PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice : Engine conversion

Sinbad
17-10-2006, 05:35 AM
Hi there..
I can be considered a total NOOB when it comes to cars. I know a little bit of here and there but only for a standard automobile. When it comes to putting in a new engine into my 96' Civic VTI coupe i dont have a clue. So i decided where best to ask but the internet. I have been talking to some of my friends who are into cars but most of them only know about turbos and anything above 400hp for an engine

Plan: 1.8L Type-R engine (i'm guessing this is a B18cR)

My biggest obstacle to getting that is the budget. I'm aiming 7k in total and i'm scouting around for the pricing. I was wondering if anyone here would have any estimates.
So far from my "talks" i found out roughly what needs to be changed along with the engine but cant be totally sure.

-engine mounts
-headers, piping, exhaust system
-gearbox(can a civic's gearbox handle the B18cR?)
-ECU

Any help from anyone would be great :)

Weq
17-10-2006, 10:26 AM
There are some writeup's in the DIY section about engine conversion's into civics.

They are fairly straight forward, but a b18c7 or 5 (typer) is going to cost u. Depending on what u want, a half-cut will cost around 5k. Actually PM MRJDM, i think he has one lieing round atm.

What is ur aim, DIY? Have a shop install it? Is ur current engine still good? cause u always have the option of turboing that..

SOme other websites for reference,

http://www.honda-tech.com/
http://www.hondaswap.com/

[[d a n n y]]
17-10-2006, 11:18 AM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47020

for EG but
EK is same principle

marte
17-10-2006, 07:33 PM
btw and no ur gear box wont handle the bseries engine lol

Sinbad
17-10-2006, 11:51 PM
DIY is totally out of question.. i dont know anything else than changing radiator coolant and engine oil. I'm probably going to look for a mechanic that does Hondas up

From the other thread it says b18c engines are 7-8k? Is there no other way to get a hold on these engines for cheaper? self import? search scrap yards..

The other thing is apart from the engines what are the other things i need changed and how much would those cost? i tried reading ECU-Man's DIY but there's too much "language" there..

JasonGilholme
18-10-2006, 07:47 AM
Buy a half cut and go to a workshop.

DreadAngel
18-10-2006, 08:00 AM
If you do an engine conversion, its required in NSW at least to upgrade your brakes. Other mods probably include sussy and tranny upgrades. Bascially anything that helps you to control the new heart.

teaseR
18-10-2006, 11:28 AM
^^^ does that mean u have to upgrade new woman too??
=)

roar
18-10-2006, 12:08 PM
yep get a half-cut...it'll make your life a whole lot easier as it'll have most of what you'll need

panda[cRx]
18-10-2006, 02:00 PM
location?

barefootbonzai
18-10-2006, 02:38 PM
yeah location would help.

panda - your advatar is beautiful

DreadAngel
18-10-2006, 05:04 PM
Airbags, Marvelous!

Sinbad
19-10-2006, 04:15 AM
location = perth
what's it cost to ship engines over from the east anyone know?