yeah that chip above came out of my ECU and i put a socket in place with a modified chip... i was just confused why the same car came with diff chips.. since ive had others check theirs and it was diff..

JayKaye
29-05-2004, 01:30 AM
thats exactly what my ECU looks like acongdon.

i have access to an EPROM programmer. if i took out my PROM and somehow got a hold of the updated software and loaded it into an EPROM, would that work?
If so, where can I get the software from? is the above PROM a normal 512b one?

EDIT: hmm, it seems if i am to change the PROM I will have to desolder the one already there. Would I be correct in saying it is the 3rd one above the bottom right of the board in this pic http://www.pgmfi.org/phorum/download.php/12,272/pr4-q60.jpg

The one with a '92' on it. OKI chip.

JayKaye
29-05-2004, 01:43 AM
I think the ECU is this one: http://www.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin/view/Library/OBD0MPFI

OBD-0.
The ROM number on the site "OKI 38256" matches one in the pic (above).

can someone confirm please?

EDIT: hmm OR it could be this one: http://www.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin/view/Library/OBD0PR4

not sure

FR33K
29-05-2004, 02:34 PM
yeah thats it... u cant really go wrong since its the only one that has 28 legs or watever they are called...and that width.. when u get the replacement chip its obvious..
be careful desoldering coz u have to do it from both sides of the board... and u need something to suck up the solder as u heat it up to be able to get it off..

my chip was 27256... does it make a difference?

ECU-MAN
30-05-2004, 12:37 AM
doesn't matter weather its XX256X chip as long as it holds 256k data and is faster that 120ns you will be ok,

Manufacturers will put in there ecu's what ever is going cheap at the time. it doesn't really matter what is in there.

JayKaye
30-05-2004, 02:24 AM
ok great, ill buy a 256k EPROM in the coming week.
Can someone please confirm which EPROM software is the best to use for this type of ECU and what sort of information I can get using it?
I also dont seem to have a serial port for my ECU, how will I go about getting the information out?

Thanks so much for you help thus far fellas. Been very helpful :)