PDA

View Full Version : Got that Jerky feelin

Fredo
26-05-2004, 08:55 PM
MY manual 96 civic sedan feels very jerky to drive but, mainly when goin slow like in carparks and stuff in first gear (or second) it feels like i'm tapping on the accelerator and the cars jerkin back and forwards but i'm keepin the accelerator at the same position.

And it seems to start out ok then slowly starts doing it.

Anyone have a clue about what i'm on about as it is hard to explain?

Also i get the same problem although less noticble when i'm revving through the gears, it kind of alsmost feels like a hesitation or something (hard to describe), it does this pretty much in any gear any speed and is only minor but noticible.

These problems seem similar and may be connected somehow

anyone any idea's about these problems

egSi
26-05-2004, 09:05 PM
fuel supply ok?
filter blocked or something?

civicboy
26-05-2004, 09:09 PM
might be your clucths' wear out....
mine does d same hehehe....bunny hopin' when n 1st gear movin slowly or slown' down

geo41e
26-05-2004, 09:19 PM
check ya clutch.........
if its new..was the fly wheel machined??

check ya fuel pump maybe ?

Fredo
26-05-2004, 09:57 PM
The cars got 140k on it but i dont know if the clutch has ever been replaced.

Although it does seem ok, i dont think it is the clutch how could it be slipping while i'm going slow with very little load on the car?

I've just replaced the fuel filter also.

ECU-MAN
26-05-2004, 10:21 PM
this is a long shot but reset the ECU, disconnect the neg battery terminal for about 30 seconds then put it back on. then take it for a drive.

I get the exact problem in my VTIR when I use a JDM ECU.

[[d a n n y]]
26-05-2004, 10:35 PM
this is a long shot but reset the ECU, disconnect the neg battery terminal for about 30 seconds then put it back on. then take it for a drive.

I get the exact problem in my VTIR when I use a JDM ECU.

hm..it's seems like u dont have enuff revs when u go slow..

ECU-MAN
26-05-2004, 10:45 PM
na she idles at 750 - 800 but has this terrible sudder through the car under deceleration and coasting, I think its in the ROM im using. I can put up with it though

[G]
26-05-2004, 11:23 PM
OK ill give it a shot as i had something similiar when i just finished my engine conversion. When u are driving along the car sometimes jerks/stutters badly and then it goes away. Happens in most gears..

Thats what I had. In the end it was my ground wires being shitty and old, just replace them with some stereo cable and some new connectors and u should be right to go. Costs between 5-8 bucks and im pretty sure Wynode has posted a topic here on how to do it if unsure.

Let us know how u go

A'PEXi
26-05-2004, 11:28 PM
not sure bout problems, but i think i get what your on about, when it starts to jerk, just let off the accelerator and put your clutch in a little or shift into 2nd to see if it still happens :D just a driving technique i think

bennjamin
26-05-2004, 11:49 PM
More than likely...it will be a problem in ur transmission - not in your engine.
My d16a8 m yes - does the same thing too - almost "lurches and jumps" at low revs....and mkes sum funny ass noise too lol . BUT i know what it needs - new clutch , and a few new bnearings inside the transmission. Total likely cost ? $1000.00 all up including labour , overhauled(rebuilt?) gearbox and brand new heavy duty clutch.
*still saving for it!*

Hope it isnt as bad as this....but it will be something in ur transmission mate.

geo41e
26-05-2004, 11:56 PM
l gotta heavy duty clutch kit including HD pressureplate...and organic unity disc...PLUS new Gbox bearings...all fitted including labour...bout 700

hehe

bennjamin
27-05-2004, 12:40 AM
l gotta heavy duty clutch kit including HD pressureplate...and organic unity disc...PLUS new Gbox bearings...all fitted including labour...bout 700

hehe

All at Hannys ?
Coz i know Robert is charging anyone $900+ for JUST a Exedy organic clutch installation.....rippppppp pfft.

ICVCI
27-05-2004, 08:30 AM
my old gearbox did that, its nothing major atm... however when you drive slow in first gear in a carpark, and it pops out, or if ur to the point where u gotta hold the shifter so that it doesnt pop out without using the clutch or if it makes scraping noises in the actual box itself, or sudders when u take off, or even performance loss, then be worried

it could be hot spots on ur flywheel perhaps?

i recon u have about 6-8 months of driving before u need to replace/rebuild ur gbox. depending on how u drive. mine started of the same way urs did, and after 8 months iv had to buy another gearbox, in that time i've manage to stuff up my synchro (1-2), centre bearing, thrust bearing and rear main seal... rebuild is around $1200 - $1400 but ur lucky, u can find a g/box for about $600 - $900 (max)

tranny code for your car is S4O - xxxxxxx
i suggest get it checked out, it wouldnt hurt, that way u have peace of mind about ur tranny.

Fredo
28-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the idea's guys, i was thinking it was a possible gearbox problem. it's really not that bad at the moment.

The gears don't pop out or grind in any gear although there is a slight wine in 1st,2nd and a bit in 3rd is this normal for a front wheel drive manual, it's not loud or anything but is there?

The lady that owned it before me was like mid 30's and owned it from new and i can't see her having thrashed it.

Tranny oil was just replaced also.

could it be the engine moving cause somtimes when i hit the clutch to change up from 3rd it feels like the engine moves back into position or somthing when the load is released.

ToF
28-05-2004, 06:42 PM
check ya TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)??
could be that maybe? :s

bennjamin
28-05-2004, 06:43 PM
ANOTHER fact -

IT could be one or some of your engine mounts which are damaged - lettign the engine move much more than usual - AND can cause problems with shift libnkage and general driving - since the entire engine pivots much more, affectign the transmission etc....My car needs this too - requires $150 including parts+ labour. . .

Ironfist
29-05-2004, 12:27 AM
I have the same problem..

to solve it i just put the clutch in a little bit or all the way...
i think it's because the engine is getting not enough revs.. that's all

for example .. back in the day when i first learnt to drive manual, and was scared of stalling... the instructor showed me that the car won't stall unless you apply the brake (somthing along the lines of that)
he told me to just let the car gradually decelrate on a straight road and notice that the car when it's near loosing revs will still keep struggling to keep the engine going (which was like hopping) but won't stall

Since i've had the car, it has always done that at very low revs (carparks especially). I've gone about 30,000k's with the car and it's still going strong.

Although now when i change fast into 4th gear ... the stick has poped out ( as in i didn't pull the stick all the way into gear). But that could be just retarded gear changing

saboteur
29-05-2004, 10:44 AM
I have a freshly rebuilt gearbox and get this problem. It's my engine mounts. Not saying that is the case for you but I'll be looking for some stronger aftermarket ones (will have to sacrifice comfort from those extra vibrations, but that's life).