PDA

View Full Version : Office Debate...6hp from Air pod and a good Cold air Intake system

FastFwd
19-10-2006, 06:40 PM
I'm not to sure if this would be in the right section....sorry if its not

but i have an office debate going on...do you think it would be possible to get 6hp at the flywheel with a airpod filter and a good cold air intake system?

On a 1.6

mj3610
19-10-2006, 06:55 PM
its possible but not in most cases...

ZeForce
19-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Since 6hp at the fly is equivalent to ~3kw atw, I would think its quite possible. However, a 1-2kw gain atw is probably more common with the average setup. Really depends how restrictive the stock intake was initially...

SKREMN
19-10-2006, 07:40 PM
i would say it is possible...

dynosaur
19-10-2006, 10:13 PM
lt is posible for the Cold Air Induction ( CAI ) to gain up some hp's ....

Regarding to my experience , if u have a "cone" shape aluminium ( or carbon fibre ) surrounded the air filter + CAI setup into ur intake system + Thermoguard wrap on intake pipe and exhaust manifold . It will be a optimum setup for Intake system . ( In save $ way ;p )

option part : carbon fibre vanted bonnet ( but not cheap :( )

This setup will :
- Reduce the heat temperature contain in the engine bay.
- To prevent the intake system suck in the hot air which will reduce the engine combustion efficiency.
- majority (+/- 70%) of the air will contain most of the oxygen from atmosphere and deliver to the intake manifold and improve the combustion efficiency.
- "cone" shape aluminium ( or carbon fibre ) heat sheild can increase the flow velocity and accelerate the air delivery speed into the combustion chamber.

Example : Blitz Super Sonic Air filter ( which l m curently using now ) :)

Main target of CAI : try to protect the cold air as much as possible until deliver to the combustion chamber.

p/s : there is NO 100% efficiency in the engineering world .. :)

Stay tune bro........

bennjamin
19-10-2006, 10:24 PM
it is "possible" but you wont "feel " any difference at all. It will be noise which will "sound" faster.

CUL8R
20-10-2006, 01:09 PM
yup, 1 or 2 kW is nothing, ur butt dyno will not feel it at all, if it does its ur mind trying to convince ur money was not wasted on ur new intake setup

krogoth
20-10-2006, 02:10 PM
yup, 1 or 2 kW is nothing, ur butt dyno will not feel it at all, if it does its ur mind trying to convince ur money was not wasted on ur new intake setup

lol, u gota love the but dyno

gelo
21-10-2006, 09:37 AM
how much gain from just mugen intake?

panda[cRx]
21-10-2006, 01:25 PM
yes you will get a 6db increase with a decent intake :p

CUL8R
21-10-2006, 01:31 PM
']yes you will get a 6db increase with a decent intake :phehehe

Muzz
21-10-2006, 02:27 PM
"cone" shape aluminium ( or carbon fibre ) heat sheild can increase the flow velocity and accelerate the air delivery speed into the combustion chamber

sorry but id have to dissagree with this comment. the shape wont make any difference to the volume, velocity, or pressure of the air entering the engine.
However the shape /size of the heatshield airbox may change the speed/pressure of the air within the airbox/cone itself, no noticible change would be noticed after the air filter, which acts as a screen in the flow, inducing a pressure drop.
for any change in flow velocity after the filter(which is where it effects the engine) you would need to alter the pipes cross sectional area after the filter, increase the vacume behind the filter increase or the pressure infront of the filter. anyway in a diffuser shaped cone the flow velocity would decrease towards exit, going back to the origional velocity when the pipe resumes its origional size.

p/s : there is NO 100% efficiency in the engineering world .. :)

Stay tune bro........

there are plenty, well thousands of 100% efficient things in the engineering world, i cant imagine any engineers making that comment