PDA

View Full Version : B18C in 3rd Gen?

LUD02C
27-05-2004, 10:11 AM
A mate of mine asked me last night why i don't put a B18C in my Prelude.
How anyone does this?
If i was going to do a conversion it would be a B18C!

This is just an enquiry, i'm not planning to do it.. etc...
As most know, i'm on the hunt to buy a Series 5 RX-7!!! (keeping the lud for daily driver ;))

Jason

poid
27-05-2004, 10:41 AM
well it is because its expensive and takes a lot of effort :)

Its like 10k to do the H22A swap, and would be the same amount if not more for the B18C. As you know the B20A is a bastard engine that is different to everything else, so you need custom mounts etc etc etc

As for anyone doing it, dunno i havent heard of any here. Someone in the US is bound to have done it.

If you were gonna mod the gen3 i would just boost it *shrug*

LUD02C
27-05-2004, 11:03 AM
Turboing the standard engine would be a waste of time!
Have to re-build the internals and take out a whole lot.
I have been looking at alot of sites from the states and no one has seem to have done it. Thats why i posted maybe someone has seen it.

I spose it would be cheaper turboing the B20A6 (standard engine) then converting one in.
Majority of people could "upgrade" the internals themselves.
You would take cruise control, air con etc out to make more room.
Have battery in boot and get some custom mounts etc made up!

Why didn't the 3rd Gen get modified in the early days?
The Gen 4 has everything available for it.

poid
27-05-2004, 11:44 AM
waste of time? Perhaps in standard form, but i know of one that, when rebuilt, made a good 430hp or so at the front wheels. I'm not convinced that the air con would have to go, with a bit of creative thinking i'm sure a work around could be found. They have a reasonable amount of room in there.

gen3 i think cos they were more expensive than the tegs, and especially the civics. And then when the other B series engines were released, and the B20A had not much in common with them, it sealed its fate. The gen4 has everything cos the H series is popular enough and the "big block" of Honda engines

nesh
27-05-2004, 04:27 PM
i dont think its a waste of time turboing the gen 3, there is a dude that has done one without doing the internals, it still has reasnoble power and its automatic, he just cant realy go over 7pound... im planning on turboing my at the end of the year but i plan to change evrything, and i think the aircon or cruise cntrol or smething like that has to go

azjs
27-05-2004, 04:30 PM
One of the guys in PA has done it a couple of years ago, still running reliably now - our next monthly meet - he should be there too if you want to chat about it

-az

poid
27-05-2004, 08:57 PM
i would do it to my brothers if he would let me :D

McChook
27-05-2004, 09:31 PM
Jase, my opinion is sell it and buy something else.
Personally, the 3rd gen is too old, don't go spending money on it that you will never recover. Economically, it is a waste of time.....

azjs
28-05-2004, 12:02 AM
You do have a point - but since when is modding a car economically sound? ;)

-az

LUD02C
28-05-2004, 10:14 AM
Boys, read the first post.
This is just out of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone had done it.
I’m not going to do any conversion or turbo the 3rd Gen.
I need a run around and reliable car for when I get my Rx-7 and the Prelude is that car!

McChook
28-05-2004, 05:53 PM
Ahhh, now that makes a lot of sence to be honest...

Cause we all know what rotaries (chicken cookers) are like

Wank Wank Wank BOOOOOM - another dead apex seal
****ing rotaries.......

LUD02C
29-05-2004, 09:16 AM
Matt, don't be like that!

Hawk
04-06-2004, 10:33 PM
I have a gen 3 prelude, running the original block with a T28 hanging off the front.

--- > http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/album_page.php?pic_id=448

I still have all the air con , and cruise control on there and working.

Reliabilty comes with common sense, running 20 psi is not very reliable but running 10 is.

LUD02C
05-06-2004, 10:05 AM
Hawk, looks like you have a nice setup.
Can you do abit of a write up about it?

Hawk
16-06-2004, 06:20 AM
Hawk, looks like you have a nice setup.
Can you do abit of a write up about it?

OK I didn't do ALL the work. The guy who did it all sold it after 25 000km and the guy who bought it from him let it sit in his front yard once the battery went flat. So I got a steal of a price.

The engine is fully rebuilt using genuine Honda parts (u would all know how high of a quality honda parts are) with the aid of a laser cut decomp plate.

The turbo is a T28 bolted to a custom manifold which then dumps through a 3 inch exhaust. The intercooler is sourced from an EVO Lancer, and the battery now lives in the boot.

Everything else is still in its original place.

Engine management is now done by a microtec system, and the whole setup can safely and REALIABLY run 15 psi all day long. (clutch permitting)

I am yet to run it down the quarter but will be hoping for a high 13. Anything under that is just a bonus.

Cheers
FastAz