PDA

View Full Version : my cat is dead?

jenova
27-05-2004, 11:02 AM
symptons:

1. annoying rattling sound from the cat at idle, but go away once started driving
2. layer of thin black soot on rear bumper after driving
3. slight back firing when let go of throttle during driving (but only happen sometimes)
4. exhaust gas has strange smell (hard to describe but smell like burnt petrol)

conclusion?

h22a accord
27-05-2004, 11:37 AM
dude, list the make, model, year and km of your car.

Javed
27-05-2004, 12:29 PM
It doesnt matter what make, rear or model his car is, as they sound like symtoms of catalytic converter failure. Usually the giveaway is the black soot you speak of. Also is there any smoke when you give the car a bit of a boot?

MTX BOY
27-05-2004, 03:29 PM
What petrol are you using? if your car is running rich it may blow a bit of black smoke when you hit VTEC etc. so there would be a bit of black soot on the back of your car as a result of this.

jenova
27-05-2004, 03:39 PM
ok guys, here's more info

dc2r using optimax with header, aftermarket cat ( only 4 months old ) :( and spoon n1. not sure if there's smoke coming out on vtec but i only see white smoke under extreme cold weather during startup.

MTX BOY
27-05-2004, 04:27 PM
The white smoke wouldnt be smoke just hot air from ur engine coming into the colder air..appears like smoke. You should get someone to drive behind you for a while and VTEC to see if black smoke comes out. If it does its just that your cars running a bit rich and itll probably go away also its not a bad thing really.

Javed
27-05-2004, 04:43 PM
If it is an aftermarket cat or high flow then as MTX BOY stated hitting the high revs and VTEC would see a bit of smoke produced!

civicboy
27-05-2004, 08:07 PM
might be da bolts just rattling? dunno

**PIMPIN**ACCORD
27-05-2004, 09:01 PM
symptons:

conclusion?

Well atleast we know ur spark plugs are doing their job ;)

Weq
27-05-2004, 09:41 PM
ur running rich
ur cat is fine.
it ur cat was clogged up u would feel a big performance differce. if it was crumbled away/not working anymore, ur exahust would smeel like rotten egg cause the sulphur wasnt being 'reacted' with in the cat anymore.

CIVIC-R
29-05-2004, 05:27 AM
Hey.... the exact same thing is happening to me - like identical. the way im goin to solve it. is remove my cat when i get some headers.

its annoying tho hey. let me know how urs goes

Rowie
29-05-2004, 05:35 AM
isnt it illegal to run without a CAT

MTX BOY
29-05-2004, 09:34 AM

Yeah because of exhaust emissions etc.

ginganggooly
29-05-2004, 01:06 PM
symptons:

1. annoying rattling sound from the cat at idle, but go away once started driving
2. layer of thin black soot on rear bumper after driving
3. slight back firing when let go of throttle during driving (but only happen sometimes)

conclusion?

i ended up with a thick build up of soot on my rear bumper when my cat was fk'd up. the car would blow out a fair bit of black smoke when driving hard. people were telling me it was running rich etc... but when it went up on the dyno, the operator (at C&V) said that the a:f readings weren't abnormally rich.

turned out to be a rooted cat.
got a new one in, and the problem disappeared.

jenova
29-05-2004, 10:48 PM
well, I am going to take it back to the shop and swap for another cat. what brand are u guys using instead of this carsound crap.

civicboy
30-05-2004, 12:54 AM
cat co or magna flow

CIVIC-R
31-05-2004, 09:33 PM

Not in the NT.

jenova
31-05-2004, 10:47 PM
carsound = magna flow :(
so, how's the performance and quality of catco?

LatinoHatchCrap
01-06-2004, 09:41 PM
hey i seem to be getting the same problwm (the balck soot that is) but only after i got my hondata.
I reckon with any agressive setup the black soot is liveable.
I usually find that if i wash my car on saturday it takes a little more than a week for the black soot to become really noticible.
Im only running the stock d15b cat with my swap though :( maybe thats the prob???

VTi-RT
01-06-2004, 10:08 PM
If you cat is broken (the filter has come loose or broken off - looks like mesh when you look through the cat), you'll have to pay for a new one - not covered through warranty.

This happen's because of your exhaust emissions overheating/melting the filter due to poor tuning. The exhaust place i go to get's lots of this.

MTX BOY
02-06-2004, 05:09 PM

Not in the NT.

But Jenova is in Melbourne so why does that matter? Plus anything is legal in NT. :D

CIVIC-R
09-06-2004, 03:10 PM

Not in the NT.

But Jenova is in Melbourne so why does that matter? Plus anything is legal in NT. :D

Well read all before you write next time... I said i had exactly the same problem as him.

MTX BOY
11-06-2004, 08:46 AM

Not in the NT.

Well read all before you write next time... I said i had exactly the same problem as him.

oh k..no worries mang~

aussie_legend
14-12-2004, 11:54 AM
i have the same problem on my 96 Del Sol (jap imp). i think it must be the cat making the rattling sound and the exhaust does smell like rotten egg.
i had one quote for hi flow cat $360 then another guy at parramatta quoted $550 saying its a much higher quality - bigger, cooler etc(he sounded like he knew what he was talking about). He called it an AC cat - is that the brand?
How much should it cost?

Boost
14-12-2004, 12:51 PM
Cat. converters only have a certain life span before the catalyst has reacted with the maximum molecules it can react with then it dies. Running too rich will also kill the cat quicker. Warming up the car can help filter the hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide better, keeping the air clearner.

PhatSol
14-12-2004, 07:49 PM
i have the same problem on my 96 Del Sol (jap imp). i think it must be the cat making the rattling sound and the exhaust does smell like rotten egg.
i had one quote for hi flow cat $360 then another guy at parramatta quoted $550 saying its a much higher quality - bigger, cooler etc(he sounded like he knew what he was talking about). He called it an AC cat - is that the brand?
How much should it cost?
$550 sounds way too much for a cat unless your talking about 3" highflow...

aussie_legend
14-12-2004, 08:04 PM
well its not 3 inch. Its still stock. i was thinking on getting a catco, anyone know if they are good?