PDA

View Full Version : Dip stick housing loose?

kwayzivietnamese
20-10-2006, 09:43 PM
Hi guys,
just have abit of a small issue i wanna get rid off...
The dip stick housing to my b18c7 is abit loose..there is play in it so u can move it left n right (no play at all up n down....just left n right) with the dip stick...
I tried to turn it clockwise thinking it would tighten it but it didnt help...i got pissed so u just tugged at it with all i had and it came right off! :eek:
There was no o-ring or anything...i "clicked" it back into place and im at exactly where i started off...a stupid dip stick housing with left n right play...
Does any1 else have this problem?
Does any1 know if there should be an o-ring for the thing?
And most importantly, does any1 know how to fix it so it can be as toiyt as a virgin?

destrukshn
20-10-2006, 09:44 PM
yes there should be an o-ring
call up your honda dealer tomorrow, might have em
lol.

BlitZ
20-10-2006, 10:18 PM
this seems to be fairly common problem with B18c7.. 2 mates have the same issue..
I was told u need to remove the complete oil pan to fix it..

kwayzivietnamese
20-10-2006, 10:44 PM
destrukshnn - i figured there should have been an o-ring for the housing...so i removed some piping off an a/c unit off some parts i had lying around...n i found a good match up...yet it still doesnt make the housing firm...and i dont see how an o-ring can fix the playness in the housing...
Do you know what needs to be done to fix the playness?

Blitz - removing the oil pan? but there is no thread on the dip stick housing at all for a "screw" of any type to be secured to it...

destrukshn
20-10-2006, 10:46 PM
i didn't know much about the housing part of it.
but sometimes o-rings can make it tight.

BlitZ
21-10-2006, 01:06 PM
destrukshnn - i figured there should have been an o-ring for the housing...so i removed some piping off an a/c unit off some parts i had lying around...n i found a good match up...yet it still doesnt make the housing firm...and i dont see how an o-ring can fix the playness in the housing...
Do you know what needs to be done to fix the playness?

Blitz - removing the oil pan? but there is no thread on the dip stick housing at all for a "screw" of any type to be secured to it...

PM astro... he had a similiar issue and he inquiried about getting it fixed.. somwething about u can tap weld it from bottom..

he ended up using several Cable ties from different directions hahheheh:thumbsup:

Slow96GSR
21-10-2006, 01:25 PM
You could use a expander/punch to seat it firmly from the oil pan side. Might have to buy a new housing though.

kwayzivietnamese
21-10-2006, 04:59 PM
Question is - how do these bastards come lose?
How are they firmly held into place from factory?

fatboyz39
21-10-2006, 05:13 PM
pretty hard for them to come loose..... Check the bracket and see if its tighten. I would think you'll only neeed to take off the headers to get to the dipstick, but i might be wrong.

kwayzivietnamese
21-10-2006, 08:15 PM
There is no bracket that i can see on or near the dipstick housing..its just a long rod that goes into the block with nothing between the housing and block...
I can get to the housing without having to take off the headers..just stick my hands around them...but yeah...no screw, bracket, or anything i see that can fasten it down to the block :(

Slow96GSR
21-10-2006, 09:32 PM
They are somewhat pressed in. They should not come loose unless you have pulled them to one side. It happens a lot though. Easiest fix is to get a new one, but I would first rack the car and check under the pan to make sure it isn't the block that is bad. If the block was beat up then a new one won't help, it'll be loose too.

l3vnd1
05-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Apologies for bumping an old thread.

Have the same issue - went to honda to purchase a new dip stick tube but the service manager posed the dillemna to me that it actually might be the hole in the block that has been bored out making it loose.

Tube costs $21

What is a more likely cause guys - worn out tube or bored out hole?

If its definately only the tube I will purchase.

If it is the hole - are there any cheaper ways of repairing?

l3vnd1
06-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Had my mechanic put some silicon around the base of the oil plug tube.

Will see if the problem goes away