PDA

View Full Version : Turbo or Not To Turbo my teg

Cold Fusion
20-10-2006, 10:23 AM
it has come to a stage where im thinking about either going turbo on my teg or not, but im not sure if i want to or not, well i do, but the cost factor is the only thing that is scaring me heh, i have a recently new rebuilt engine so the Ks on my engine are not a factor for me engine being to "old", and my car is in pretty good working order at the moment (one minor fuel problem but im fixing that soon)

i brought some crower 403's from someone, and i might be swapping them for turbo cams (if crower let me) and then ill put them in while going turbo, but if not, will the 403's still work and will i still get a gain? and is it safe still?

i have to get out a loan to get this turbo, i am also getting it painted (due to somsone braking into it and hurting panels) and that will be 3.5 grand, and i would get out a 7k loan, so id have around 5.5k to spend on my thing (want to get new brake pads, camber kit and rear sway bar) and so id have around 4k to spend on the kit, i already have the ECU (greddy emanage with some harnesses) to use since im only using a mild 7psi boost.

Any suggestions? thanks :)

JasonGilholme
20-10-2006, 10:38 AM
You might need a bit more then 4k for the engine if you wanna go turbo. Mainly due to labour costs for tuning (and install if you don't DIY)

Cold Fusion
20-10-2006, 11:43 AM
id DIY most of the install for the turbo and then yeh just get it tuned.

Q_ball
20-10-2006, 11:43 AM
Search!!!!!

Forced induction section, as well as the Integra and Noob sections.
Covered many times!

teaseR
20-10-2006, 11:56 AM
3.5 paint + 5.5 to play with = does not equal to 7 grand!!! thats 9

JasonGilholme
20-10-2006, 11:57 AM
OMFG HE"S RIGHT!!!!

Damn thats embarrassing. :o

xtercii
20-10-2006, 11:59 AM
he's probably got 2k of saving?

JasonGilholme
20-10-2006, 12:00 PM
yeah. thats it..... :o i knew that :o

Cold Fusion
20-10-2006, 12:41 PM
yeh its 2k saving heh i forgot to mention :P

Mr_will
20-10-2006, 12:59 PM
unless you plan on doing a lot of the work yourself, i would vote NO to turbo-ing it.

mainly because at the end of the day you can buy something faster, and probably more reliable for less than it will cost you to get everything done professionall.

however if you are going to DIY the whole thing, as long as you are sensible and look around for the best value parts, then you will be able to do it relatively cheaply

saxman
20-10-2006, 01:06 PM
just avoid ebay parts...

if someone tries to sell you a manifold like this, or a kit with a manifold like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-Honda-B16-B18-BSeries-Civic-Integra-Turbo-Manifold_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQhashZit em150046804645QQihZ005QQitemZ150046804645QQrdZ1

laugh in their face and never go to them for buisness again

krogoth
20-10-2006, 02:24 PM
IMHO, turboing FWD cars is a bad idea

for a start, its alot of work getting an engine thats been designed for NA ready for forced induction, im sure u know that...just restating...

all that power on a FWD will make it the steering difficult, stiff and hard to predict

5.5k isnt enuf for turbo...ull need more than that, and dont cheap out on the tuning, its very important, if tuning isnt done properly, youl achieve shit power gains and may damage ur engine

if u sell ur LS and use the 9k u got set aside, u can get urself a sylvia, or an r32, they are built turbo and they RWD, as turbo cars are meant to be

of course if u want to be different (and i respect that)..ull have to stick to ur current idea, but personally i think turbo and FWD just dont go together

if VTEC kikin in gives the steering wheel enuf of a jolt..how bout turbo?

saxman
20-10-2006, 03:01 PM
what are you talking about?

hard to set the motor up for boost? You can bolt a turbo onto a completely stock motor and with a reasonable boost level and a good tune have absolutely no problem with the motor. There is no reason to need to do anything to the motor unless you want more power.

Also, while my car was turboed, I never had a single problem with steering problems, etc. The car drove great and was very predictable. It depends entirely on what kind of set up you're running, and how the powerband is shaped.

Vinnie
20-10-2006, 03:13 PM
unless you plan on doing a lot of the work yourself, i would vote NO to turbo-ing it.

mainly because at the end of the day you can buy something faster, and probably more reliable for less than it will cost you to get everything done professionall.

however if you are going to DIY the whole thing, as long as you are sensible and look around for the best value parts, then you will be able to do it relatively cheaply

at the end of the day, its ur decision mate. chances are that if ure looking to do any substantial mods to any car that if u put all that money towards another car u cood prob get sumthing better but thats not the point of modding. if u liek ur car and want it to go faster and have the all the funds ready for neccessary installation, tuning and other components then i say go for it. ive seen 170fwkw turbo gen4 accords from about the same era so its certainly doable and although there will be an element of tourque steer, its not gonna make ur car impossible to handle or anything. alternatively, if ur not as dedicated to keeping ur car then jus sell it and get sumthing else as theres no denying that its certainly not gonna be cheap and will prob cost more than u originally plan for (things always do...). in any case, good luck with wateva u go with :)

Q_ball
20-10-2006, 03:34 PM
IMHO, turboing FWD cars is a bad idea

for a start, its alot of work getting an engine thats been designed for NA ready for forced induction, im sure u know that...just restating...

all that power on a FWD will make it the steering difficult, stiff and hard to predict

5.5k isnt enuf for turbo...ull need more than that, and dont cheap out on the tuning, its very important, if tuning isnt done properly, youl achieve shit power gains and may damage ur engine

if u sell ur LS and use the 9k u got set aside, u can get urself a sylvia, or an r32, they are built turbo and they RWD, as turbo cars are meant to be

of course if u want to be different (and i respect that)..ull have to stick to ur current idea, but personally i think turbo and FWD just dont go together

if VTEC kikin in gives the steering wheel enuf of a jolt..how bout turbo?
You really need to drive one to see what the big fuss is all about!
Imo, driving my FWD turbo has been more fun than any NA Honda that ive driven!

With 9k, u can turbo charge ur Honda with stock internals very very easily.
Bout 4-5k for a good bolt on kit, leavin u with roughly 4k to get a good install and tune.
Seein as he is willing to do the application himself, 4k is more than enough for support.

Use the remainin money to upgrade tyres, brakes and sussy.

You'll have one fast, and very very fun LS!

Cold Fusion
20-10-2006, 03:41 PM
hehe turbo people say to turbo, non turbo people say to leave it! hehe its a tough decision heh

Q_ball
20-10-2006, 03:43 PM
hehe turbo people say to turbo, non turbo people say to leave it! hehe its a tough decision heh
Thats why asking these questions is stupid LOL
Im sure you woulda known this b4 posting it hehe

Do some searchs, build ur own impressions of the matter by readin other ppls experiences.
You know its do-able with 9k.
Jst work out urself how much u want it!

Drive one and find out!!!

EKVTIR-T
20-10-2006, 04:35 PM
See if you can get a ride in a turbo honda and your decision will be made..;)

Cold Fusion
20-10-2006, 04:51 PM
yeh im gonna ask a mate who has a turbo civic if i can go for a ride in it :)

saxman
20-10-2006, 04:59 PM
weird that the people with experience are all for it, and those that don't aren't... go figure

and honestly, if you have to budget 9k for a stock internalled set up, you're doing something seriously wrong. Yes, I know things are cheaper here in the US, but there's no reason you need to spend anywhere near that kind of money.

.::F[L]Y::.
20-10-2006, 05:16 PM
end of the day instead of trying to get alot of power out of a honda engine the best bang for buck method is to boost it.

krogoth
20-10-2006, 08:19 PM
what are you talking about?

hard to set the motor up for boost? You can bolt a turbo onto a completely stock motor and with a reasonable boost level and a good tune have absolutely no problem with the motor. There is no reason to need to do anything to the motor unless you want more power.

Also, while my car was turboed, I never had a single problem with steering problems, etc. The car drove great and was very predictable. It depends entirely on what kind of set up you're running, and how the powerband is shaped.

wat ur saying is very true, but to leave engine running on stock internals...i dont think u can boost it much more than 6-7psi...

as for steering issues, ive heard of ppl losing control becoz of a sudden burst of power and getting a bit of a jolt in their steering weel.. which can be dangerous. im sure its not an issue for a good driver...

a DIY job will prob cost less than 5k.. but wat bout tuning? he has to get that done professionally and i have no idea how much thatll cost.. could be a few hundred or more,

if he wants massive power gains, im talkin like runing 160kw+ atw, heel defintely need some internal upgrades, IMO

saxman
21-10-2006, 06:47 AM
even 6-7 psi will make a huge difference in power. Sure, to go a good bit more than that, internal work will be needed, but even on a stock internaled set up you can make very good power gains.

Only reason you're going to get snap power like that is with poor turbo selection. If you get something with a broader, more usable powerband, this isn't as much of an issue.

gambate
21-10-2006, 08:24 AM
assuming you have a LS, why not upgrade to teg vtir or even type r instead of doin the LS?

Mr_will
21-10-2006, 08:12 PM
assuming you have a LS, why not upgrade to teg vtir or even type r instead of doin the LS?

because for the cost of upgrading he can make his ls ridiculously fast - ie faster than either of the above.