PDA

View Full Version : engine pinging

jaffa_cree
26-05-2004, 07:43 PM
i recently noticed that my engine makes a pinging noise under load
i assume this is engine knock and is very harmful to the engine

it doesnt always ping which is a nuisance
it generally pings when accelerating up hill or when accelerating around the 20-40 km speed

how can i eliminate this problem?
will all mechanics know what i am talking about?
is it hard for the mechanics to diagnose the source of the problem, since the pinging is spontaneous?
what are the long term effects of pinging?

madgrk
26-05-2004, 07:59 PM
Do you mean pinging? Or the noise of a sticky tappet? If its tappets, just get your local mechanic to adjust them. Luckily for you, Honda have adjustable ones unlike my Falcon :?

If it was pinging, you certainly would'nt be driving with it thats for sure..

stocky
26-05-2004, 08:02 PM
retard ur timing or use better fuel.

jaffa_cree
26-05-2004, 08:04 PM
it sounds like a tin of pins being shaked

would a mechanic know how to retard the timing?

would that be the reason behind the pinging and ultimately solve the problem,

wynode
26-05-2004, 08:16 PM
Yes.......its just a matter of turning your dizzy.

Pinging = bad and can have long term effects.

BLKCRX
26-05-2004, 08:43 PM
if u can hear engine ping from your car you have already caused damage to your engine.
get your car tuned ! asap

Regards James

geo41e
26-05-2004, 08:51 PM
goo too hannyss lols

vti-2
26-05-2004, 10:18 PM
1. Check spark plugs - replace if haven't been done in a while
2. Check leads - replace if haven't been done in a while
3. Replace your fuel filter
4. Then get the car tuned!

Just my 2c.

2ds
26-05-2004, 10:22 PM
what sort of car is it and are you running premium ?

-2ds

ECU-MAN
26-05-2004, 10:27 PM
the engine should not ping if your set the Timming correctly.
If you have a VTIR u should be running premium but even still it shouldnt pin with regular unleaded\
also excessive carbon dipososits in the combustion chamber can cause pre ignition thus Pining

what type of car do you have ????? I can tell you the procedure to adjust the timming if you want.

jaffa_cree
27-05-2004, 07:36 AM
its a VTi EG

ECU-MAN
28-05-2004, 09:33 PM
cool

warm up your engine. the thermo fan should have come on at least twice, turn the engine off, plug in the short connector ( the female two pin connector under the LHS of the glove box ) if you dont have a short connector just improvise and stick a wire in there so short out the two pins. start the engine plug in you timming light, flash it at the crank pully and you should see the red mark on the crank pully should line up with the mark on the timming cover, if it does not loosen your distributor an slightly turn it one way or the other to make them marks line up. tighten your distributor and recheck ( tightening the dizzy sometimes moves your timming. ) unplug the short connector and road test the car and see if it made a difference.

saboteur
29-05-2004, 10:19 AM
I hear that noise when I plant it when the engine is already under load. I figured it was just tappets or injectors or something.

TOYOL
29-05-2004, 10:24 AM
if u can hear engine ping from your car you have already caused damage to your engine.
get your car tuned ! asap

Regards James

What kind of damage?

RMN15N
15-03-2006, 06:58 PM
you can screw up ur engine basically.. the most common cause of pinging is people who dont know jack about what there doing go and advance the timing to much, and think its going to be quicker.. and they screw up there car in the long run..

bennjamin
15-03-2006, 07:02 PM
too much advance is not a good thing.

BTW this thread is more than 2 years old...

Closed