PDA

View Full Version : buzzing noise from parcel shelf area

chicken8
20-10-2006, 09:11 AM
i put the roof up for the 1st time last night and was driving home from work. and i turned off the radio just to listen to the car running

and i hear a buzzing noise from behind my head. around where the roof would sit

its so faint that i cant hear it if the stereo is on but when the stereo is off its noticeable

it sounds almost like an electrical buzzing but quite different to the clutch buzz. its not as loud and its more pitchy sounding kind of buzz

i checked the spare tyre and its locked down properly and all the clips in the boot

anyone else have something similar or know whats making the sound?

and i got an 02 so its not a clutch buzz

destrukshn
20-10-2006, 09:25 AM
wind deflector?
lol.

chicken8
20-10-2006, 09:30 AM
will that make that sound?

but this is with the roof up

i get no nois with the roof down. or maybe i do get a noise but cant hear it due to road noise etc

destrukshn
20-10-2006, 09:31 AM
oh roof up.
my bad.

sinb
20-10-2006, 09:37 AM
i put the roof up for the 1st time last night and was driving home from work. and i turned off the radio just to listen to the car running

and i hear a buzzing noise from behind my head. around where the roof would sit

its so faint that i cant hear it if the stereo is on but when the stereo is off its noticeable

it sounds almost like an electrical buzzing but quite different to the clutch buzz. its not as loud and its more pitchy sounding kind of buzz

i checked the spare tyre and its locked down properly and all the clips in the boot

anyone else have something similar or know whats making the sound?

and i got an 02 so its not a clutch buzz

Does it follow the tune of your engine? for example does it buzz in time with acceleration or gear change etc? I get a buzz too but it sounds nice.. I am guessing the computer chip or engine management system? I dont know where it sits though.

chicken8
20-10-2006, 09:40 AM
not really in sync with my engine

rather in sync with speed? like it'll only happen faster than 50km/hr and/or going over bumpy road

and its quite faint. like a mobile phone vibrating. so if i have the music on like regular level i cant hear anything

and with roof down i cant hear anything. or rather road noise cancels out the buzzing?

sinb
20-10-2006, 09:42 AM
not really in sync with my engine

rather in sync with speed? like it'll only happen faster than 50km/hr and/or going over bumpy road

and its quite faint. like a mobile phone vibrating. so if i have the music on like regular level i cant hear anything

and with roof down i cant hear anything. or rather road noise cancels out the buzzing?

Yeah I reckon its the computer chip. But its a guess..!!

destrukshn
20-10-2006, 09:44 AM
engine noise will come in at all speeds, this is coming in at 50km/h.
wind noise?
don't feel no wind coming through?

chicken8
20-10-2006, 09:47 AM
destrukshn: nah the windows are closed and its buzzing noise not a whirring noise

could be a vibrating spring sorta sound or a rattling screw. but really intense sort of sound. buzzing is the best way i can describe it

and its totally different to the clutch buzz as i driven 00 models before and know what that sounds like. this sound is 10 times quieter and a bit more pitchy in sound compared to clutch buzz

JasonGilholme
20-10-2006, 09:52 AM
Something to do with the ABS unit?? Is the ABS computer back there??? maybe its not bolted down proper.

chicken8
20-10-2006, 12:11 PM
just got to uni. this time heard it with the roof down

ok this is what it sounds like. u know when ur at the lights and ur idling and u have the air con on

and ur car goes from normal idling to a louder level of idling? like a grunting?

well its kinda like that except its coming from behind me as opposed to in front of me which is where the noise from the idling would come from

JasonGilholme
20-10-2006, 12:13 PM
So you can hear it at idle as well??

And it gets louder at speed??

Sounds like something is loose. Grab a mate and pull it apart.

chicken8
20-10-2006, 12:15 PM
nah i cant hear it at idle

can only hear it at speeds of above 50 and/or when i go over bumpy roads

i think it could be wind affected. so perhaps the roof

chicken8
20-10-2006, 12:16 PM
i just used the idling with air con on to describe the sound of the buzzing

its quite similar. but its not when i hear the buzzing

JasonGilholme
20-10-2006, 12:17 PM
ah ok cool. Just sounds like somethins loose man. Could be the air flow through the chassis makin somethin vibrate. Open her up and check.

chicken8
20-10-2006, 12:18 PM
scared to open it up and see

JasonGilholme
20-10-2006, 12:20 PM
Don't be man. Just take your time, don't rush. be firm, yet gentle and all will be ok.

i was the same with my new delsol. Still a bit apprehensive at times but if you take your time you won't brake anythin. :thumbsup:

There might be some knowledgable S2000 DIY's in your area too. Ya never know.

chicken8
20-10-2006, 12:22 PM
its under warranty so i'll just go get honda to check them out later.

really don't want to be taking any panels off myself

WhiteAP1
20-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Take it easy man dont open anything up!!. The S is famous for creeks,ratles,buzzes and the like. Ure car is fine, its just somthing ure gonna have to get use to. U dont wanna void ure waranty. And just to clarify its certainly not ure ECU. Do not open anything, especially ure rear tray. If u need to look there,go through the boot, take the lining out and stick ure head in.

Also heres an indication of what "sounds" ure car might make, there all perfectly normal, if something stops working then do something about it.

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=269436

If u start taking ure car apart im gonna come up there and slap ya ;)

WhiteAP1
20-10-2006, 02:30 PM
Also i keep a few things in my console, they tend to rattle and vibrate, check nothing small and metal has been left in there or is stuck in the corner of ure tray.

chicken8
20-10-2006, 03:04 PM
lol thanks for that dude

yeah i think its most likely a spring or a small screw lodged somewhere

i got warranty so in a month or so i'll take the car back with a list of things im not happy with and get them to find them all

Svelte'
20-10-2006, 07:37 PM
I don't own a S2k; instead I have an EK1 and am experiencing exactly what you are going through. Buzzing sorta rattling sound coming from the back. On and off. I asked a mechanic to check it out and we drove for a good 10 minutes and it was dead silent and when I was driving home, it came on again. If I find out before you do, I will post some suggestions so you can isolate the problem and hopefully you'll do likewise.

chicken8
20-10-2006, 08:24 PM
thanks buddy

the dealership is sending some1 to remove a dent on my bootlid that they did during delivery so i'll get them to see if they can find the rattle

that'll be on wednesday

BRU51N
21-10-2006, 12:07 AM
i might be way off, but maybe wheel bearing? i guess if your roofs on, it may echo through or something. its weird that it only happens over 50km/h

chicken8
21-10-2006, 10:02 AM
yeah it only happens at speed or going over bumpy roads

thats y i think its vibration related

aaronng said just silicon spray all the moving parts of the roof see if that helps

to me it sounds definately like a spring. cause a loose screw cant rattle that fast. its rattling so fast that it sounds like electrical buzzing

aaronng
21-10-2006, 10:13 AM
Hey I didn't say all moving parts. Just on the spring if you think that's the buzzing. Personally, I'd use 303 protectant on all seals. Dry seals touching againt the convertible roof can cause a buzzing sound as well.

chicken8
21-10-2006, 10:16 AM
i'll just come over today and u can go nuts with the sealants and sprays

chicken8
22-10-2006, 12:10 AM
drove home from work on the freeway today doing 80km/hr in 6th all the way

went over bumps and drains and stuff and not a squeek

so i think i can narrow it down to vibrations

integrity
23-10-2006, 11:42 AM
it is the clip that is rattling when the top is down from behind you.
its cause it is loose it rattles.
get a touneau cover if you dont want that rattle buddy

chicken8
23-10-2006, 11:51 AM
nah its buzzing when the roof is UP

when its done theres nothing

aaron silicon sprayed 1 of the springs that we thought COULD have made the buzzing and i also changed my driving style and now there seems to be no noise

dunno which was it. the silicon spray or my under revving

integrity
23-10-2006, 12:56 PM
try driving how you drive now and see how it goes ...
it may be simply the spring

chicken8
23-10-2006, 01:37 PM
yeah before i was shifting at 2500rpm. and the buzzing would come on at certain times.

now im shifting at 3000rpm and there isnt any buzzing. so im guessing i was underrevving it and it was causing vibrations and resonance to go thruout the car to find the weakest spot. which turned out to be the spring thats right next to ur head. u know the 1 behind the bar that looks like a handle right over ur head?

so silicon sprayed that spring and been driving properly and not granny styles

integrity
24-10-2006, 10:50 AM
heheh sorry buddy i never realised i had a spring over my head lolz
i got a hardtop hahahaha