PDA

View Full Version : DC2R: Lowering and sway bar

kwayzivietnamese
20-10-2006, 11:24 PM
Hi guys,
im thinking about lowering my dc2r and possibly purchasing aftermarket sway bars...

I dont have much $$$ to play with so i was thinking either compressing/resetting my springs - or getting king springs or kmac. Either option will be a 1.5" drop.
Will either option worsen my handling? Which option is better and why?
Is it really worth the extra $$$ for the tein or spoon spring option? If so, why? Although these will drop the ride height by 2", deeming impractical in some cases...

Secondly, sway bars...what would you recommend (both size and brand)?
I assume these make a big difference in handling or is my assumption wrong?

jdm_kid
21-10-2006, 12:44 AM
dc2r came with sway bars .... n a tie bar ...

TECBOY
21-10-2006, 12:47 AM
dont waste ur cash on springs.
save ur pennys for as long as it takes and get sum coil overs....otherwise u very well could take a step back in handling instead of going forward.
also u shuldnt need "sway bars" as u put it, BUT if u want thiker one u can fit it. Beware tho that they can affect understear and oversteer
do ur research before making a move
cheers

kwayzivietnamese
21-10-2006, 01:30 AM
Yeah they come with sway bars and tie rods...but even so there is still understeer...so hence i was thinking of getting aftermarket ones? No? Dont bother?

I wont be able to afford coil overs...now or even in a years time...hence i asked about springs :o

xtercii
21-10-2006, 08:32 AM
I reckon go for some quality springs like spoon.

jdm_kid
21-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Yeah they come with sway bars and tie rods...but even so there is still understeer...so hence i was thinking of getting aftermarket ones? No? Dont bother?

I wont be able to afford coil overs...now or even in a years time...hence i asked about springs :o

get some strut bars :thumbsup:

destrukshn
21-10-2006, 09:46 AM
but they already have strut bars

[ricer]
21-10-2006, 09:53 AM
my friend only had cusco zero 2 in his dc2r with everything else left stock and the car was so nice to drive around corners and the car stayed reasonably flat...

i guess only thing he really needed was some better tyres...

Chi
21-10-2006, 10:03 AM

They have chasis/strut brace.

Strut bars go ontop of the suspension.

jdm_kid
21-10-2006, 10:18 AM

noob lol
they only have a front chasis brace :p
get a rear and front strut bar & also a lower rear strut bar (dirt cheap mod) :thumbsup:

krogoth
21-10-2006, 10:38 AM
dont waste ur cash on springs.
save ur pennys for as long as it takes and get sum coil overs....otherwise u very well could take a step back in handling instead of going forward.
also u shuldnt need "sway bars" as u put it, BUT if u want thiker one u can fit it. Beware tho that they can affect understear and oversteer
do ur research before making a move
cheers

yes i agree with tecboy, dont get springs

ther arent too many out ther that are of a better quality as the stock type R springs

IMO, all the sway bars, strut bars..all of that stuff, doesnt need to be replaced as they are of an excellent quality already

if u still want to improve the handling, the way to go is for coilovers, find urself a top of the range one....ull need it to feel an improvement in the type R's handling as, IMO, that car has one of the best handling characterestics around

1900-hustler
21-10-2006, 10:53 AM
the only springs that i have tried are eibach .. they dropped the car about 1" all round so it wasnt much of a drop.. handling wasnt affected badly.. infact id say it remained the same.. alot of people in the UK have done this thats why i also did..

handling was practically the same. ride was slightly stiffer and good thing is that u dint need to change the shocks .. however in the long run its prolly better than u do.. ie to koni yellows or something..

if ur lookin for springs only.. id be looking at eibach.. they are proven to be one of the better suited springs for dc2r.. however they can be abit pricey at around 500-600 from wat i can remember..

kwayzivietnamese
21-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Mmm mixed responses with the springs area...
Jdm kid - pm has been sent

Any recommendations on the sway bar area? I was thinking probably whiteline 24mm adjustable? From what i hear theres 3 settings? Soft, medium and hard....what setting would you guys recommend?

stormridah
21-10-2006, 09:13 PM
if your interested in some prokits let me know
ive got some for sale

kelviN
21-10-2006, 10:03 PM
Are you sure u want to lower? Type r's are already a bit of a hassle driving around speedhumps and driveways.

But anyways, if u do decide to lower kingsprings will be worse than standard springs.

m3ntAL_l2
21-10-2006, 10:11 PM
^^^^ i lowered my in kingS, cant really tell the difference on steering, just feels like its more soft/bouncy than teh stock when u drive over a hump or sumthinG

[CRA23]
22-10-2006, 12:24 AM
the stock sway bar for the DC2R is 24mm anyways, u can go jdm 98spec 25mm or i cusco make a 25mm rear one

bigjo5
22-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Mmm mixed responses with the springs area...
Jdm kid - pm has been sent

Any recommendations on the sway bar area? I was thinking probably whiteline 24mm adjustable? From what i hear theres 3 settings? Soft, medium and hard....what setting would you guys recommend?

just leave ur sway bar set up as it is.. there already as thick as it can get.. spending money on gettin another one that is 1mm bigger is just gonna be waste of money. i'd say just get the strut bars and coilover will mad a massive ***N! difference.. on ur handling lol.
cheers john

kwayzivietnamese
22-10-2006, 07:49 PM
I wish i could afford coil overs! But as my wallet has it, i wont be able to get em at all...

nabsie
25-10-2006, 12:45 PM
The cost of a cheap set of coilovers...such as D2 is going to be close to the cost of buying a good set of springs, and sway bars and getting them fitted, if you arent going to fit them yourself.

So what I am trying to say is that I would personally buy coilovers over doing the springs and sway bars or even strut bars because I think the coilovers will provide a better upgrade for the $ over springs and sways. Also coilovers are piece of cake to fit, so fitting them yourself or with a couple of mates shouldnt be a problem.

Just my 2c

Cheers

bennjamin
25-10-2006, 12:52 PM
save up and get coilovers and a good alignment. Thats it. The DC2R is a brilliantly handling car stock - coilovers would be the only addition with adjustability for track/street.

kwayzivietnamese
26-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Haha damn u guys for being such a great influence...got meself some coilovers...and now i got meself a very very empty wallet :(

nabsie
26-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Ahhh the greatness of us! and of peer pressure. :) well done mate.

What coilovers did you end up buying?